Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pfzimmerman

Mike Lowe passed yesterday.

pfzimmerman
14 years ago

Mike Lowe a true champion of old roses passed suddenly yesterday. He'd been in the hospital but this was still sudden and a shock. His wife Irene has her Children and Grandchildren with her.

For those of who knew Mike you know what he meant to the world of roses and particularly old roses. He collected roses from all over the world and unselfishly gave cuttings, information, thoughts and observations. For those of you who didn't know Mike but love old roses many of the varieties we have in this country came here because of him. The world of roses has lost a true friend.

On a personal note Ashdown Roses would not exist without Mike and Irene Lowe. They gave generously of their rose collection, knowledge and help from day one. Their rose collection was and still is the core of what we do.

Please keep Irene and her Family in your thoughts and prayers over the upcoming days.

Paul

Comments (18)

• judith5bmontreal
    14 years ago

My sincere condolences to you on the loss of your friend, and my prayers go out to his family.
    Judith

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

I'm new to rose growing and did not know Mike & family, but, Irene & her family will be in our prayers. And i'm sorry to hear that Mike has passed. He sounds like he was a really good man that liked to help others. It's a great loss to lose people like Mike. God Bless!

JIM

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

I am sorry for your loss, Paul. It seems like each time an esteemed rosarian passes there are fewer to take their place. I am thankful for the likes of you, Jeri, Karl, Ann, and gobs others even right here on the forum who pass on their knowledge and experience to continue the legacy of rose growing.

Blessings,
    Green

• henry_kuska
    14 years ago

Mike was also a rose breeder. He was one of the first to successfully breed with the very hardy Canadian climber, William Baffin. A list of his roses is at:

http://www.helpmefind.com/plant/l.php?l=7.6831&tab=2

I only knew him as a breeder. I found him to be a very helpful, friendly person.

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

OH what a loss.

• petsitterbarb
    14 years ago

Thank you, Paul, for letting us know about this loss. If he loved roses, then he's practically family to all who share his passion. I'm so sad for his family and his friends. I'm sure it is comforting to you to know that you are helping carry on his dreams...

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Paul I am so sorry to hear of your loss of such a beloved friend. Your loving tribute to him really touched our hearts, and we can see what a special spirit he was to both his roses, to your deep friendship and to his family. He has truly lived an amazing life and yes the rose world owes a world of roses to him. We will be keeping Irene and his children and grandchildren in our prayers. Many condolences, Paul. I know this must feel absolutely devastating. It is so hard to lose such a good friend, but I know he is thinking of you too with his blessings and love. Many hugs...

• pfzimmerman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We will try to make sure the family sees all the kind things everyone is writing. I'm sure it will mean a great deal to them.

The funeral home has an on-line site where you can send a message of condolence to the family. Here is the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mike Lowe Guest Book

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Paul, that is such a wonderful thoughtful thing to post Mike Lowe's Guest Book. Both Jim1961 and I are doing our prayers and I will sign in later tonight...

Henry Kuska, that is wonderful for you to put out a link on some of the roses that Mike Lowe bred. Along that line I thought of an idea. Maybe if we can all work together to get all the link of roses and if anyone grows any of these and has photos of their roses, we can perhaps get some warm-wishes, thinking-of-you memorial bouquets going for him and his family.

As HenryKuska listed there's Autumn Sunset, Eglantine which many of you have... If anyone has difficulty knowing how to post a photo, email me with the hyperlinks and I'll try to put them up. Or anyone else who knows how to post photos can likewise volunteer.

• patricianat
    14 years ago

How fortunate am I to have met this remarkable man. How unfortunate is the world that I have not lived up to the expectations that were there for all for us, but which this man exceeded.

• pfzimmerman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lovely idea for photos!

{{gwi:320135}}
    Irene's Delight named for Mike's wife Irene

{{gwi:320136}}
    Autumn Sunset

{{gwi:320137}}
    Friend's Forever

{{gwi:320138}}
    Fairfield Pink Cluster

{{gwi:320139}}
    Grandma Lowe's Climber

{{gwi:320140}}
    Lowe's Eglantine

{{gwi:320141}}
    Bon Chance (syn. 'Mike's Old Fashioned Pink)

{{gwi:320142}}
    Nozomi's Child

{{gwi:320144}}
    New Hampshire Statehouse

{{gwi:320147}}
    Sheer Stripes

{{gwi:320148}}
    Abigail Adams (syn. 'The Gift x Sweet Chariot)

{{gwi:320149}}
    Tristan

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

Awesome roses! Thanks for posting them Paul!
    God blees!

JIM

• rosesnpots
    14 years ago

I never met Mike Lowe, but I know what a dear friend and champion he was to Paul and Ashdown Roses. He will be greatly missed by those who knew him and knew of him through his roses.

Liz

• sandy808
    14 years ago

I am so sad to hear this. My condolences to all of his friends and family. I didn't know Mike personally, but I certainly knew OF him. What a loss.

Sandy

• canadian_rose
    14 years ago

Those roses are remarkable! I especially like Nozomi's child. I will definitely look for his roses and plant one in his memory.

To be able to hybridize takes patience, and I'm sure he raised his family and loved his wife/children/granchildren with that patience and kindness. He sounds like he was a good man.

Carol

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

What a treasurehouse of beauty, Paul-I will always! remember your tribute of roses and it's now in my clippings. I love every one of those blossoms; they are unforgettably magnificent. Absolutely luminous and gorgeous beyond words. Irene's Delight and Grandma Lowe's evoke beauty and memories for me; and Nozomi's Child, Tristan, Abigail Adams, Autumn Sunset, and Fairfield all bring a sense of magical mystique. Thank you Mike Lowe for bringing such immeasureable beauty to our rose world....

• celeste/NH
    14 years ago

Even though we both grow roses here in N.H., I did not have the pleasure of meeting Mike, but did wish to someday.
    I wanted to share my photos of the lovely 'Rosenstadt Zweibrucken', a Kordes rose, which I obtained from Ashdown last year....because it was recommended by Mike. He had it in his own garden and because of his claims of its winter-hardiness I chose it for my garden. Here it is in this, its second year. This is such a colorful, cheerful rose and it indeed did very well over the winter. It is a blooming machine and very healthy too.
    Thanks, Mike! I will think of you every time I enjoy this wonderful rose.

Celeste

{{gwi:320150}}

{{gwi:320151}}

• reemcook
    14 years ago

Being new to rose gardening, I do not know about Mike Lowe. My heart goes out to his family and friends. Please accept my condolences for your loss.