Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Night Owl and Stormy Weather

Posted by frances_in_nj z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 15:54

I love these two roses, and grow multiple specimens of each. However, neither of them really acts like a climber for me. My tallest Stormy Weather is maybe 5 ft; the others are shorter. Basically, these two really seem to be shrubs, not climbers, at least in my zone 6 garden. Does anybody else successfully grow them as climbers? And if so, can you shed any light on the behavior of mine? Maybe its climate?

Thanks in advance, any thoughts most appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Night Owl and Stormy Weather

How long have you had your Stormy Weather? Mine is 3 years old and is finally reblooming and throwing canes longer than 44" I saw some really nice looking ones on a pillared wall and hope mine start taking off like that next season

o

My oldest Stormy weather is, I think, 2 years old. I guess maybe I just have to wait longer; but then again, I gather you are in CA, so quite a different climate. About how tall were the pillared ones you saw? Mine rebloom quite well, they are just short. As for Night Owl, I have had my oldest for, I think, 4 years, and it is short; maybe 3 ft tall.

o

• Posted by leezen4u Z10 Sunset Z24 coas (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 9:58

Try giving them 2 cups of alfalfa pellets from the feed store. When I do this most roses will throw much bigger canes within 3-4 weeks. The canes will also mature to a much thicker size allowing me to prune them to a longer length. It's possible that winter die back for you might be less severe with bigger canes. Just a guess.

o

Mine seems to hate the heat and I think that is what slowed it down so much

o

Thanks for starting this thread, Frances. I want to get both of these roses this fall,but knowing about habit is always essential,and this is info that's hard to find. I hope some others who grow these roses will weigh in...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here