Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drich30099

temporary potting of roses

drich30099
10 years ago

Hi, I recently acquired 3 roses that I want to place in a new garden area that I'm making next month. One looks like a climber, long cane on it, one rose hip, seems to have been a grafted rose. I've had these three roses in temp. pots for a week or so now, they look terrible, but don't seem to be dying, thank heavens! What can I do to make them survive til I can plant them? Any special watering needs, keep them moist etc? I slowly moved them into the sun, should I keep them in the shade? It's getting quite hot here, near 90 again next week, ugh.
thanks!

Comments (5)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Hello from MI, Deb! Where abouts in the mitten state are you? I'm in the Metro Detroit area. Do you know what the names of the roses are? You said they look terrible. What's wrong with them? Leaves spotted? Yellow? If you could post a picture of them that would be most helpful. I grow over 60 roses in pots and they do very well for me so there is no reason why they shouldn't survive in pots for several weeks. Any information about them you can share would help.

• drich30099
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, fellow michigander! I'm west of Ann Arbor. I too have lots of perennials etc. 60 potted roses, wow! what do You do with them in the winter, i would love to do that too!
    I should clarify, I dug these 3 roses from one of our rental houses that recently was vacated. They will have to wait til next month til I get a new trellis/arbor that is backordered. They are just severely wilted, nothing else. It's going to get hot again next week, maybe I should have them in the shade? What do you think?
    I would love to see pics of your potted roses, may give me some ideas :)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Well heck, you're just down the road! I'm in St. Clair Shores on the lake.

I keep my potted roses outside against the back wall of my house, wrapped in burlap and packed in leaves for the winter. 6 years now and I've rarely lost a rose. It's a big job to do and undo in the spring but I'm sort of addicted, lol.

OK, wilted...for a transplanted rose that's not unusual at all. They're probably in shock. I do have some questions though. How big are the pots? What kind of soil did you use? If the pots are very small they'll survive for a time no problem as long as you keep good watch that they do not dry out. But if they're going to be in pots for a long time then they'll need BIG pots to do well. Soil wise I hope you put them in potting soil and NOT garden dirt. Soil from the ground is too dense and will not drain properly and the roses will be very unhappy. They hate soggy wet feet. I know it seems counter productive to use well draining potting soil when you want to keep them moist but it really is for the best. Oh, and make sure the pots have good drainage holes too.

You don't need to keep them in complete shade when it's very hot. If you can put them in a spot that gets morning sun only and then shade in the hottest part of the afternoon that would work well.

When they bloom be sure to post some pictures and maybe we can help you identify them!

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

This is what my winter protection looks like.

• drich30099
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Excellent idea, the way you overwinter them! I'm on Clear Lake west of Chelsea, how funny, I know your area, used to go to the Metro Beach boat show, loved it.
    I used really good potting soil, and they are each in a pot that is ok for it's size, not too big, hopefully not too small. I will keep them from drying out and will get them where they aare just getting morning sun, thanks!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm