Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefan98765

Pillaring a rose

rosefan98765
9 years ago

Hi, sorry in advance for my complete novicehood!! (I feel that should be a thing)

We're putting in a big flower bed in out front garden in what is basically a wilderness and since I am now a rose addict I want to plant a few and I am very keen on the idea of growing them up a pillar-I just love the idea of a wall of colour. My current plan (they change often!) is to attempt two pillars at the back of the space against what will some day be a gorgeous bushy hedge (we planted 200m of hedging plants in February and they have big dreams!)

Where your combined expertise comes in is -
1) does pillaring work and is it something a newbie should attempt?

2) (the fun bit) what roses would work best on a pillar. I quite fancy red for one but am open to suggestions of any colour for either. I would like something very hardy and repeat blooming.

I'm in Northern Ireland so summer at its hottest is around 25-27degrees and in the winter around -3 is cold. Last winter we didn't go below freezing. It would be in full sun but it does get very windy and wet, it's always wet!! So I suppose until the hedge does it's thing in the next 20yrs or so it's maybe quite exposed...am I being silly thinking it would work?

Anyway, hope that makes sense and I am kinda excited to hear suggestions and ideas, I know I have only touched the tip of the rose iceberg!!

Thanks!!

Comments (3)