Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My year of mislabeled roses...please help forgetful rose lover.

Posted by mirendajean Ireland (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 16:11

I've had 5 mystery roses this year. Homebase is to blame for 3 of them. The last two I've done to myself.

A cane I'd tossed in the back of the perennial bed rooted. I assumed it was a Double Delight pruning. I've another deliberately rooted cutting that took off beautifully (I plonk cuttings in vermicompost & compost and neglect them thoroughly.) After my typically "swim or sink" form of propagation these two have finally bloomed. I don't recognize these roses at all. They arent cuttings from one if my roses. I have no memory of sneakily stealing cuttings from my neighbors.

Please, please. Someone please know who this rose is.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Thanks guys.

M

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My year of mislabeled roses...please help forgetful rose love

New Zealand?

o

A baby New Dawn, maybe?

o

The bloom form looks like my New Dawn if that helps any.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 11:55

My first thought was New Dawn too. I have New Zealand and mine is a deeper, yellower, pink than that and it has more petals and they are much more substantial than those shown here.

o

New Dawn is def a contender. I've googled it and it looks like a winner. The blooms look right. They're only small plants now. I may have to gift them next year once Ive loved them up a bit. I've no room for a climber.

I seriously have no memory of taking a cutting from anyone else last year. I'd never deliberately take a cutting of a climber. Maybe my children are plotting to drive me batty :-)

M

o

A better guess and this could be it... 'First Kiss'

o

I finally figured out where I got the cutting. I've just dropped my son off at an activity and saw the sad, black spot covered, hips already developing rose bush I stole the cutting from. If the last bloom wasn't hanging on for dear life I would never have recognised it.

At least I know the shape and size of the bush. Thats progress. :-)

M

o

Maybe La France, looks a lot like mine. La France is very fragrant, is yours ?

o

Looks lots like my brides dream, but she is 4-5 ft.

o

Thanks for reviving this thread. The blooms have a soft fragrance, I'd give the strength of the fragrance is a 3 out if 5. The bush I took the cutting from was approx 4'x4'. It had arching canes and appeared robust despite the BS and neglect. (I remember pruning it this past spring out of pity)

M

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here