Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roses that take one look at you and commit suicide

Posted by Nippstress 5-Nebraska (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 18:31

We've posted before about roses that you can't seem to grow but everyone else around you grows without problem. How about the extreme case of this? I have a handful of roses that so viciously dislike my yard, my climate, my gardening habits, or me that there's almost no point in planting them, as there's nothing I can do to even keep them alive long enough to see if they're a good rose.

Usually in my climate, the vast majority of roses that die do so because of winter kill, either not being robust enough going into the winter or not having hardy enough root systems to survive frozen ground. We don't usually have the kind of heat Arizona gets that would cook a rose to death in the summers, as long as they get enough water (I always plant with water crystals to aid in surviving my irregular watering habits), so if a rose doesn't survive the first summer it's either a poor location, poor care after planting, or some bizarre and entirely personal reaction to my gardening attire or b.o. or something. If I've tried three or four times in different locations, I'm inclined to the latter explanation.

The most extreme example of that this year was my bare root planting of Bull's Eye and Eyeconic Pink Lemonade. I planted plenty of relatively late bareroots from Edmund's clearance sale, and I'm an experienced rose gardener, so it wasn't a general thing about the source or my bone-headedness. My word, I never saw a rose less inclined to give my yard a chance than those two - in two different prime locations and plenty of loving care, they just shriveled. Not even fainting on a couch quivering for a while with a camellia in their hands - nope, just slit their respective throats and gave up the ghost. It makes me quite reluctant to try Hulthemias again in my climate, though Kim and Jeri make them sound so desperately appealing, and I would think my climate was dry enough for them.

Others that have repeatedly and viciously refused to survive long enough to see my winters:

Jam and Jerusalem - bareroot from three different places and never survived more than 4 weeks - ranks just behind the Hulthemias for viciousness and speed of suicide

LeeAnn Rimes, also bareroot from three places and maybe a month and a half survival ("Help, I've killed LeeAnn Rimes...")

French Lace - four times, two own root and two grafted, and just barely seen leaves, never blooms, before dying

Elle - three times grafted, once own root, and only one of the grafted survived long enough to die in my winter

Fragrant Cloud - so why did I try yet again for the fourth time this year? Still hoping to smell the supposed fragrance

Fragrant Plum - ditto on the supposed fragrance (just 3 times so far), for me this one epitomizes the wimpy lavender, and it's not even really lavender

How about you? Which roses are you scared to even touch in the garden center for fear the whole bunch dies on contact?

Cynthia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roses that take one look at you and commit suicide

That's rough. Have you tried in big pots like annuals? I would think you could get a few blooms anyway. I can usually resolve soil issues that way.

I am sorry you could not get Fragrant Cloud to grow. I hope you get to smell this rose one day in a garden somewhere. I planted one for a neighbor and he treats it like the king of his yard. The color doesn't compete with any other rose because it's the only rose in a sea of junipers. The color shines like a stoplight from across the street.

When are the roses failing? In the heat of summer or before that?

o

Church Mouse. The mini version of Grey Pearl. It was never available from anyone but Sequoia and only as own root. No matter how good the plant appeared when I selected it at the nursery, it slit its wrists within weeks of arriving in my garden. Potted, in a raised planter, in the ground; no matter what the season nor whether they were shaded or in full sun, nothing changed how fragile they were. After the fourth (IIRC) plant, I figured I had wasted enough money on it and filled the space with roses HAPPY to be with me. Kim

o

We all fail miserably with certain roses (or WHOLE CLASSES of roses). What I hope you will tell us, Nippstress, are success stories! What roses do you love because they perform so well for you in your zone 5 environment?

o

Just Joey just hates me.....
And I have said this before....I have killed so many Pope John Paul's , I am on the Interpol watch list.

o

How long a list would you like? None of them died suddenly, except one or two that were done in by gophers. The rest just looked a little more peaked and desperate every day in what they considered my hell hole of a garden, refused to grow or bloom, their branches turned black, their leaves crisped and shattered, until I finally gave them the coupe de grace and put them and me out of our misery.

Heideroeslein
Rival de Paestum
Second Street Tea
Route 66
Ebb Tide
Reve d'Or
Classic Woman (mildewed to death)
Basey's Purple
News (died almost immediately)
Golden Horizon
Ley's Perpetual
Mme. Jules Gravereaux etc. etc.....

Ingrid

o

Hee hee - I like this thread. I'm not alone. :)

- Fragrant Cloud died within a week or so of being planted in a large pot. Funny that it died for both of us.
- Bluegirl (2nd year) is shriveling down to nothing.

Now I have 50 roses in large pots that I've overwintered easily for 5 years. So it's not the pot or me not knowing what I'm doing. :)

Carol

o

Lavender Crystal - love this one but just cant get it to survive. Have watched several go into decline and die trying to provide them with the best of care. Same with Summer Song, the Austin. I called the Austin office and they said it doesnt grow well in the US, so I didnt feel too bad not succeeding with it.
Judith

o

Austin admits Summer Song isn't good in the US, yet they sell it here? And, at THOSE prices? Does that strike anyone else as being more than a little disreputable? Kim

o

'Just Joey', obviously a California girl. One died over winter, the other grew backwards for a couple of years until I gave up.

'Parole' aka Buxom Beauty. A reputable northern nursery sent me a puny bare-root (discounted) which died, then a replacement puny bare-root, which also died. I am wondering whether they had a hard time growing it to normal size. These are the only bare-roots I can recall that failed completely after being planted at an appropriate time.

o

This is a GREAT thread for the new roser like me. Now I know that even the big guys sometimes have problems..

I have only 2, so far, , , that don't like my ministrations, First Prize and Oregold. But even these, within the last 6 weeks are starting to join the living.

And Susan, maybe PJP is also a California Girl. (Will I be struck down by lightning?) It is only a couple of months old (container rose from Regan's) and has been putting out more blooms than maybe 2 or 3 of the others combined.

andrea

o

It's obvious you people don't know the proper way to shop for a winning rose. Let me give you the example of my thriving, blooming Elle, about 6-7 years old.

Pick a disgustingly hot day (at least in the high 90s--and after weeks of temps in the 100s), go to Wal-marts parking lot--you know, the oven-baked concrete nursery, kinda of Wal-Mart's equivalent of boot hill--the place where roses are abandoned and slowly roasting to death in the un-ending heat wave and human neglect. Make sure those roses have been out in that death valley of a parking lot at least for a month.

Now look around carefully and find the one rose, amidst all the drooping, dying roses, that sits there erect and green and blooming like crazy and looking fresh and beautiful enough to go to the prom.

That was Elle. I swooped her up in a minute--any rose that could survive that much abuse and look so yummy--well, that rose wins the Darwinian Survivor's Award. Rush home with it, murmuring sweet nothings in its petals, give it a couple days of shade and water to adjust to its new rose-friendly environment, and then plant it in good soil and sun. You got a winner there that 7 years later is still green and blooming and spreading beauty all around along with a good fragrance.

That's my Elle!

: )

Kate

o

• Posted by jim1961 5/6 Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 12:37

he he dublinbay... :) That works....lol

o

I like Elle too!! The fragrance is so yummy - like candy. Mine is in its 2nd year. So next year it should be even better!
cAROL

o

A rose that I have coveted since first laying eyes on it in a BBC magazine: Lady Emma Hamilton. It hates me. Two plants down.

Angel Face isn't a happy camper here either.

Tineke wasn't good here, but thrived in someone else's yard who gave even less care to their plants that I do. Boo!

o

Ok....so now I want Elle.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 19:18

I've had plenty of roses that hated me, lol! The one that comes instantly to mind was Frankly Scarlet. I bought it potted from a local nursery and it was gorgeous when I brought it home and planted it. A huge green bush covered in beautiful bright red blooms. That didn't last the week. It immediately wilted, dropped all it's leaves and sat bare naked the rest of the summer. It didn't die and heaven only knows how it made through the first winter but it did. However, it was never that big green bush covered in roses again. So sad :(.

o

When roses fail to thrive, are we doing the wrong thing in regards to growing it or did we just select the wrong roses?

