Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Low petal count

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

I have a question about petal count on hybrid tea and floribunda roses. I have a bunch of newly planted ones and several of my hybrid teas and one floribunda so far are producing blooms with just a few petals. I know rose blooms are smaller during the heat of summer, but some of mine are just producing a few petals per bloom. I included a photo of a Double Delight bloom to show what they are doing. Not all my roses are blooming like this, but several are. So far - Double Delight, Tropicana, Chrysler Imperial, Mellow Yellow, Drop Dead Red and Fragrant Plum, Some that are blooming normally are Belinda's Dream, Tiffany, The McCartney Rose, Let Freedom Ring and others. The bushes are all healthy looking and free of disease. Are some varieties just more prone to this, is it normal? Do they just need more time to mature? It is frustrating when I have a rose bush loaded with buds and they open way too soon with very unimpressive blooms. These are all grafted and it doesn't seem to matter whether they are in containers or planted in the ground. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about this?

Comments (8)