Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wasps and spiders vs. aphids and rose slugs

Posted by terry94705 SF Bay (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 4, 09 at 18:13

I've enjoyed the bug pictures people have posted. Sadly, I don't have a great camera for catching insects, but I did confirm this week that wasps and spiders are friends to roses.

I noticed that the wasps in my garden were always checking out the undersides of leaves and tender new growth. I finally figured out that they are after rose slugs and aphids. And doing a pretty good job.

And yesterday I saw a tiny hunting spider, about an eighth of an inch long, chowing down on a rose slug that was quite a bit bigger.

I've been hand squishing a few slugs here and there, but it's good to have help!

Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wasps and spiders vs. aphids and rose slugs

I too love my garden spiders... If I ever get JBs in my garden, I would want a gigantic fuzzy tarantula hunter spider with banded legs, hahaha for catching them... I am not looking forward to getting those JBs...

Well, terry I am having great difficulty having wasps and bees in my garden...I think my next door neighbors are all killing them before they have the chance to settle in my garden...Everything starting in late July is so far deserted, the bee balm the lavender, the oregano, the nepata, sigh! once in a blue moon I'll get a handful of tiny wasps and native bees. But maddeningly enough they will disappear again! It's pretty sad when most of the fliers are...ugh! flies! This is why it's so important to save the bees.

but thank goodness at least the spiders aren't killed off.. I think it's because they don't fly off to a different territory but stay in my rose bushes... I love the huge cobwebs they spin at the base of all my large rose bushes... It keeps away the aphids... If only they would go to the top of my roses to keep away the thrips...But my guess is that they don't like hot pepper spray I keep spraying on my blooms, LOL!

o

I love my garden spiders as well. I have not seen too many bees or wasps this year.

Ser, have you tried speaking to your neighbors?

o

I never use pesticides because it kills the good guys. I just squish the aphids and leave the remnants for the predators.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here