Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pembroke_gw

grafted or own roots

pembroke
10 years ago

How does one tell if rose is grafted or is on it's own roots? I have a Queen Elizabeth that has done poorly this year (2nd year for this rose in my garden), a bloom here and there. Now I have lots of stems coming from the root. Not too worried because the upper has several canes that have died out. Hoping that the new canes will be the QE and I can start over with this rose. Sorry for the rambling. need answer to first question. Pembroke

Comments (14)

• sunflowersrus222
    10 years ago

If you have a grafted rose this link will show you what is happening.... the new growth coming off your roots would be root suckers. Grafted roses are attached to another rose bush. The roots of that "other" rose bush can send off shoots out to the sides. CHeck out this photo I've linked to get a better idea.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Where did you purchase the rose? You can probably contact them and ask if their roses are grafted or own root. If not then you have to check your plant out carefully and see how it is growing. If it is grafted there will be a large knobby part at the base between the roots and the top growth. Usually own root plants do not have the large knob but the canes are evenly spread out right from the root ball or from a large single cane at the base. If you can get a picture of the very base of your rose where the canes come out we may be able to help you figure it out.

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

If it's grafted, did you bury the graft below the surface of the soil? I see you're in zone 6, which would be normal practice there. If so, they *could* be Q.E. shoots coming up, which would be great! If not, they're probably rootstock suckers.

If you're not sure, I guess you could let them go a little while and compare the foliage...

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

When they bloom, you'll know.

The nursery you purchased them from can sometimes be a clue. If you bought them at Roses Unlimited or Chamblees, for instance, there is a good chance they are own root. But if you bought them at Palatine or David Austin or Reagans (and a host of other nurseries), they are probably grafted.

And sometimes you can determine what they are grafted with by which nursery you purchased them from. Palatine nursery usually (always?) grafts with multi-flora. David Austin grafts with Dr. Huey. etc.

If you read enough smaller print at the online sites, they will usually specify what they do.

Kate

• pembroke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

good news bad news: Good news I found out where I purchased this rose. Bad news I bought it from J&P. I think it is grafted but have put in an e-mail to J&P and asked about own or grafted. More to come. Pembroke

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

If it came from J&P it's grafted.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

J&P grafts on Dr. Huey. Only a select set of their plants are own root, Queen Elizabeth was not one of those.

• pembroke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As I found out today. So what to do? keep the root suckers cut off and how to get the upper part to be more healthy? All advise is appreciated. Pembroke

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

What level did you plant the rose at? IOW, where is the graft in relationship to the soil level? If the graft is buried, CAREFULLY did and see if the new growth is from the graft or below it. If it isn't from below the graft, it's OK.

I have experience with a truly insane number of grafted J&P plants. Very, very few of them sucker from the rootstock just for the heck of it. Though in this case it does sound possible that the rootstock is growing because the scion is dying off.

• pembroke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the ball is barely above ground and the suckers were coming from roots. I'm not too proud to admit a mistake if I've made one about the graft ball. Just want to keep the upper part alive and healthy. Info or advise?? PLEASE. Thanks. Pembroke

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Dr. Huey suckers sometimes shoot up tall and thin and sometimes flop outward. Usually QE grows up stiff and tall but not as fast as Dr.Huey. The Dr. Hueys will steal all the food and water from the upper part QE unless you take them off where they join the roots. As long as you have something alive from the top, the rose can grow more branches . QE is pretty sturdy but does need regular watering.

• pembroke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

question: should I dig up and bury the grafted part or leave alone? Thanks. Pembroke

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

In Zone 6 (at least in my region in Kansas) , it is best if you put the graft at soil level or a couple inches below. If it is at soil level, just provide some winter cover to help protect it. Apply the winter mulch after freezing weather arrives.

Of course if you have a winter like we had this past year, protection probably is not needed at all. Warmest winter I remember in this region.

Burying the graft 1-2 inches is the usual winter protection, but no, at this point I wouldn't dig up the whole plant in order to plant it deeper. Give it some winter protection and in the spring, when it blooms, see what you have. If Dr. Huey is all you have left, well, that tells you what to do, doesn't it!

Kate

• pembroke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all. Lots of good info. Pembroke

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia