Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Dr. Huey or Multiflora?

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

I grow roses grafted on Dr. Huey and Multiflora both. Of course there is a much larger selection on Dr. Huey, but if the same rose is available on both, is multiflora the preferred rootstock? Has anyone done a comparison with the same varieties? And is multiflora more winter hardy?

Comments (5)

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

I have 2 Let Freedom Ring. One on Dr. Huey and one on multiflora. Now that they are pretty well established (3 yrs), there is no difference in the bush growth or flower production. Both are big healthy bush's that pump out tons of beautiful blooms on long cutting stems. As far as cold hardy, neither rose was bothered by our 0 degree temps last winter. I have heard that multiflora is very winter hardy. Wisconson Roses and Silver Run Roses use multiflora rootstock as does Palatine Roses. With you being in zone 6b, I would go with multiflora rootstock if you can get the roses that you are hunting for.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

They are about equal in hardiness, IMHO. What they differ in is their pH preference.

So basically:
    Below 6.5 - multiflora
    Above 6.0 - Dr. Huey
    Where they overlap, it doesn't matter.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

The major differences between the two stocks are how suitable they are for your soil/water types and their ease of budding. Huey is excellent for alkaline soils and waters where multiflora suffers chlorosis, often extremely so. Multiflora loves neutral to acidic soils/waters where Huey doesn't quite do as well. It has to do with how their roots function with pH. Strawberryhill found a link which explained that Huey actually acidifies the soil surrounding its roots so it can deal with alkalinity better than multiflora. You may be able to find that thread through a search. If your conditions aren't excessively alkaline, you may not experience much difference between the two. My conditions are highly alkaline and multiflora and its hybrids are terrible here because of their severe chlorosis issues.

The second issue is ease of budding. Huey's bark lifts more easily, earlier and remains suitable for budding longer than multiflora. Huey also experiences much less bud failure due to water stress than multiflora. If you're not budding, it's a non issue. If Rosette Disease is an issue around you, make sure not to allow any multiflora suckers to grow and definitely don't let them flower and set hips. Birds adore those tiny, red hips, dropping those fertile, tiny seeds everywhere, encapsulated in guano which makes the sprout even more vigorously. Multiflora is the preferred host of the mite which spreads the disease. Kim

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input. The issue with RRD and the multiflora rootstock is something to consider. I've never had a problem, but I wouldn't want to either.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

You're welcome, Sara-Ann. As long as the multiflora is the root underground, there are no stands of multiflora around and you don't have the mites and disease in the area, it's a non issue. But, if you do have it and multiflora is in the area, you need to watch for it. Kim

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!