Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Info on Floribunda varieties

Posted by Sara-Ann z6b OK (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 17:40

Here are a few floribundas I am interested in. Would like to know what any of you think of these, if you are familiar with any of them.

French Lace
Amber Queen
Tickled Pink
Pink French Lace
Colorific
White Licorice
Passionate Kisses

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Info on Floribunda varieties

Ooooh la la! Looked up Tickled Pink and love it. Where are you thinkng of ordering it from? Judy

o

Judy - It is a pretty rose, isn't it? It looks like a perfect pink. The only place I can find it so far is Palatine, that is if they have it for 2015. If I decide to order it and they still list it, that would be where I would order it from.

o

Hey Sara Ann,
I grow White Licorice, Passionate Kisses and Colorific. All three are pretty much continuous bloomers here, decent disease resistance and very heat tolerant.
White Licorice is a favorite. VERY strong licorice scent that you can smell from some distance and long lasting blooms on the bush and as a cut rose. Not sure why it’s named “white”…it is a pastel yellow, not white in my garden. Most of my roses are around back, but I have WL between two Julia Child’s by my front door…that’s how much I love it. Thorny bush that wants to be tall. I keep mine pruned to about 5 ft due to its location.
Passionate Kisses is a beautiful bush. Tops out at about 4 ft here and completely rounded. Dark foliage that shows off its bright salmon pink flowers. Hundreds of blooms at a time on the bush that are very long lasting. Light, but nice, fresh scent.
Colorific is another bloom machine. My least favorite of the three, but still a good rose here. I would like it more if it were fragrant…really not much scent at all to my nose. It’s a very loud rose….coloring not for the faint of heart. The color variations are beautiful , but do “tan” to glowing orange pretty quickly. It’s a big bush here…6 to 7 ft tall and 4 to 5 ft wide by end of season.

And, of course, here are lots of pictures :)

White Licorice

photo wl0513c_zps69dea928.jpg

photo wl0513d_zps14d6d017.jpg

photo wl0513_zps5caea54f.jpg

photo wl0511d_zpse0c110bb.jpg

photo wl0513a_zps1c6d9a85.jpg

Passionate Kisses

photo pk0717_zps1e337814.jpg

photo pk0513c_zps369cc76b.jpg

photo pk0513d_zps3acd53ca.jpg

Colorific

photo colorific0522b_zps884cf752.jpg

photo colorific0614b_zps074b68ed.jpg

photo colorific0522_zps10623dc7.jpg

o

Pat - Those all look fantastic, love everyone of them! Thanks for the pictures and your opinion of these three, I very much appreciate it. You do so good with your roses!

o

pat, I'm mainly into old roses, but I have to say White Licorice is gorgeous and would fit even into an old-rose garden. Your roses all look terrific, with an incredible number of flowers.

From what I can see of your house, old roses would look very romantic and appropriate with it.

Ingrid

o

You're killing me, Smalls. White Licorice is faboosh!

o

I am interested in all seven of the ones I listed and very much appreciate Pat's pictures and description of her three, I think I want all of those. I would like info on the others too, if anyone has experience with them. I have especially admired Amber Queen and French Lace for a long time, I hope someone is familiar with both or either one of those.

o

Thanks guys! White Licorice is a beauty with its wavy petals and delicate coloring, and I do think growth habit and bloom form would fit in nicely with the antiques. Heat tolerance is excellent here, but not sure how much of that can be attributed to our humidity. Ingrid, I really wasn’t very familiar with the antiques until I found this forum last year and discovered Petals from the Past an hour and a half south of me. I only had a few in my gardens that had been offered at a local nursery prior to that. I’ve added a couple of dozen since and probably would have far more antiques and a lot less moderns if I had known more about them earlier in my garden planning. I already have a wish list of several more to add next year. You were very helpful to me when I was trying to make my choices last year and needed guidance, and I’m very appreciative of that!
Sara Ann, I think you will be happy with those three, but I'm no help on the rest of your list. I've read good things about French Lace, but never seen it in person and am not familiar at all with the others. Hopefully, some others will chime in with experience.

o

• Posted by vasue 7A Charlottesville (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 18:09

I've grown two from your list, both grafted. Similar experience with grandiflora White Lightnin' as Pat, though recall it staying around 4' tall & equally as wide in a past 6b garden. Clean from blackspot no spray & didn't attract thrips, as some pale roses have for me. Great perfume & lovely zinnia-type blooms when fully open. Not a pale yellow for me, but a French vanilla with a buttery heart. Imagine planting next to yellow would bring that out more. Love the way you've bookended it with Julia Child, Pat! Thinking I need WL in this garden, too, and may copy your placement in admiration.

Amber Queen was a favorite in years past, just beautiful with ruffled blooms of amber & apricot shaded with buff. Good but not powerful fragrance, clean leaves in blackspot country no spray, grew 2x2 feet, old-style twiggy classic floribunda. Grafted bareroots succumbed (twice) to Winter cold, but the grafts were not buried, as most were not prior to the last few years. Would welcome AQ back again in a more sheltered spot, perhaps own root this time round.

Edited to add: Met French Lace many times in central Florida in gardens & nurseries while visiting my folks. Charming form & coloration, healthy there but unknown if spray protected. Not much of a scent to me, unless nose-deep for a faint nicely spicy sweet whiff. That removed it from consideration here, but was often tempted & always intrigued by it.

This post was edited by vasue on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 18:31

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here