Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayarea_girl

Vote for the best red rose!

In my search for the best red rose, I came across Sue Brown's beautiful picture of Black Magic rose and it's just amazing. This rose reminds me of the rose in Beauty and the Beast Disney movie.

I don't have this rose yet and hope to get it soon in a near future. Since I'm just a beginner in growing roses I'm sure many of you have seen other red roses that have beautiful shape, form and velvet texture. Please share your experience and pictures. Thank you to Sue Brown for the beautiful picture.

Comments (67)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

I don't have a favorite red rose. I have several and nearly all of them has been my favorite at some point. I've had Royal William the longest and when it is at its best it is beautiful. I've had some gorgeous blooms from Liebeszauber and Let Freedom Ring, but lack of fragrance is a let down in a red rose. My Firefighter is promising and I love the fragrance, same with Chrysler Imperial. My Veterans Honor started out kind of sickly, but seems to be coming along, it's starting to get some decent blooms, but then again not much fragrance. My most pleasant surprise is Amalia, it's a lovely red with a strong tea fragrance. There are so many other reds I would love to try. Pictured is Liebeszauber

• nastarana
    10 years ago

Another vote here for Mr. Lincoln. Color, shape and fragrance can't be beat. Long stems make it the perfect cut flower. It does tend to grow straight up, so don't place it in the front of short plants.

David Austen has introduced some nice red roses, if you want the old fashioned look. I am partial to Othello, despite the thorny bush. The Prince is an outstanding shrub. It offers almost continuous bloom, superb dark red to purple color and powerful fragrance. IMHO, the best "purple" rose I have ever seen.

• roserobin_gw
    10 years ago

Oklahoma is my favorite red for it's deep rich colour and intoxicating scent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma by Linda on Help me find

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Mr. Lincoln.....hard to beat in my garden. My Veterans Honor , Let Freedom Ring, Royal William and Ascot are very nice,too. But it`s Mr. Lincoln that warms my heart time and again. Actually...I love them all! Lesley

• deervssteve
    10 years ago

When I started growing HT after over 20 years, I chose Olympiad as my red. I didn't like the bluing of Mr. Lincoln and I thought Olympiad out performed Chrysler Imperial.
    If I have room for another red, I might plant Chrysler Imperial.

• a_roy
    10 years ago

Hey,
    Alec's red get's my vote. Beautiful, fragrant, good re-bloom, needs only a bit of spray in my humid zone.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Well, here are two of my prettiest reds which are finishing up blooming now.

BLACK MAGIC
    {{gwi:319733}}

LET FREEDOM RING
    {{gwi:319735}}

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beth,
    Your Black Magic is beautiful. I have Let Freedom Ring and Mr Lincoln too and like both of them but they are more like dark pink than red for me. The true red I current have are Scarlet Knight (hybrid tea) and Preference (floribunda). Next year, I will add a few more red roses.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@desertgarden561:

Lynn,

You mentioned about removing your Black Magic rose from your garden soon. I wonder if you haven't promised it to someone, I would love to have it and will pay the the shipping to north California (San Francisco Bay Area). Thanks.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Bayarea-girl,

Hi,

It is grafted and mature. I've had it for about 9 years. It is on Dr. Huey rootstock. That entire bed is going to be dug up sometime in early October so I can prepare for other roses. I had also planned to discard a Tropicanna and what i believe is a Dick Clark.

I just do not know how to prepare it for shipping as the bush is at least 5', and it must have a rather large root ball at this point. I have also contemplated just moving it and the others to the side of the house where it receives sun, but is relatively hidden; to have roses just for cutting that will not be part of the yard design. I can tell you that it has about 20"+ of bare leg so I am not extremely attached to it.

• amandahugg
    10 years ago

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ingrid Bergman. It should do very well in the bay area.

• Tuggy3
    10 years ago

Beautiful reds. Alec's Red is a beauty in these pictures. Black Magic is starting to cook here with a five degree drop in temperature.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@amandahugg:
    Ingrid Bergman is on my pre-order list of added red roses for next year with Opening Night and Veterans' Honor. Thx.

• Jim_in_AV
    10 years ago

I'll give a shout out for Lasting Love. It can take the heat in the desert.

• illutionary
    10 years ago

@bayarea-girl Opening night is resilient, beat out this terrible winter, exquisite form, shoots out flowers left and right and that red is the most saturated deep velvet I have ever seen. I am looking to get an Ingrid burg man this years but so far Opening night has my #1 spot. the red in this shot doesn't do it justice.

• msjam2
    10 years ago

Nothing beats Rouge Royale in my garden, not even Chrysler Imperial.

• msjam2
    10 years ago

Nothing beats Rouge Royale in my garden, not even Chrysler Imperial.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

I have high hopes for Rouge Royale which has its first bud almost ready to open for me. I'm glad to see it recommended above. I haven't seen a whole lot of positive press for it. It's almost certainly my favorite red HT from the shrubs and photos I have seen. It may not be my favorite in a few years, but I hope so!

As far as other reds: Lavaglut seems like it's a very good red Floribunda. That's done nicely at my parent's house so far. Home Run isn't like most of these suggestions, but it's a very healthy, very floriferous red shrub. Munstead Wood, The Prince, and Darcey Bussell all appeal to me amongst the red Austins.

Don Juan has been alright for my mom. Somewhat prone to insect related issues so far, but beautiful blooms.

I also liked Francois Rabelais when I saw it last year. Very old-fashioned bloom form on a smaller Floribunda. Ingrid Bergman seems to make up for its lack of scent with a bit more health than many Red HTs from what I've seen. I don't have one though. Francis Dubreuil is widely beleived to be the HT Barcelona, and many people enjoy that rose also.

I won't be growing it anytime soon, but Baron Girod de l'Ain may be my favorite red rose, setting classes and quality as a garden plant aside. I love those white edges. I've heard it's a nasty shrub for areas like this though.

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 14:59

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

I don't grow HTs and prefer floribundas and shrubs. For David Austins I love my Munstead Wood and Falstaff, but in my garden they tend toward magenta. Lavaglut is a bloom machine and the color is dark and rich, though the blooms are small. The standout red in my garden, and my personal favorite red, is BLACK CHERRY.

Red is not my favorite rose color but most of my garden visitors seem attracted to reds. Black Cherry has that wow factor and gets the most compliments. It's also an attractive well balanced bush with dark shiny foliage and pretty good black spot resistance. Oh My! is similar, but there is something a little more refined about Black Cherry.

Sorry no pics, it's such a deep color that I can't get a good picture of it!

• erasmus_gw
    10 years ago

Will look up Black Cherry. Lavaglut is good here too. Mine is grafted on Fortuniana and really made a good, round shrub with good rebloom. The blooms last a very long time on the plant even in sun. It does get some blackspot and is very thorny. My Fortuniana grafted plants seem to have come through a hard winter ok, and I even have a few plants of it in pots and there seems to be no winter damage to them after temps of five degrees and extended freezes.
    Lavaglut:

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

If we are considering shrubs as well as HTs, let's not forget the wonderful Braveheart:
    {{gwi:277659}}

It's beauty--red blooms stay red, no fading to purple or pink--may occasionally have a few BS problems but usually has good disease-resistance. Good rebloom, but watch out for those sharp thorns. About 3.5 tall x 4 ft.wide. Those deep red blooms are wonderful.

Kate

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Kate - I've been admiring your Braveheart for awhile now, it is gorgeous!

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

I'm not sure I can pick who is the best red rose since there are so many good ones, and many have already been named here. I would like to add these to the list also. The first is one I think will be a fine rose, and that one is Munstead Wood. It does well for me. It has a good color, fragrance, good repeat, and is sturdy.

{{gwi:222300}}

The next one is one that I think has good show rose power that does okay here but better in a cooler climate, and that one is Ace of Hearts/Asso di Couri.

{{gwi:319737}}

Another overlooked rose is the grandiflora Starfire which had the same parents as Queen Elizabeth and was also an AARS winner. It consistently has made a good showing in my garden after it got going.

{{gwi:319738}}

I really cannot leave out my pet blackspot magnet that is the first to bloom, last to quit, and usually has flowers on it most of the time. It is the hybrid perpetual Fisher Holmes which is quite a showoff in the spring.

{{gwi:319739}}

Along with Lavaglut, which I don't have a great picture of, this red floribunda deserves to be on the list of great reds. It is Lilli Marlene. It puts on a good display almost all season.

{{gwi:319740}}

I hope you will find these worthy examples to be added to the list of great reds.

• zjw727
    10 years ago

Oklahoma! It's the only red rose that I grow. In fact, it's the only red flower in my garden, period. That rich dark color and strong damask scent make it irresistable!!!

• Alana8aSC
    10 years ago

I give my vote for Mr. Lincoln as well.It can't be beet for bloom color, form and scent. Be sure to put it in morning sun as mine gets cooked by afternoon sun, but I still love it! It does, at least here grow taller than wider and is grafted on Dr, Huey.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

I have only one red.
    I garden at my grandparents house.
    And before she died my grandma had a rule for the rose bed.
    No red roses!
    So I snuck just one in the furthest forgotten corner.
    Hopefully she wouldn't be too mad.

It's black baccara.

Slow growing, slow repeat. Tiny blooms. Remarkably disease resistant in my yard.
    Beautiful deep red.
    And I only caught one picture of it last year.

If you wondering why it's at night.
    During the day the bloom was shaded and the behind bit was sunny.
    Resulting in very bad pictures.
    This is as true to life as I could make it. But it was still a little richer and darker during the day.

So here's my only red.

• sandandsun
    10 years ago

Possibly related thread linked below. BTW, FdB is:

Francis Dubreuil

Here is a link that might be useful: Most fragrant red hybrid tea

• bouquet_kansas
    10 years ago

I vote.......from my garden here in south central Kansas:

1st place- Veteran's Honor

2nd place-Beloved

3rd place-Olympiad

• angelml
    6 years ago

My vote is for Veterans Honour.

• rosesmi5a
    6 years ago

Here in MI, no spray, no winter protection, planted 4" deep against the south wall of the garage, a grafted plant in a hot sunny location: Firefighter. Last summer, its third year, the plant had at least one very fragrant, long lasting flower a week. My house never smelled so good!

Sunny

• barbarag_happy
    6 years ago

Mister Lincoln just doesn't do well in our heat; Chrysler Imperial is better, and Oklahoma seems almost happy.

That said, my best red is Lavaglut! I love the spring flush with giant sprays of perfect little blooms.

I have hopes for my newest, Dark Desire. He seems to be concentrating on building size. Hope I see some blooms later this season and meanwhile drooling over other people's pics.

• barbarag_happy
    6 years ago

Back in z6 Ohio I loved Precious Platinum ( yes it's red) and Kardinal an HT from Kordes. He has since reused that name for one of his Kolorscape shrubs which is also a really nice red.

For fragrance tho it was Mister Lincoln in first place..all 6 feet of him! Perfect name for a really tall rose..

• erasmus_gw
    6 years ago

I bought Braveheart own root from RU last year and it was an outstanding bloomer and grower for a new plant. Very beautiful large deep red blooms. My Firefighter on Fortuniana is excellent. Also bought Out of Rosenheim last year and it was also good. Fisher Holmes looks very tempting but looks like it would need a lot of room. Anyone grow Henry Nevard?

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year

I am loving Papa Meilland, Gypsy Soul, Munstead Wood and Ingrid Bergman.

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

My favorite red roses, each very different from the other are: another score for Munstead Wood; Ascot, and Rouge Royale. I love them almost equally, but I'd give the edge to Munstead Wood, just about my top Austin rose. Diane

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    last year
    last modified: last year

I also love Munstead Wood and Rogue Royal in my garden. I haven't been able to buy Ascot, but I'm always enjoying Diane's.

MW

RR

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Gorgeous roses, Librarian. And such great photos, which you always take. I just got notified of your post, and had a laugh because it said "but I'm always annoying Diane's". This somehow changed to enjoying in the post above. That's pretty hilarious. Please don't annoy my roses, and I'll leave yours alone. Diane

last year

I am on the wait list for Rouge Royal. If I can get that one I can call it a day. Lol what a fibber.

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    last year

Diane my phone thinks it's smarter than me and often autocorrects my words. It did say that I was always annoying your Ascot! I updated my post when I caught the error. I'm glad it gave you a laugh 😅If only we were neighbors and I could enjoy and not annoy your beautiful garden in person.

Thank you for your compliments. So many beautiful photos from you all have greatly inspired the development of my garden!

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    last year

I have 2 Gypsy Souls after someone recommended it last winter.

very excited about those.

i also got an ingrid bergman hoping for a red HT that could handle my negligence.

I have 2 Cl Crimson Glory and 1 HT (new) which are my favorite rose blooms ive ever had, but so far scarce.

Oklahoma is my favorite until CG can put on some size.

Mister Lincoln and Dark Desire are also great for me.

Chrysler Imperial and Olympiad needed more attention than the others.

Ive killed Black Magic twice unfortunately.

last year

JC , im excited about Gypsy Soul too. I also just planted Bordeaux which I keep hearing great things about.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year

Gypsy soul looks a great rose. Could someone share about its fragrance? Thanks!

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    last year

My very best red is Veteran’s Honor. I think it might be close to my very best rose of any color, with such huge perfect blooms produced in great abundance. The quality is especially stark in the hot summer months when many roses burn and shrivel while Veterans Honor still looks florist shop perfect.

My very best highly fragrant rose is Firefighter. Again , a most generous bloomer, and always saturated with true rose scent:

I’ve seen Munstead Wood often at the public garden and understand why others like is so much. I’ll have to try one out.

My favorite color of red is Loves Promise. It’s a pure black red that is at the same time soft velvet and bright electric. Alas my plant is young and I don’t have a great pic, but this gives some idea of what it looks like:

Interesting that Helen started the thread 8 years ago when she was new to roses and she now probably has a greater collection than Tom Carruth and his Huntington Gardens. So @bayarea_girl_z10a_ca, what is your best red rose?

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    last year

Im not good at identifying scent but i consider it to be strong and a pleasant floral

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    last year

Beautiful reds everyone. This year in my garden Grande Amore took the prize for best, productive red. i have other reds in my garden that i love for various reasons: Veteran’s Honor, Let Freedom Ring, Red Intuition, Darcey Bussell, Mr. Caleb Caleb, and Black Magic (one of my favorite blooms, but bush has declined over years, winter tender).

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year

Thanks @jc_7a_MiddleTN for the fragrance comment on Gypsy Soul. That is wonderful.

Ben, Firefighter is great in picture and the fragrance is enticing.

Hopefully I can find one of these two in bloom in local nursery next season

• erasmus_gw
    last year

I second Ascot. It's not only beautiful but makes such a nice plant...vigorous, good health, well-branched. I like Rouge Royale very much for fragrance, color, and shape but it's blackspot prone here. I like Munstead Wood also.

Traviata makes a good plant, fairly healthy, good repeat, big , full blooms but not fragrant to me. It is tall and upright, very stocky.

Braveheart is a great repeater. Blooms are usually large.

Louis XIV is a wonderful red though blackspot prone. It repeats so well, and is very fragrant.

My seedling of Louis XIV, Jack Daniel. It's also bs prone but repeats well and I like it a lot. It has tiny blooms, almost black most of the time. Seems to be a climbing mini.

I second Red Intuition for health, vigor, and rebloom.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    last year

Darcey Bussel is a lovely mannerly red rose. Valentine blooms 365 days a year in So Cal and lasts a week in a vase but on very short stems. Dakota Redwing has a wonderful fragrance. Ascot and Firefighter are two i would love to try. Ascot seems to be hard to find.

last year

Ben, I didnt miss the irony of Helen as a new rose grower. She certainly has a gift for incredible roses