Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave5150

HELP please

dave5150
10 years ago

I am having A LOT of these yellowing leaves with black dots on them my rose bush is 2years old it was REALLY bushy and I pruned away these branches that looked like this, but it is still coming back. Is this a disease or a bug or what any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Comments (7)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Hi Dave, your black spots would possibly be a fungal infection, which is common with many roses in many climates. Bugs won't result in black "dots". So, it's a disease, not an insect. Please, don't cut off canes which have diseased leaves. Many roses store nutrient reserves in their wood. By removing healthy wood, you're reducing the food reserves of the plant. If the wood is unhealthy, damaged or dead, by all means, prune the plant, but for diseased leaves, if you must, pull off the leaves but leave the wood.

There are a number of fungi which can cause black spotting of foliage, including a family of them commonly referred to as 'black spot'. If the plant is genetically susceptible to them, they will grow on the foliage. If the plant is immature or stressed, it can be more susceptible to them. If you know the name of the rose, it is possible others where you live might be able to tell you whether it is normally susceptible to diseases in your climate and conditions. It would be quite beneficial for you to include your city and state in your profile page here on Garden Web. There are TREMENDOUS differences between a wet zone 5 and a dry zone 5. Suggestions for culture and plant selections can vary quite a bit because of them. Knowing where you are helps folks determine whether they can offer suitable suggestions for you or not.

But, I would leave all the wood possible on the plant until you must remove it for other reasons, including any winter protection you find beneficial because of the nutrient storage as well as the growth buds it contains which will produce new foliage that feeds the plant. You may well find as it gets larger, it becomes healthier, outgrowing many of the disease and performance issues you'd previously encountered. Good luck, I hope my suggestions help. Kim

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

If you want to spray for this disease, Rosemania is a good place to get information. Many people just live with it and try to keep the plants as healthy as possible. Some roses are more likely to get blackspot than others. Some years it is worse than others.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Yep looks like a fungal infection...

Far as I'm concerned only 3 things you can do...

1. Ignore the yellowing & leaf drop... In other words
    try to live with it...

2. Plant roses that are more disease resistant for your area.

3. Spray with a fungicide such as Bayer Advanced Disease Control For Roses, Flowers & Shrubs ... (Fungicide only product)...

Best of luck....

This post was edited by jim1961 on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 17:25

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Yes, that's black spot all right. There are several fungal diseases that fall into that category. A good fungicide spray will help prevent the spread and new infections but any leaves already infected will continue to spot, yellow and fall off. Whether they are showing symptoms now or not. Or you can just wait for the weather conditions to change and it will go away on it's own.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Garden hygiene and good air circulation helps, too. When I see them take over the leaf, I pick them off and destroy because I HATE it. Make sure u pick up the fallen leaves. Many good posts on the dreaded ubiquitous black spot.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

One thing you should understand is that rose blackspot is chronic in all eastern and midwestern gardens. You can't get rid of it by pruning. You have to deal with it in one of the three ways Jim suggests. I use the Bayer Disease Control spray concentrate.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

IF this is blackspot (and I still think better images would ensure a correct diagnosis) you have decisions to make.

1. To spray (may/may not correct the problem)
    2. To live with the problem
    3. To re-plant with roses resistant to that fungus.

If you decide to spray, take time to check out the chemicals you will be using, and be sure you want to add them to your environment.

For every one of the available garden chemicals, there are active ingredients, and these offer greater/lesser degrees of danger. The chemical in Bayer Disease Control is tebuconazole. Information on it follows:

"Tebuconazole is a triazole fungicide used agriculturally to treat plant pathogenic fungi.
    Though the U.S. Food and Drug Administration considers this fungicide to be safe for humans, it may still pose a risk. It is listed as a possible carcinogen in the United States Environmental Protection Agency Office of Pesticide Programs carcinogen list with a rating of C (possible carcinogen). Its acute toxicity is moderate.[2] According to the World Health Organization toxicity classification, it is listed as III, which means slightly hazardous."

"Due to the potential for endocrine-disrupting effects, tebuconazole was assessed by the Swedish Chemicals Agency [3] as being potentially removed from the market by EU regulation 1107/2009.[4]"

It is not allowed for sale in New York State.
    ==============

If you are going to spray with any garden chemical, DO use a mask and protective clothing. If you can smell the chemical, you are breathing it. If you spill it on your skin, wash it off immediately, and thoroughly.

Jeri