Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minflick

Porcelain Rose has a bud!

minflick
10 years ago

It's a teeny bud, I don't think it's even 1/2" across, but it's THERE! I'm so jazzed. It's sitting fat and sassy in a 1 gal. pot, getting sun about 1/3 of the day, and filtered shade the rest of the time. I'm not pruning this bud off, I can't STAND to do that right now. If I get any more buds, though, I will. I'll post a picture when the bud opens.

Melinda

Comments (45)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Cool, Melinda! Congratulations! I'll be interested to see what the color is in your climate. These things can be SO different from one place to the next. Kim

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Need pic!

• minflick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gah! Went out to take a picture and my browser crashed... Stupid thing...

Here y'go! The front corner of the deck, with Porcelain Rose up on feet, in front of the blue chair...

Melinda

• minflick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Moderately closer view of it, showing the frilly bits!

Melinda

• roseseek
    10 years ago

What are you feeding her, Melinda?! That's taller than either the orginal seedling or the own root plant I have to breed with! LOL! Kim

• minflick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seriously? Linda SAID she had to chop it a bit to fit it in the box... Hmmm. Grabbed some nice dark dirt out of the planter that HAS good dirt (was out of potting soil that day), may have stuck a small scoop of manure in it at the same time. Chicken? Steer? Don't really remember! It's gotten watered with hose water and with some dark brown liquid glop called Alice's Garden that I bought a bottle of at the SF Garden Show years ago (and have never yet found in commerce, I don't know if they went belly up, or what happened to them). Bottle says it's 10-6-11 - and I used to measure a scant teaspoon or less into a gallon of water, but now I have a big watering can, and I 'measure' a limited pour into the can before I fill it. It's in a one gallon pot and I'd guess that stem is close to 18" long.

This is SO much fun...

Melinda

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Cool! Yes ma'am, it is! Well, yours and Linda's sun are MUCH different from mine. I'm at a lower latitude (closer to the Equator), than either of you, so the sun is more directly over head. Here, most roses do better with afternoon shade. I'm far enough inland to reduce the water vapor in the air so the sun is intense and very hot. Leaves are generally smaller and often appear more burnished due to the intensity of light and heat. Plants are often shorter, more "squat" because of the intensity of the heat and light, so it's quite interesting and educational to see those with which I am intimately familiar in other conditions and climates. Kim

• minflick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kim,

I took a yardstick out and measured it. From dirt at base of plant to the tip of the bud, it's 24"........ Tip of the greenery of the sepals, not the swelling of the bud. It's blurry because it's breezy outside and the stem won't hold still.

Melinda

• michael1846
    10 years ago

omg i wouldn't be able to stand it i would cut off the bud and open it to see
    the color (did that once)

• minflick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Erhemmmm, NO! So many of the roses start out one color as a bud, and segue through other colors on their way from bud to prime to dead... I really fell in love with this rose from Kim's pictures showing the green, white and pale pink - I wanna SEE what it looks like. Cutting it open would be like carefully unwrapping the presents under the Christmas tree and snooping, and then wrapping them all back up again and playing ignorant on Christmas morning. That would take a lot of the fun out of it for me, but in addition, I then wouldn't be able to watch it open up naturally and be beautiful.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I'll save you the trouble! It should eventually look like this. Kim

• minflick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, yeah, yeah!! THAT'S the picture I saw and swooned over.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

That, and not permitting it to mature naturally would deprive you of the real coloring. Right now, it's probably creamy-green-ivory with little to no pink in it. You'd be surprised how greatly pigments develop in many buds. I know, I've torn apart bazillians of them collecting pollen. The photo above were buds preparing to 'give their lives' to make new baby roses. Kim

• minflick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here it is on the 15th...

• minflick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And this morning, on the 19th. No green seen on this one.

So pretty, Kim. So nifty!

