Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alwayzbgrateful

rare roses at "rose sales online"? Reliable source?

Alwayzbgrateful
10 years ago

Hello all, i was surfin the net when i came across a site that listed several roses Ive not seen listed on anyother site. Some that stood out to me are:
Guy Savoy
Henri Matisse
Grimaldi
Paul Cezanne
Maurice Utrillo
Camille Pissarro
Claude Monet
They say they are located in Australia but will ship th the USA. Has anyone heard of this company? Anyone order from them? Pros/Cons? Do these particular varieties grow well in our climate? Any info on this comany or these roses would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Lyna

Comments (19)

• joshtx
    10 years ago

I have not heard of them, perhaps one of our members from Australia can speak to their credibility.

I do know, however, that the United States has a ban on receiving roses from Australia which is still in effect.

Josh

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Given the ban, I would avoid this.

Jeri

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do yall know of any other sources for the roses listed above?

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    10 years ago

I'd check Roses Unlimited and Rogue Valley.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

Well, Roses Unlimited sells Henri Matisse and they used to sell Guy Savoy, since that's where I got mine. The roses you list are Delbard "Painter" series roses, and they're all lovely. I've been looking for Paul Cezanne for some time, and LongAgo Roses has recently acquired the rights to many Delbard roses. Linda says they will have them in production before too long. It may be worth asking her about what's upcoming in an email. I've checked her website and it doesn't list any of these yet, but I'm hoping!

Cynthia

• nummykitchen
    10 years ago

I've purchased Grimaldi and Henri Matisse from Roses Unlimited. The rest I have no clue and have looked at every online rose retailer I could find with no luck. I have been dreaming of Camille Pissarro and Claude Monet and would love to have then. I have seen Henri Matisse on Rogue Valley's website.

Cynthia, that is awesome information about LongAgo roses!

Andrea

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Lyna, forget you've even seen anywhere outside of the US which will ship here. That requires an import permit from the USDA which isn't all that hard to get, but the inspection fees are outrageously expensive. I obtained one last year, planning on bringing in less than ten roses. For the potential two year quarantine, I was looking at about $300 in on site inspection fees. For USDA fees at the point of entry, it was about four times that amount. For ten roses. Plus, we can't import from Australia, New Zealand and a handful of other countries because our USDA believes them to have pests and/or diseases they fear unleashing within our borders, so even with the permit, any order coming through from Australia would be seized and destroyed. You'd still be on the hook for the cost of the plants and shipping, though.

Add the requirement that NO material greater than 10 mm may be brought in, INCLUDING the diameter of the bud union, and you're looking at only small cutting sized plants.

Sound like fun? Kim

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Well, having been a striped rose collector for some time now, I grow them all except Paul Cezanne and Maurice Ultrillo. They are all good roses -- but, you are going to have a humdinger of a time finding them here. I got most of them from Hortico, years ago and I don't think they still sell them.

That said, we do a rose auction every year, and it;'s coming up Nov. 16 and 17, which isn't that far out. I don't think we have the ones on your list, but there are a few nice stripers in the group. Take a look at Stranger and at Red Intuition -- those are both nice roses.

I'll be doing an announcement post here once we get our inventory set (and it's still in a state of flux now). But the list of things we already know we have is here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Silent auction list, so far

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I have all of them except MAURICE UTRILLO. You can get GUY SAVOY at Rogue Valley Roses, and HENRI MATISSE from Palatine Roses. The rest I'm afraid are not available anywhere currently on our continent. There are a lot of other striped roses out there besides these tho.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Just noticed Palatine has ALFRED SISLEY. Since you can't get GRIMALDI, ALFRED is a good substitute. He actually is a better bloomer than GRIMALDI, with similar coloring and ruffled petals.

• User
    10 years ago

I would be very leery of buying any Delbard roses if I was in zone 5. Even in an English 8, they are iffy roses, suffering horribly in a cold winter and taking forever to recover lost ground. Confession time - I am most definitely not a fan of them and grow only 1 (Nahema....and that is on the compost list) but my long-suffering neighbour persists in her love affair with unsuitable tea-noisettes and miffy HTs (latest failure - Dioressence). Maybe in a warm and sheltered spot?
    They are probably great roses for the south but I learned some time ago that it is essential to consider the 'place of origin' so roses bred in Lyon and other warm French locations are not going to be happy with the chill and arid fenland winds of East Anglia (a bit like Kansas, I imagine...without the summer heat). I never order from nurseries where the climate is kinder than mine either and am always curious about Californian orders from Canadian rose nurseries - how does that work out? It would surely be impossible to do this in reverse (Texas to Ontario for example)?

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Canadian nurseries work fine for us, here in Californ - I - A.

No worries. I do it often.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Same here. Actually, many of the Canadian grown roses do better than some of the US grown ones. I think my hot climate likes Multiflora rootstock better than Dr Huey. I get less suckering with Multiflora also. Can't tell you how many roses I've had over the yrs with Dr Huey rootstock that either suckered constantly (and still do) or took over and totally killed off the grafted rose.

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanx Everyone!!! I know I could depend all of your knowledge and experiance
    -Lyna

• User
    10 years ago

Ah yes, but would it work the other way round - cold climate rose gardeners buying from a nursery/breeder with a significantly hotter climate. It is a given that winter chill requirements are an innate part of a plants DNA(nature) but I wonder how able a plant can adapt to a colder climate after a balmy infancy (nurture).
    Just wondering.....

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Presuming the plant from the balmy area isn't ordered in and received at the wrong time of year, it should have appropriate time and opportunity to adjust to its new conditions sufficiently to permit it to endure the harder winter in the new climate. Order the wrong one, shipped at the wrong time and there are likely going to be issues. But, given everything is done "correctly", it should work just fine. Kim

• Terry Crawford
    10 years ago

'Camille Pissaro' and 'Henri Matisse' grow well for me here in Zone 5 without winter protection, but they are on the south end of the house. 'Henri' gets to be a bit of a beast in fact...

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

I agree with TerryJean - I've found the Delbard painter series to be pretty winter hardy in my zone 5 yard, including Henri Matisse, Albert Sisely, Grimaldi, and of course Edgar Degas (not available AFAIK after Ashdown closed). They're actually robust and regular rebloomers for me once established, though I did lose Guy Savoy when I planted it late one year. I'm fairly sure it would do fine in a different spot and/or time when I try again. In general, Delbard and Tantau are good breeders for me in winter hardiness, not quite as good as Kordes but close.

Cynthia

• mgleason56
    10 years ago

Did someone say Polo Club???? Kathy - once both auction lists are finalized can we talk?