Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pillaring a rose

Posted by rosefan987 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 15:29

Hi, sorry in advance for my complete novicehood!! (I feel that should be a thing)

We're putting in a big flower bed in out front garden in what is basically a wilderness and since I am now a rose addict I want to plant a few and I am very keen on the idea of growing them up a pillar-I just love the idea of a wall of colour. My current plan (they change often!) is to attempt two pillars at the back of the space against what will some day be a gorgeous bushy hedge (we planted 200m of hedging plants in February and they have big dreams!)

Where your combined expertise comes in is -
1) does pillaring work and is it something a newbie should attempt?

2) (the fun bit) what roses would work best on a pillar. I quite fancy red for one but am open to suggestions of any colour for either. I would like something very hardy and repeat blooming.

I'm in Northern Ireland so summer at its hottest is around 25-27degrees and in the winter around -3 is cold. Last winter we didn't go below freezing. It would be in full sun but it does get very windy and wet, it's always wet!! So I suppose until the hedge does it's thing in the next 20yrs or so it's maybe quite exposed...am I being silly thinking it would work?

Anyway, hope that makes sense and I am kinda excited to hear suggestions and ideas, I know I have only touched the tip of the rose iceberg!!

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pillaring a rose

It's not that difficult, but you DO want to select a rose which has fairly lax canes. If they are stiff, they won't bend around your structure.

Also, personal experience tells me that it is wise to select a rose that is not covered with appalling prickles. I once did this with 'Othello.' I did it by myself, and it was an appalling task. I chose never to do it again.

It also helps to have two people working on the job . . . one to hold, and one to tie.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 19:45

Several of the Austins might work for pillaring since they do like to get tall and leggy here anyway. You'd have to see which ones are more flexible. I have Golden Celebration and Graham Thomas and of those two Golden Celebration might work but Graham wouldn't. He's very stiff caned. The best advice you can get on how to do it is Paul Zimmerman's video.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Zimmerman's pillaring instructions

o

I am going to second the Paul Zimmerman videos on YouTube. He shows you how to pillar a rose and how to care for climbing roses. I planted climber this year and have 3 going up the poles of my arbor. The videos are very informative and once you get the idea it's not so scary lol. I planted climbing pinkies to pillar and they have very lax canes that are easy to handle. I am also growing golden celebration as a climber and if you catch the canes early it would be easy to wrap around a pillar. Also look into Peggy Martin, she has very lax canes and is super easy to grow. Good luck and have fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here