Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Info on Floribunda varieties

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

Here are a few floribundas I am interested in. Would like to know what any of you think of these, if you are familiar with any of them.

French Lace
Amber Queen
Tickled Pink
Pink French Lace
Colorific
White Licorice
Passionate Kisses

Comments (9)

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Ooooh la la! Looked up Tickled Pink and love it. Where are you thinkng of ordering it from? Judy

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Judy - It is a pretty rose, isn't it? It looks like a perfect pink. The only place I can find it so far is Palatine, that is if they have it for 2015. If I decide to order it and they still list it, that would be where I would order it from.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pat - Those all look fantastic, love everyone of them! Thanks for the pictures and your opinion of these three, I very much appreciate it. You do so good with your roses!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

pat, I'm mainly into old roses, but I have to say White Licorice is gorgeous and would fit even into an old-rose garden. Your roses all look terrific, with an incredible number of flowers.

From what I can see of your house, old roses would look very romantic and appropriate with it.

Ingrid

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

You're killing me, Smalls. White Licorice is faboosh!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am interested in all seven of the ones I listed and very much appreciate Pat's pictures and description of her three, I think I want all of those. I would like info on the others too, if anyone has experience with them. I have especially admired Amber Queen and French Lace for a long time, I hope someone is familiar with both or either one of those.

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Thanks guys! White Licorice is a beauty with its wavy petals and delicate coloring, and I do think growth habit and bloom form would fit in nicely with the antiques. Heat tolerance is excellent here, but not sure how much of that can be attributed to our humidity. Ingrid, I really wasnâÂÂt very familiar with the antiques until I found this forum last year and discovered Petals from the Past an hour and a half south of me. I only had a few in my gardens that had been offered at a local nursery prior to that. IâÂÂve added a couple of dozen since and probably would have far more antiques and a lot less moderns if I had known more about them earlier in my garden planning. I already have a wish list of several more to add next year. You were very helpful to me when I was trying to make my choices last year and needed guidance, and IâÂÂm very appreciative of that!
    Sara Ann, I think you will be happy with those three, but I'm no help on the rest of your list. I've read good things about French Lace, but never seen it in person and am not familiar at all with the others. Hopefully, some others will chime in with experience.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

I've grown two from your list, both grafted. Similar experience with grandiflora White Lightnin' as Pat, though recall it staying around 4' tall & equally as wide in a past 6b garden. Clean from blackspot no spray & didn't attract thrips, as some pale roses have for me. Great perfume & lovely zinnia-type blooms when fully open. Not a pale yellow for me, but a French vanilla with a buttery heart. Imagine planting next to yellow would bring that out more. Love the way you've bookended it with Julia Child, Pat! Thinking I need WL in this garden, too, and may copy your placement in admiration.

Amber Queen was a favorite in years past, just beautiful with ruffled blooms of amber & apricot shaded with buff. Good but not powerful fragrance, clean leaves in blackspot country no spray, grew 2x2 feet, old-style twiggy classic floribunda. Grafted bareroots succumbed (twice) to Winter cold, but the grafts were not buried, as most were not prior to the last few years. Would welcome AQ back again in a more sheltered spot, perhaps own root this time round.

Edited to add: Met French Lace many times in central Florida in gardens & nurseries while visiting my folks. Charming form & coloration, healthy there but unknown if spray protected. Not much of a scent to me, unless nose-deep for a faint nicely spicy sweet whiff. That removed it from consideration here, but was often tempted & always intrigued by it.

This post was edited by vasue on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 18:31