Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulinemaryvic

Nahema on Vancouver Island?

PaulineMary
10 years ago

Does anyone know if the Nahema climbing rose will thrive on Vancouver Island? How about the Eden climber?

Here we have mild, wet-wet-wet winters, followed by wet and chilly springs, segueing into mild dry summers. Except that this past summer broke records for heat (88 F in May), and lack of rainfall. If we get more hot summers, I'm wondering if these roses have papery petals which might wither, or heavier petals which can take the heat. I hope my garden adapts as quickly as the climate seems to be changing; the biggest challenge is not knowing what's coming next.

Any other recommendations for fragrant, disease-resistant and attractive roses would be much appreciated.

Pauline, Langford, Vancouver Island

Comments (8)

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Hi Pauline- I don't have experience with Nahema but I do know that temperatures we consider hot here in BC are nowhere near what rose growers in California deal with for longer periods of time. Are you watering? If so I wouldn't worry about the heat in Langford. If you're not able to water, due to restrictions, then you may need to rethink roses in general. But it seems to me the watering restrictions over there have been much lighter since they expanded the reservoir.

• roserobin_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Pauline
    I grow Eden and it does fine here (Victoria), Other climbers that I have grown which do well here include Viking Queen, Antique, Westerland, Penny Lane, many ramblers, New Dawn, many Austins, Etoile de Holland. Lynnette could reccomend many more, She recently posted some gorgeous rambler photos on the Antique roses forum.
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rosesant/msg0809325419492.html
    I would love to grow Nahema- have you found a local source for it? or Canadian mail order?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lynnette's old rosarian garden on helpmefind

• roserobin_gw
    10 years ago

also Autumn Sunset, Royal Sunset, Parade, Cl. Shot Silk, Awakening, Compassion, Laguna, Aloha, White Cap.

• PaulineMary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Donald,

Thank you for your post, good point about HOT being relative :) I guess I can stop worrying about papery petals. And yes, we can water, so that's not an issue. We are planning to visit West Tech Irrigation Supply in Victoria, and get the parts for a drip irrigation system for next year, which should really help.

Thanks again,

Pauline

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Pauline- the drip irrigation sounds interesting. I find the choices out there a bit bewildering- I'll be curious to know which system you choose. Fortunately there are lots of people on Gardenweb and elsewhere online who can school you on the benefits of shrubblers vs drips etc.

• PaulineMary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi roserobin,

I've have responded sooner, but got lost in Lynnette's lovely rose images, via the link you kindly provided. Wow! Do you happen to know if Lynnette ever opens her garden to visitors? Guess I'll have to email her (if that'a possible) and ask her. As someone who just started growing roses, the experience would be invaluable.

I'm planning to order Nahema from Palatine Roses, info below.

Thank you very much for your recommendations, which I will now go and research.

I've started a Jacob's Robe rose beside an arch, and am hoping to wind it around, as I understand they only bloom when the canes are bent at an angle. Hope the rose is agreeable to this treatment.

Many thanks,

Pauline

http://palatineroses.com/rose/nah%C3%A9ma

Contact Us
    Based in the heart of the Niagara Region, Palatine Fruit & Roses is perfectly situated for growing roses and fruit of exceptional quality. Come visit us, and see our farm for yourself.

Palatine Fruit & Roses
    2108 Four Mile Creek Road, RR# 3
    Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario
    L0S 1J0

You can also reach us by phone, fax or email.

Phone: (905) 468 - 8627
    Fax: (905) 468 - 8628
    For mail order inquiries: sales@palatineroses.com
    Email: contact@palatineroses.com

• PaulineMary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Donald,

"Shrubblers?" Can you use such expressions on a public forum? Of course gardeners are a rugged lot, so are probably hardened to it.

I'll let you know which form of unmentionables we settle on.

Pauline

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

I have Nahema and it is proving to be a bit of a miff in that the amount of dieback this winter was astonishing. It is also a very stiff rose which is not amenable to training. On the other hand, it has a wonderful fragrance and the silvery pink blooms are classically elegant, lasting well in a vase. Put it in your warmest spot (it really doesn't appreciate cold winds). Vancouver Island sounds as if it has a climate very comparable to England.