This question arises because I am growing roses from various classes and I had to comprise a list in regards to what to do with what; some like the soil more acidic, some like a lot of water, morning sun, a lot of food... yada yada yada.....One thing I have already discovered is that a one size fits all approach will not work for my new roses.

What do you guys think; was it a cultivation issue or just something in the genetics of that rose was "all wrong" for your garden.

Lynn

o

I am fairly new to roses as of the spring of 2011, and I jumped in feet first and have been learning as I go. My most successful roses have been Playboy, Teeny Bopper, Gentle Hermione (she is awesome) and Jude the Obscure. New this year is Cinco de Mayo, I am blown away with her, and Ebb Tide, which I am not as impressed with as I anticipated an amazing scent and in my opinion it is just meh.

The roses I am fighting to keep alive are Bishop's Castle and Lady Emma Hamilton. First, I am not impressed with the flowers on Bishop's Castle, they are quite small, even with regular feeding, and the canes are spindly and droopy. The same with the canes of Lady Emma Hamilton, very weepy and they are both so fragile and delicate. I love the flowers on Lady Emma, but I am considering sending the both of them to the compost pile and replacing them with something more robust and fragrant.

I am having a terrible black spot summer, all the roses leaf out and bloom enthusiastically, and then the black spot shows up and I snip off the affected leaves until the plants are almost bare, but then they have (mostly) rebounded and re-foliated, bloomed enthusiastically, and then the black spot shows up again. It's very disappointing and as much as I want to be organic I am beginning to think I may need to begin spraying them.

I have been reading the forums for a while now, I have learned a lot on the different rose forums. I love this site!

o

Without living with each one, in each climate, and thoroughly investigating each incident, there would be no way to figure out a decent answer to your question, Lynn. For Church Mouse, I KNOW what was wrong. As long as that weak, inbred Angel Farce baby is grown under glass or plastic, in rich soil and kept watered heavily, it will grow and provide its oddly pretty flowers. But, take it outside and it's a gonner. For Lady Emma Hamilton, remember the current thread where the poster stated the Austin Nursery admitted to her that rose doesn't grow well in the US? I'd blame those failures on the rose (and the supplier) without wasting time investigating any more about it. In fact, I'd investigate those who CAN grow it well. They must either be doing something special for it or have particularly suited conditions for it.

For most of the others, you'd have to know whether they were budded or own root. If budded, on what stocks. When something collapses immediately, you have to suspect either the root ball broke up or was severely disturbed (perhaps gopher or really severe mole activity?); the plant was grown in more protected conditions before being set out where it was much more severe; it was too heavily fertilized or fertilized dry; water didn't make it into the soil ball well or even the planting hole didn't drain properly, resulting in over watering. Did the family Great Dane decide he liked it as his surrogate fire hydrant? Was it too immature, nor sufficiently well rooted to be set loose in severe conditions? Otherwise, there is no reason for something in seemingly vigorous, healthy, perfect condition to simply collapse in very short order. Kim

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 20:12

Well, it all just goes to show you that every rose is going to perform differently in different conditions. Cultural practices, soil, amendments, fertilizing, watering, maintenanace (deadheading), as well as location, climate, and a whole lot of other factors can make or break a rose.

I too lost a CHURCH MOUSE way back when I first started growing roses... 1990-something. Tried to replace it, but Sequoia Nursery decided to quit trying because it was too difficult to root. Bummer. I had a friend at the time who also bought one, and hers was thriving. I wonder if she still has it? Haven't talked to her in 15yrs or more.