Melinda

• roseseek
    10 years ago

How neat, Melinda! Thanks! It's a lot deeper, richer pink in your climate. I may have to alter the description on HMF! LOL! You can see the difference between what is on your deck and how they look in my photos on HMF. I'm glad you have it and it's pleasing you. Congratulations! Kim

• minflick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kim, I'm actually hoping it gets pale as it matures. I like the paler pink in your pictures... So, we shall see what happens down the road. I know my weather here is nothing like where you are but it has been warm - we've had 90's for most of the past week... (I went to high school in WLA, and we have family down there in various locales in L.A. and the Valley - that's one reason I live HERE!)

Regardless, it's fun to watch unfold!

Melinda

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It should fade as it ages, so it may become the shades you want. With our heat the past few years, I don't blame you for moving! Kim

• QuestioningSerenity
    10 years ago

You both have such beauttiful roses! Congrats on your first bud's bloom! And Kim, just looking at that picture, I might have to look into how to get my very own next spring! It's a gorgeous color!

Sereniti

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thank you. I liked it because, as a seedling, it was thornless, but it does throw some as a mature plant. I also loved how blamed healthy it's been. I like what's behind it genetically. That combination makes nice babies! I'm also working on greater distribution of my roses. More on that as it pans out. Kim

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

That is a beautiful rose. I looked at the Longagoroses website but they did not have it listed on the sales list. Anyone knows where i can buy this rose?

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thank you! Long Ago Roses has the exclusive on its introduction. Email them for availability. I know they've had the outrageous rains many have endured recently, so I'm not sure of the status. Now, if they were coming from here, they would be fried due to no rain and lots of heat. Between horrid weather and other suppliers shipping bare roots any time they wish, it's been a year, hasn't it? Thanks. Kim

• minflick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For what it's worth, I emailed Long Ago Roses some time last summer, after Kim posted the pictures here. She said she had it, but nothing was large enough to risk shipping, and would I mind waiting while it grew some more? It took nearly a year to grow my baby to where she was comfortable shipping it. She has also stopped shipping to the West Coast, due to (I think...) USDA or state Ag regulations that require that she dip each little plant/root ball into some nasty chemicals. She honored my email requesting my plant as a prior order from pre reg change, even thought she had no money from me at that time of my first email. So, if you live in a state she ships to, she will eventually send you a plant - it's just not speedy. I think it's well worth the wait for this pretty thing, and I can't wait to watch it grow into a full bush, of whatever size it decides to be.

Melinda

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Thank you Kim and Melinda. Let me email Longagoroses to check whether they may have any for next year and put me on their waiting list.

• erasmus_gw
    10 years ago

Porcelain Rose really likes to bloom. No sooner is one flush done than another begins. It is mostly bs free here but the incredible rains here have marred a few leaves. My parent plant of it is growing in a big pot but will go in the ground when it cools off some. I'll be propagating more of it as my main plant matures. My favorite picture of it is Kim's pic above on the wire table. It does have another aspect to its character...it can often look cabbagey, somewhat like Hermosa:

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

This is an absolutely gorgeous rose! I'm not usually drawn to pink roses but this one is a must-have! Breathtaking. I particularly like all the different nuances between the white, pink, and green. It's truly lovely. Kim, what a beautiful baby you have made - thank you!

I emailed Long Ago Roses to ask about it's availability in the spring, and whether she can ship to Canada. I sure hope so!

Now, about hardiness.... I'm officiallly zone 5b but my yard is more like 6a or even 6b. I've got direct sun, dappled shade and full shade spots. Think it will work here? I'm sure willing to try!

Karen

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thank you Karen! I'm glad it appeals to you. I won't have any idea whether it should be hardy enough for you until someone tries it there. It does have some very good, healthy, hardy genes behind it, so it might...

Porcelain Rose is setting some brilliant fall colors here now after the frosts we had last week. Nice to see! Thank you. Kim

• minflick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, we've had 2 weeks of some really chilly weather - over a week of low 20's before I remembered poor little Porcelain Rose was only in a 1 gallon pot! I brought her inside at night after that, but we'll see if she lives. She was mostly dormant by then, and had shed most of her leaves. There was never any fall color going on with her leaves. There's a tiny little red 'bud' that looks like it plans to be a new branch in the spring, I'll have to see if it managed to live through our cold snap.

