Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thahalibut

Over the moon in warm climate?

thahalibut
10 years ago

Anyone grow this in a warm climate? HMF says it doesn't do well in warm climates.

Comments (8)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

There are lots of roses that do not do well in warm climates (like most of the old European once bloomers). The issue seems to be that they, like tulips, need more nights of freezing weather (chill factor) than we get. This is normal for those roses, and just has to do with their DNA. What happens (I have tried it) is that they don't grow much, and hardly bloom at all, and are VERY unhappy.

I don't know about this rose, but if HMF says that, I would believe them and choose another rose. There are plenty of roses that LOVE warm climates, so why not grow one of those?

Jackie

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I grow OTM in Z7 Alabama. She has no problem with our heat. Blooms prolifically all summer for me here. First pic below was taken this past weekend...temps were only in the low 90's, but humidity was at 91% (miserably humid). Last summer was the worst I can remember as far as extended time with triple digits during the days and night temps not dropping below the 90's here. OTM bloomed all through that, too. Blooms fade quicker in the extreme heat, but not any worse than most other roses. Blooms are absolutely huge and gorgeous...they don't even look real. To me, they are very fragrant...not a strong fragrance, but a nice, clean scent. Makes a great cut flower...lasts around a week in the vase. Bush is very full and as wide as it is tall. Foliage goes all the way to the ground...no bare knees. Only fault I can say about her is that she will blackspot in our humidity unless sprayed, but not any worse than most HTs here.

{{gwi:318716}}

{{gwi:318717}}

{{gwi:304621}}

{{gwi:318718}}

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Pat - Does your area have any nights below freezing in the Winter? Sometimes roses that do not like "warm climates" do not care about the Sumer heat, but do not like the lack of cold Winters.

Jackie

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    10 years ago

Pat, I saw your pictures in the most beautiful roses thread and was thoroughly enabled. It's on my wish list.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

We normally have mild winters here, but it does get below freezing some...just usually not for days on end. OTM is a very good rose for me in my climate, but I really can't say how it would perform elsewhere. Hopefully, someone in a more similar climate has experience growing OTM and can comment.

• thahalibut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jackie, I want this rose really bad & its gone on my want list several times but then after going to hmf, I take it off. I will not buy it unless I find that someone is growing this rose successfully in a warm climate like mine.

Pat, I also saw your pictures in the most beautiful roses thread. It looks AMAZING & is now back on my want list, for now.

• kstrong
    10 years ago

You're fine. Get the rose. It's a good one here in Coastal SoCal. Much better than Just Joey.

• thahalibut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kstrong, thats what I needed to hear :-)
    Thank you

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living