Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottfam125

White english rose with great blooming power like Bishops Castle?

Hi everyone, I love, love, love my Bishops Castle and was looking for a white english rose that has the same great traits of the Bishops Castle. I have Glamis Castle but it just won't grow much and doesn't bloom as well as Bishops Castle. I also have a Mary Rose that blooms great and it puts out a white bloom every now and then so I was thinking of getting a white Mary Rose (Winchester Cathedral is what pulls up on GW - HMF) and see how it does. Anyway please suggest away for any good white blooming english. Thanks, Judy

Comments (13)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

If I had any space at all left in my gardens, I would seriously consider Claire Austin. It looks like it should be a terrific rose--white blend, good disease-resistance according to several sources I researched, and about 4 ft tall and 3 ft wide. I think that full-packed bloom is gorgeous.

Hopefully, someone who is actually growing this rose will back me on this. Have to confess--I haven't really seen it in person. However, it is named after David Austin's daughter--I don't think he would do that with a dud.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Claire Austin at helpmefind

• phylrae
    14 years ago

Kate, Claire Austin looks nice! I was going to recommend you try Winchester Cathedral.....it is always blooming here! Of course, blooms shatter kind of quickly like many Austins....but it is a great shrub! I think that before we purchased it about 6-8 years ago, I asked ppl here and it was one of the most recommended white Austins. :0) Phyl

• susan4952
    14 years ago

My Claire Austin, new this year, is still TINY. MAybe 10 inches tall. I planted her in early May in optimal conditions. Think she may be a late bloomer. She is so new will have to wait until next year for verdict. I felt the same about him naming her after his daughter. My Winchester Cathedral had smaller blooms and had a hint of pink/cream. CA has pure white blooms.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks you guys!!! I did see Claire on the website but it had already sold out by the time sloooooow me got around to looking at it. My Bishops Castle is my longest blooming english rose even when I cut them and bring them in. All my others shatter real quick. Thanks for the suggestions. Judy

• everyrose
    14 years ago

How about Crocus Rose? I planted mine last Nov and I've been very impressed. It is already 5 feet tall and hasn't stopped blooming. It is not a "nodder"--the canes are stiff and the blooms face up, but I do give it some support (5 ft canes on any rose can flop with wind, rain, kids, knocking them over). The color is pale apricot fading to white. Light sweet fragrance. Don't know how it would do in your climate but we have had a hot summer (for the PNW) and it has done very well. No blackspot (no spray) but it has gotten some powdery mildew lately.

• predfern
    14 years ago

Another rose to consider is Bolero (Romantica). It survives the winter in zone 5, no disease, and has lots of beautiful fragrant white blooms.

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

I have a Windermere (Austin) that I planted last year. Afgter a brutal winter it was one of the hardiest, and I liked it so much I bought another one! The blooms are a little creamy rather than bright white, but it is vigorous and bloms wonderfully. I should get a picture of the two Windermere's side-by-side. This year's planting is just absolutely taking off!!

• mendocino_rose
    14 years ago

Bolero is a good choice and fragrant. I am amazed that Bishop's Castle does so well for so many people. In my garden, where Austins do very well, it has been an under-performer with small infrequent blooms.

• sandinmyshoesoregon
    14 years ago

Get a Margaret Merrill. Looks English, but 10 times better.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ya'll!! I have Windermere and loooooove it and its a really good bloomer but I was wanting something a little whiter. I too have Crocus Rose and Bolero and they are new to me this year as is Windermere but they didn't take off as good as Windermere. But the blooms I have gotten from them have been gorgeous. Thanks for your suggestions. Take care, Judy

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ooooooo thats pretty Peggy. I will have to consider it too. Thanks, Judy

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

'Bolero' is very good, constant bloom and good fragrance. Growth habit is on the short side.

{{gwi:318516}}

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks hoovb!! I have one but it has been soooo slow to get growing. It has only put out about 5 blooms all summer but once I realized I was pruning with diseased clippers I sanitized them and cut back all the dead canes and it bounced back pretty quickly. Thanks, Judy