Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boncrow66

Minature roses

boncrow66
9 years ago

I am already planning on ordering Marriotta this fall from Burling thanks to Seils gorgeous pics of hers but would like some suggestions on a few other minis to order. I plan on keeping Marriotta in a pot but can put the others in the ground or pot and would like suggestions on what does well in both the ground and in pots. I have looked around and I am liking the minis that are multi colored like Bees Knees, but am open to suggestions. Thanks!

This post was edited by boncrow66 on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 17:24

Comments (18)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Green Ice is a somewhat different mini--it sprawls (most engagingly). The flowers are white, but depending on the temperatures, they may early show a slight apricot flush and in the later stages a hint of green.

Good disease resistance also.

Kate

• roseseek
    9 years ago

If she has it, Little Eskimo, a sister seedling to Green Ice, is also a very productive, well-behaved and healthy (at least in my climate) mini. It makes a dense mound, usually sprinkled with its clear, white, double flowers. Another with smaller flowers and quite productive, is Popcorn, the rose from which Gourmet Popcorn mutated. Both are quite nice for landscaping use. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Eskimo

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Kate, I have been considering green ice but will probably get it from Chamblees when I go in the spring.
    Kim I checked Burlings list and she doesn't have Little Eskimo. I clicked on your link and it is a lovely rose and one I would consider for a the border of my beds.

• buford
    9 years ago

I bought some minis from Burlington earlier this year. I love Merlot, it's a red with a silver reverse. And Orange parfait.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Have you done a search for some of Seil's threads, including in the Rose Gallery? She has some really lovely minis she often displays.

Kate

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    9 years ago

Softee? I'm not sure what you're looking for but this one is supposed to do well in many places, including at least some parts of Texas. It's one of the roses in my little white rose bed. It's disease free and a good grower here so far but hasn't been through a winter yet. It's a pretty little thing and blends well with most colors. It's thornless, at least for me. I got mine from Burling but have seen it in other places.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seils pics of all her beautiful pics of her minis are the reason I want to order some from Burling. I am already going to be ordering Marriotta from Burling so wanted a few more suggestions. I saw a pic of Seils Softee but it isn't on Burlings list. I am going to order Bees knees too and am also thinking of a climber. How tall do mini climbers get?

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Hi, Boncrow, thank you for the nice comments. There are a lot of different kinds of minis just like there are the big girls so it depends on what you're looking for. You can find just about any rose form or habit or color. Some of them stay quite small and compact and others can get huge! It just depends on what you want and what space you have.

There are also several different places to get minis. Don't get me wrong, Burlington's is a great place but there are others. For Love of Roses is the newest one and I've gotten some beauties from them. But Heirloom, RU and RV and others all carry some minis as well.

I do recommend Softee. It's been a wonderful rose for me and just blooms a ton. If you like the more OGR or decorative forms there are many to choose from and in any color you can think of. Sweet Chariot, Teddy Bear and Red Minimo are available from Burlington. If you like the bi-colors look at Charlie Brown. There are tons of them. Go over to HMF and do some searches and see what you like!

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

If you are looking for a climber, and like multi-colored roses, I would recommend 'Cl Rainbow's End'. I love mine. It gets about 8 feet tall. Here is a picture of the entire bush, I will post a closer up one next.

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Here is a closer pic of Cl Rainbow's End.

Jackie

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Beautiful, Jackie, like a "mini" Joseph's Coat. Two other nice climbing minis for lots of color are Candy Cane, which is a true bi-color with a pure white reverse and pink and white stippled fronts, and one of the most serendipitously named climbing minis, Climbing Over the Rainbow. How I envy the person who got to name that one! Kim

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Seil, I appreciate your input. I am aware of other places that sell minis and have been looking at heirloom as well but since Burling is the only place I can find Marriotta I figured I would order one or two more.
    Jackie your climbing rainbows end is beautiful. I just found out a tree limb crushed my trellis with new dawn on it so I am going to need a new climber and yours is such a happy looking rose, just what I need!

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kim we must have posted at the same time because I just now saw your post. I will definetely check out some of the climbing minis that you suggested.
    And I forgot to mention Seil that I had Charlie Brown on my radar so I'm glad you mentioned it as a good one. Sorry if I seem a little flustered, I'm a little distracted over a huge tree limb falling on my porch and part of my garden. It's all good thank goodness, nothing that can't be fixed or replaced.

This post was edited by boncrow66 on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 15:46

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

Here are some of my favorites in the multicolor style of Bees Knees: Yellow/pink: Rainbow's End and You're the One are fairly large minis, nice healthy bushes. Fireworks & Glowing Amber are golden with red edges. Fireworks has been an especially prolific bloomer. Denver's Dream is a smokey orange with red & deep pink; it's been a bit of a weak grower for me but worth it for the incomparable color. Magic Carrousel is white with deep pink edges. Little Artist (from which Marriotta was bred) is a pure unfading red with white center, with the same pointy tipped petals. Always in bloom. Like Marriotta, if you don't dead-head you'll get big fat colorful hips.

If stripes appeal to you, I recommend Peppermint Parfait. It has pink & yellow striping with an old fashioned cupped bloom, which I've found to be rare among minis. I absolutely love this rose - it's one of my very best, large or small.

• ColoradoRosarianGuy
    9 years ago

Take a look at Autumn Splendor, Lavender Delight and Winter Magic. Also one named Tiddly Winks is awesome!

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

Jackie, that cl. Rainbow's End is gorgeous!

(and a beautiful yard shot--I'd love to prowl through there!)

• buford
    9 years ago

ooh, I just saw Mariotta and I think I have to have it too!

Palantine carries it, they are out of stock now, but they are reopening their mail order on 9/8, so you may be able to get it then.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I have a list now that I am going to have fun trimming down lol.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm