Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vote for the best red rose!

Posted by bayarea-girl none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 17:54

In my search for the best red rose, I came across Sue Brown's beautiful picture of Black Magic rose and it's just amazing. This rose reminds me of the rose in Beauty and the Beast Disney movie.

I don't have this rose yet and hope to get it soon in a near future. Since I'm just a beginner in growing roses I'm sure many of you have seen other red roses that have beautiful shape, form and velvet texture. Please share your experience and pictures. Thank you to Sue Brown for the beautiful picture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vote for the best red rose!

The roses produced by Black Magic are beautiful. The plant is extremely leggy. I have not found it to be very floriferous, nor to have a great repeat. I have grown it for 7 years. Crimson bouquet has lovely flowers, on a healthy plant, with dark green leaves, plus a good repeat. I have not grown a lot of reds recently except for Black Magic and Don Juan. I will not be without Don Juan in my dry hot climate, but Black Magic will be removed next month.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 19:56

o

My vote goes to 'Governor Rosellini'. NOTdramatic. NOT a deep, dark velvety Valentine's Day red.

It is, however, great on its own roots, fragant, healthy and reliably productive in my environment.

o

Chrysler Imperial

The luscious scent screams: "THIS is what a big red rose should smell like"

o

I grew Mr. Lincoln years ago in a different garden. It is a vigorous and fragrant rose with nice blooms and color.
It does need ample room. It is a classic.

Lynn

o

Veteran's Honor. By far the best formed rose I've ever grown and it lasts and lasts in the garden and in the vase. Just superb! And a heavy bloomer. Mine is still small, just a few canes really, and she always has flowers or buds forming.

o

My favorite red hybrid tea is MISTER LINCOLN, although I've read very good things about both Firefighter and Veterans Honor. The climbing sport of Crimson Glory is supposed to be the best climber as the nodding blooms are shown to best effect. Personally I'm really appreciating the Cl. Orfeo that I got from Vintage gardens. David Austin's William Shakespeare 2000 is a another favorite if you are into purply-red blossoms that look like pincushions of crushed velvet.

o

Crimson Glory - old fashioned rose scent is very very strong.

Jackie

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 15:19

Did someone say red? I love red roses. For a first time rose grower I always suggest Chrysler Imperial in my area. Mister Lincoln (its offspring) is pretty too, but its blooms sit atop an 8+ foot bush. Chyrsler Imperial stays at an eye and nose level height of 4 1/2 to 5 feet. I prefer that to climbing a ladder to see my roses. If there is a downside for you on either of these two roses it is that they will need to be sprayed for powdery mildew in cool weather....You also might want to think about Olympiad. It appreciates a cooler climate then mine, although still does well here. Veteran's Honor is another winner. Some people can't detect any fragrance from either, but I and many of the noses that have visited my garden can. Like all things you will have to judge for yourself......But you liked Black Magic and it is a nice red rose. The flower form is rather flat and it's not as prolific a bloomer as the above, but it's a good solid rose and if you like it, then I say go for it. My first rose was Chrysler Imperial, and as much as I love it, it hasn't stopped me from adding more red roses to my garden as the years have passed and so can you. Roses do the color red better then any other plant in the garden........good luck....Maryl

o

For a deeper red with gorgeous scent, the nonstop bloomer (for me) Munstead Wood is my suggestion. Of course, it's not a traditional hybrid tea, either. Diane

o

Black Magic and Veteran's Honor are my 2 favorite reds. Let Freedom Ring and Grande Amore are next on the list.

o

• Posted by jim1961 5/6 Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 10:01

What growing zone/state are you in bayarea-girl?

o

@jim1961: my zone is 9B, San Francisco Bay Area.

o

• Posted by jim1961 5/6 Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 12:28

Thanks bayarea-girl... That will help people recommend roses better... :)

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 13:11

For form Veterans' Honor can't be beat. Unfortunately it isn't the healthiest of roses and spots pretty bad. So I think I'd have to go with my Crimson Bouquet. It doesn't have the same form but it's a very healthy plant, blooms more and more often, and has the fragrance that VH lacks.

o

Oklahoma has been great for me for years even in quite a bit of shade. It reblooms well, is pretty healthy, gorgeous large blooms in a rich deep shade, and it's powerfully fragrant. Alec's Red is new to me and was ho hum the first year but this spring had some enchanting blooms with intense fragrance. Veteran's Honor is good here. I got Firefighter this spring and can't say much about it yet.

Here's Alec's Red this spring:

o

Here's a picture that captured a darker color of Alec's Red:

o

Eramus,

The image showing the darker color for Alec's Red is gorgeous!!!!!!

Lynn

o

I don't have a favorite red rose. I have several and nearly all of them has been my favorite at some point. I've had Royal William the longest and when it is at its best it is beautiful. I've had some gorgeous blooms from Liebeszauber and Let Freedom Ring, but lack of fragrance is a let down in a red rose. My Firefighter is promising and I love the fragrance, same with Chrysler Imperial. My Veterans Honor started out kind of sickly, but seems to be coming along, it's starting to get some decent blooms, but then again not much fragrance. My most pleasant surprise is Amalia, it's a lovely red with a strong tea fragrance. There are so many other reds I would love to try. Pictured is Liebeszauber

o

Another vote here for Mr. Lincoln. Color, shape and fragrance can't be beat. Long stems make it the perfect cut flower. It does tend to grow straight up, so don't place it in the front of short plants.

David Austen has introduced some nice red roses, if you want the old fashioned look. I am partial to Othello, despite the thorny bush. The Prince is an outstanding shrub. It offers almost continuous bloom, superb dark red to purple color and powerful fragrance. IMHO, the best "purple" rose I have ever seen.

o

Oklahoma is my favorite red for it's deep rich colour and intoxicating scent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma by Linda on Help me find

o

Mr. Lincoln.....hard to beat in my garden. My Veterans Honor , Let Freedom Ring, Royal William and Ascot are very nice,too. But it`s Mr. Lincoln that warms my heart time and again. Actually...I love them all! Lesley

o

When I started growing HT after over 20 years, I chose Olympiad as my red. I didn't like the bluing of Mr. Lincoln and I thought Olympiad out performed Chrysler Imperial.
If I have room for another red, I might plant Chrysler Imperial.

o

Hey,
Alec's red get's my vote. Beautiful, fragrant, good re-bloom, needs only a bit of spray in my humid zone.

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 21:25

Well, here are two of my prettiest reds which are finishing up blooming now.

BLACK MAGIC
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

LET FREEDOM RING
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

Beth,
Your Black Magic is beautiful. I have Let Freedom Ring and Mr Lincoln too and like both of them but they are more like dark pink than red for me. The true red I current have are Scarlet Knight (hybrid tea) and Preference (floribunda). Next year, I will add a few more red roses.

o

@desertgarden561:

Lynn,

You mentioned about removing your Black Magic rose from your garden soon. I wonder if you haven't promised it to someone, I would love to have it and will pay the the shipping to north California (San Francisco Bay Area). Thanks.

o

Bayarea-girl,

Hi,

It is grafted and mature. I've had it for about 9 years. It is on Dr. Huey rootstock. That entire bed is going to be dug up sometime in early October so I can prepare for other roses. I had also planned to discard a Tropicanna and what i believe is a Dick Clark.

I just do not know how to prepare it for shipping as the bush is at least 5', and it must have a rather large root ball at this point. I have also contemplated just moving it and the others to the side of the house where it receives sun, but is relatively hidden; to have roses just for cutting that will not be part of the yard design. I can tell you that it has about 20"+ of bare leg so I am not extremely attached to it.

o

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ingrid Bergman. It should do very well in the bay area.

o

Beautiful reds. Alec's Red is a beauty in these pictures. Black Magic is starting to cook here with a five degree drop in temperature.

o

@amandahugg:
Ingrid Bergman is on my pre-order list of added red roses for next year with Opening Night and Veterans' Honor. Thx.

o

I'll give a shout out for Lasting Love. It can take the heat in the desert.

o

@bayarea-girl Opening night is resilient, beat out this terrible winter, exquisite form, shoots out flowers left and right and that red is the most saturated deep velvet I have ever seen. I am looking to get an Ingrid burg man this years but so far Opening night has my #1 spot. the red in this shot doesn't do it justice.

o

Nothing beats Rouge Royale in my garden, not even Chrysler Imperial.

o

Nothing beats Rouge Royale in my garden, not even Chrysler Imperial.

o

I have high hopes for Rouge Royale which has its first bud almost ready to open for me. I'm glad to see it recommended above. I haven't seen a whole lot of positive press for it. It's almost certainly my favorite red HT from the shrubs and photos I have seen. It may not be my favorite in a few years, but I hope so!

As far as other reds: Lavaglut seems like it's a very good red Floribunda. That's done nicely at my parent's house so far. Home Run isn't like most of these suggestions, but it's a very healthy, very floriferous red shrub. Munstead Wood, The Prince, and Darcey Bussell all appeal to me amongst the red Austins.

Don Juan has been alright for my mom. Somewhat prone to insect related issues so far, but beautiful blooms.

I also liked Francois Rabelais when I saw it last year. Very old-fashioned bloom form on a smaller Floribunda. Ingrid Bergman seems to make up for its lack of scent with a bit more health than many Red HTs from what I've seen. I don't have one though. Francis Dubreuil is widely beleived to be the HT Barcelona, and many people enjoy that rose also.

I won't be growing it anytime soon, but Baron Girod de l'Ain may be my favorite red rose, setting classes and quality as a garden plant aside. I love those white edges. I've heard it's a nasty shrub for areas like this though.

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 14:59

o

I don't grow HTs and prefer floribundas and shrubs. For David Austins I love my Munstead Wood and Falstaff, but in my garden they tend toward magenta. Lavaglut is a bloom machine and the color is dark and rich, though the blooms are small. The standout red in my garden, and my personal favorite red, is BLACK CHERRY.

Red is not my favorite rose color but most of my garden visitors seem attracted to reds. Black Cherry has that wow factor and gets the most compliments. It's also an attractive well balanced bush with dark shiny foliage and pretty good black spot resistance. Oh My! is similar, but there is something a little more refined about Black Cherry.

Sorry no pics, it's such a deep color that I can't get a good picture of it!

o

Will look up Black Cherry. Lavaglut is good here too. Mine is grafted on Fortuniana and really made a good, round shrub with good rebloom. The blooms last a very long time on the plant even in sun. It does get some blackspot and is very thorny. My Fortuniana grafted plants seem to have come through a hard winter ok, and I even have a few plants of it in pots and there seems to be no winter damage to them after temps of five degrees and extended freezes.
Lavaglut:

o

If we are considering shrubs as well as HTs, let's not forget the wonderful Braveheart:
Braveheart--view south photo braveheartview_zpsb703ba43.jpg

It's beauty--red blooms stay red, no fading to purple or pink--may occasionally have a few BS problems but usually has good disease-resistance. Good rebloom, but watch out for those sharp thorns. About 3.5 tall x 4 ft.wide. Those deep red blooms are wonderful.

Kate

o

Kate - I've been admiring your Braveheart for awhile now, it is gorgeous!

o

I'm not sure I can pick who is the best red rose since there are so many good ones, and many have already been named here. I would like to add these to the list also. The first is one I think will be a fine rose, and that one is Munstead Wood. It does well for me. It has a good color, fragrance, good repeat, and is sturdy.

Munstead Wood-3 photo MunsteadWood-3.jpg

The next one is one that I think has good show rose power that does okay here but better in a cooler climate, and that one is Ace of Hearts/Asso di Couri.

Ace of Hearts-4 photo AceofHearts-4_zps4647a3ff.jpg

Another overlooked rose is the grandiflora Starfire which had the same parents as Queen Elizabeth and was also an AARS winner. It consistently has made a good showing in my garden after it got going.

Starfire-4 photo Starfire-4_zpsd2cce531.jpg

I really cannot leave out my pet blackspot magnet that is the first to bloom, last to quit, and usually has flowers on it most of the time. It is the hybrid perpetual Fisher Holmes which is quite a showoff in the spring.

Fisher Holmes-3 photo FisherHolmes-3_zpsd1ec7404.jpg

Along with Lavaglut, which I don't have a great picture of, this red floribunda deserves to be on the list of great reds. It is Lilli Marlene. It puts on a good display almost all season.

Lilli Marleen-1 photo LilliMarleen-1_zps778f7fc3.jpg

I hope you will find these worthy examples to be added to the list of great reds.

o

• Posted by zjw727 Coastal Oregon Zone (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 13:07

Oklahoma! It's the only red rose that I grow. In fact, it's the only red flower in my garden, period. That rich dark color and strong damask scent make it irresistable!!!

o

I give my vote for Mr. Lincoln as well.It can't be beet for bloom color, form and scent. Be sure to put it in morning sun as mine gets cooked by afternoon sun, but I still love it! It does, at least here grow taller than wider and is grafted on Dr, Huey.

o

I have only one red.
I garden at my grandparents house.
And before she died my grandma had a rule for the rose bed.
No red roses!
So I snuck just one in the furthest forgotten corner.
Hopefully she wouldn't be too mad.

It's black baccara.

Slow growing, slow repeat. Tiny blooms. Remarkably disease resistant in my yard.
Beautiful deep red.
And I only caught one picture of it last year.

If you wondering why it's at night.
During the day the bloom was shaded and the behind bit was sunny.
Resulting in very bad pictures.
This is as true to life as I could make it. But it was still a little richer and darker during the day.

So here's my only red.

o
From the Archives

Possibly related thread linked below. BTW, FdB is:

Francis Dubreuil

Here is a link that might be useful: Most fragrant red hybrid tea

o

I vote.......from my garden here in south central Kansas:

1st place- Veteran's Honor

2nd place-Beloved

3rd place-Olympiad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here