DOUBLE DELIGHT took me something like 5 tries before I finally found one that wouldn't die on me. Now it's in a crappy bed outside by the corner where achillea and Bermudagrass have engulfed the bed. One of these days I will get out and clean it up... Haven't seen DD bloom this yr. Heck, maybe it died again. Who knows??

I know there've been others that died quickly, and after some tries I gave up. Can't remember what ones tho. Altho, I guess I could say PATCHWORK maybe. The one plant I "thought" was it, is looking like something more like CHARISMA. But I'm pretty sure I gave that one away, so who knows who that one is! Tried last yr and this yr; both died. This yr's never even broke dormancy. Geez, that one and the FIRST PRIZE, REDGOLD and something else my husband so nicely bought me for Xmas. But they were cheapie bagged bareroots from HD. Altho I have to admit, I've rarely ever lost any of those before. Been a weird yr.

And I am so sad to hear that SUMMER SONG is such a downer for everyone else. I got mine in 2009 I thought from Hortico.... but now I'm seeing in my files, I supposedly got it from Palatine. I think that's wrong tho. Anyway... I just love mine. It has some rather smallish blooms, but it gets better every yr. It got over 7ft this yr. Repeat is great. And even in my 100+ temps. Maybe it's because it's in a slightly shaded area. I dunno. I just know I love it and and sorry to hear that it's supposedly so bad here in the US.

The only other rose I can think of that hasn't done well or dies on me is CHICAGO PEACE. I've tried it several times since we moved to our current home 12yrs ago. It did great at our old location but not here.

o

So far....

Only one rose up and died and totally vanished. Thought I think it probably was just a dead stick and I probably tossed it not knowing it was a rose. Sterling Silver.

One rose lost its roots to a gopher, so that does not really count.

But I still have 2 roses that are technically alive, St Patrick and Queen Elizabeth, but both should be dead.

And all of those pitiful roses were...Cheap Body Bags.

o

Sally Holmes. I can grow any hybrid musk except Sally and I can grow Sally in anybody else's yard except mine. I've tried multiple places in three gardens in three states. The next time I try, I'm planting her in my neighbor's yard. She will probably do just fine on the the other side of the fence.

o

Some roses that I got as wonderful plants back when and bought again as body bags grew so weakly the second time around that if I hadn't grown them the first time, I would have thought they were no good. It took me 4 tries to get a good copy of Heritage and the latest one is strong and fragrant while the previous 3 were runts that would not bloom.

I try to get the best quality plants now and if a band just pokes along forever, I start to think about ordering a better, stronger copy. I'd like to try some of my slow growers on Fort sometime to see the difference it might make.

o

Oh, the responses on this thread make me feel so much better! When our GW rose experts all report failing miserably repeated times on various roses, I get to sigh and suspect the problem wasn't me (even if it was). Kittymoonbeam, you're sweet to sympathize and suggest planting in pots to avoid the soil difficulties. Actually our soil starts out as nice loamy clay and has been amended with organics for 7 years or so, so that's not the source of my problems. Besides, if a hundred other roses I plant in the same season do fine and a particular cultivar croaks in different locations and from different sources, there's something about that rose in my yard that isn't happy.

And I had to smile - the only thing that would make a rose croak faster in my yard is to keep it in a pot! In that case a potted rose dying wouldn't be suicide, but 1st degree rose murder on my part. Others can do this magnificently, but I'm so pathetic with pots, I routinely kill philodendrons and spider plants and snake plants inside that are supposed to be idiot proof. This summer I had some mystery roses from Rogue Valley that I was faithfully keeping in pots until they bloomed so I could figure out what they were to plant them, and they stuck out their lower lips and sulked horribly for 3 months, not growing an inch. Finally I took pity on them last week and put them in the ground. Sure enough, two of the remaining mystery roses now have buds as if to say, "Finally, that idiot gardener got her act together"!!