I had made little straw 'houses' for my geranium and pelargonium a few days before the real cold hit (real for coastal California...) so I think they will make it (hope so!) but there is going to be some die-back on the roses, at least at the tips of some stems. This cold snap was at least 5 degrees colder than anything I had last winter, and there was a full week of it, so I know there is going to SOME damage.

• minflick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update Feb 2nd, 2014:

The one gallon pot appears to have come through the December cold weather quite well. I had over a week of low 20's weather (whereas the prior 2 winters I never made it below 27, I think) for about 10 consecutive nights. The pot was brought in at night once I remembered that it wasn't planted, and it wasn't under a sheltering tree either!!! Oh Nooooooo!

And here it is, leafing out again. We have fruit trees flowering around here - some dark pink trees are out in full flower.... It's only February 2nd, I hope we don't get another cold blast.

Melinda, quite please with her luck and the plant!

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Good for you! I'd expect PR to be pretty cold hardy with what's behind it. This one should have better availability this year, too. Kim

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

I received Porcelain Rose from Linda from Long Ago Roses in early May. Here is my Porcelain rose now with 6 blooms! The colors combo is like fine porcelain. It is so pretty. I have the pot in the shade now because it is blooming. Here is a pic of the plant.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Here is a closeup of one of the bloom.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Another closeup of the bloom that is more opened. It is so lovely!

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Here's what it does, here at the SoCal coast.

• minflick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jeri, that's one pretty blossom! Love the variety this thing puts out in our various areas. I'm about to root check mine, she had a beautiful first flush, and nothing since. She's still in the small 1 gallon pot, and I'm really hoping it's time to put her in the ground. Not least because watering a pot is a pain, and I have a soaker hose going where I want her planted.

Melinda

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Like any other rose, keeping the water flowing to her will result in more flowers. I, too, love the wide variation in form depending upon climate. I see everything from semi double, open form to the almost OGR shape here, too, depending upon the weather. One thing which doesn't vary here is the total absence of any fungal issues with foliage. I LIKE that! Kim

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Yes, Kim. She's disease-free here, too -- even in this recent period of thick morning fogs.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Here is Porcelain Rose blooming in the fall. The pink color is deepened. It is so pretty.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I wrote this whole post about what DH said tonight about 'Porcelain Rose,' and it didn't post. OWELL.

Husband's comments were to the effect that he REALLY likes this, and wants another one. And Kim knows that DH rarely wants another one of anything.

Anyhow, the plant we put in the ground last month is growing like a weed, and setting buds like mad. You could eat off the foliage.

I picked two blooms the other day, when the East Wind started to blow, and you can see how well 'Porcelain Rose' blends with my Old Roses.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Thank you, Jeri! I saw Jeri's plant about a week and a half ago. It LIKES her and her garden. Of course, she has "special conditions" which help assure PR will be happy there, but I'd never seen a plant of it performing as vigorously as hers. Not that it is lacking in vigor, but here it's a smaller shrub than it will be for Jeri. It's gorgeous! Kim

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Kim -- I think it's all the dish-rinsing water it's getting (plus some coffee grounds and tea leaves).

Clay Jennings has fallen into love with 'Porcelain Rose' -- and I agree with him.

Jeri

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Jeri, your bouquet is so beautiful! I would love to see a pic of your Porcelain Rose bush even better it is in bloom. Can I ask how tall does it get for you? And do you have it in full sun or partial shade?

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Thank you! Kim

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Kousa -- It has only been in the ground for maybe 3.5 weeks. I might be able to answer that question in 3.5 YEARS.

We have to grow everything in large squat pots, in the ground (with extra holes) to prevent plants from becoming Gopher Chow. That slows them down, until they can get their roots out into the ground.

Jeri