Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan4952

Tips for fall planting

susan4952
10 years ago

Today I planted Nahema, Angel Face cl., Harlekin, and Champagne Cocktail.
They were nice healthy bands that went from one gal pots into the ground. I have NEVER planted a rose in the fall. Any tips specific to late summer would be greatly appreciated. They are shaded from intense afternoon sun.
TYIA,
Susan

Comments (10)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Are these bands bought in the spring that you put in 1-gal pots for the summer?

• susan4952
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, and they have done beautifully. About a foot tall, several flushes. Wanted to get them out of their pots as they had shown signs of water overload ( turface error) with poor drainage and being root bound . Kept rootball intact and tried to tease off some of the GUNK in the bottom when I roughed up the soil during planting.

• sandandsun
    10 years ago

Tip:
    Live in zone 8, 9, or 10 for fall ordering/planting.
    Live in zone 3, 4, or 5 for spring ordering/planting.

No tip if one lives in zones 6 or 7.
    If I had to choose, I'd always lean toward spring for 6 and 7.

• susan4952
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, me too. However keeping these alive in my garage would be difficult. Never tried it with adolescents.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Spring ordering is best for zones 7 and colder. This is true for 1-gallon plants as well as bands.

• Karolina11
    10 years ago

I am in zone 6b and ordered late summer (last week in Aug) from Heirloom. Bands planted straight into the ground, didn't lose a single one over the winter. I made sure the area was mulched but did not mound over the roses. The only rose that had significant dieback last year was First Prize, a one gallon graft planted in the spring. We didn't have even snow cover throughout the winter either. Winter was not much colder or warmer than usual. I think there is no hard rule, it really just depends on the particular situation. Make sure you water well as they go into hibernation and are not otherwise stressed. Unfortunately zone 6b and zone 5 are different so no promises but I was just lending my experience.

• susan4952
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, karolina. I have never planted in the fall but it just seemed more risky to leave them in a dank relatively airless garage for 4 months. I think I still have time for root expansion in the ground and I always mulch to the drip line.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

I think it was a good decision to plant them out, because garaging them can go wrong too. If you are in the Midwest, you might consider mounding the less hardy varieties when temperatures of 10 F and below impend.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Plant them. I wouldn't consider this "fall" planting. I don't know exactly where you are or when your first frost date is but this is only the beginning of August and my bet is that they will have plenty of time to get settled in before winter sets in. Give them some added protection this fall and I think they'll do fine.

When I've tried fall planting in the past it was on things ordered for the new season in September. I didn't get them until late in the month, and sometimes into October, and planted them right away. Those never did well at all and I lost them. So I quit doing that now and when I order in September it's for a spring shipment date. But I plant and move roses through August all the time with no problem.

• susan4952
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am in Chicagoland. They look happier already.