Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grande Amore

Posted by ken-n.ga.mts 7a/7b (wilkis6751@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 16:01

Anyone out there grow the Kords red HT, Grande Amore?? I've heard the blooms aren't all that big. Especially compared to Veterans Honor, Olympiad and a few other large reds. I have an open spot between Veterans Honor and Let Freedom Ring and I really don't want to put a red in there that will have blooms only half the size of these two.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grande Amore

I really like Grande Amore, but typically the blooms are smaller than the reds that you named. Grande Amore can get quite tall. Mine had crown gall and was Sp'd late winter. I added 2 more bareroots this spring because I like it.

o

Long stems, and very small blooms for me, mine got the shovel...

o

Grande Amore looks like a lovely rose. I've never had it, but had another red Kordes rose, Kardinal. The blooms on it were always on the smallish side too, but they were so perfect it never mattered. It was a healthy bush and a good bloomer.

o

Yes, the blooms are a little smaller, now that you point that out. My blooms are about the same size as I get with LFR. But, I get a lot more blooms out of Grande Amore and the form is significantly better--I get mostly cupped blooms out of LFR rather than the ideal high centered form. LFR is on the short list of roses I plan to get rid of...

In theory, one might be able to get larger blooms out of GA by disbudding some of those canes.

o

Grand Amore is a bright red color and has good form. It does get quite tall. Mine sometimes gets 12-15 ft tall. It might as well be a climber. It does want to grow straight up. It is quite sturdy as far as surviving around here. Flower size is usually smaller than some of the others, but it varies with temperature. It will get larger in cool weather, but it is rarely as big as a Veteran's Honor. I think it is a good variety, but watch out for the plant size.

o

The blooms are smaller than some of the other red HT varieties, but the trade off is on vigour, bloom profusion, repeat and disease resistance. GA does all of those things exceptionally well, whereas few of the other reds do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here