There seems to be some commonality among the roses that commit suicide among roses, many of whom are notorious wimps. Church Mouse, Grey Pearl, and Sterling Silver are among the grey tinted wimps that rarely thrive anywhere as far as I've heard. There are lucky few that can keep vigorous bushes of Angel Face and Just Joey alive but I'm not among them, and it sounds like I have company. Similarly, I hear reports all over HMF and GW that roses like Redgold and Lady Emma Hamilton and Summer Song are rather finicky, and let you know when they're not happy quite distinctly - none of them have survived for me either.

Ingrid, I'm relieved that you also had trouble with Route 66 and Ebb Tide, since those scraped together enough cane to survive for a summer (or two for Ebb Tide) but were never robust. Particularly for Route 66 I knew it was a healthy cultivar (from Burlington) so I felt bad when I did it in. Andrea, I've also killed First Prize and Redgold a few times, so it's not just you. Like Beth, I'm on my third try at Double Delight and so far I have a second year plant that's more than three inches tall, so maybe it's a "robust" cultivar.

Kippy & Kate, you clearly have the answer to pick a survivor from among the dregs of rose debris, and I'm trying that for some of my notable failures. My latest Fragrant Cloud is from Shopko, even though potted grafted roses are usually the first to go for me - gotta think like a contrarian here. Similarly, my latest tries at Mr. Lincoln, Memorial Day, and Heirloom are all drugstore or hardware store cheap potted versions instead of lovingly cared for bands or bareroots, and being the backwards growers these always are for me, I'm banking on them growing backward and therefore thriving from their rather pitiful dried up state at purchase.

Lynn, as for what contributes to the roses dying, all I can say is that I keep records of every rose that has died in my yard under the category of why I think it died, ranging from my mistakes (oops, stepped on it one too many times) to "poor location" to "weak plant to start with" to the very long "small band that failed to overwinter". That way I can notice if the same rose dies for the same reasons, and figure out patterns of whether it's really worth trying that rose again, and how I can change some factors about the planting to give it a better chance next time. Like Kim says, there are so many factors to consider that we have to rule out all the environmental ones before we can really conclude it's a chronically weak puppy of a rose, like Grey Pearl and Tom Brown.

Windeaux - thanks for the encouragement to post on my successes too! I think there's still a thread of mine circulating to that effect of HT/floris that are cane hardy for me in zone 5. That's a definite success story, and I'll hunt down and resurrect one from a while back about Best Shrub roses that are some of my candidates for ultimate rose success stories. I like that everyone else chimes in with their successes too, so we can start to see patterns of the good-uns as well as the wimpazoids.

Still, thanks again for making me feel better. I think these kinds of threads are useful too, to help us decide if that gorgeous flower is worth the grief that everyone experiences with that particular cultivar.

Cynthia

o

For what it is worth, I don't touch roses in the garden centers. I mail order mine because it's pretty much the only way to get them own root and I wouldn't have them any other way.

o

And I've only lost one here ever. And that was because I had to be away in the summer for longer than it could bear to be without attention. (It was a tiny band - more so than the usually small band plants and I accepted its demise quite easily).

o

Angel Face, Double Delight, Peace, Just Joey--probably because I pick them up at big garden centers & they are grafted on I don't know what, but they decline pretty quickly.

I've had better luck planting the bud union a few inches deep so that grafted plants form own roots. Grafted Hot Cocoa, Iceberg & Brilliant Pink Iceberg that I replanted deeper improved dramatically.

Finally, I can't keep a Rosa Primula & I want it so bad *wahhhh*. The only supplier that has it regularly is Pickerings & it's grafted & I have had lousy soil & climates to make multiflora happy. I'm getting on Marissa's (very long) waiting list for an own-root. She says it's a bear to root. And I'll order from Picks again & plant the dang thing deep in bought potting soil.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 17:25

I have had maybe one rose die on me, the beautiful 'Alister Stella Grey', though I suspect the soil was contaminated--I think the neighbor used to dump his used motor oil in that area, which would kill off anything. Those that were gopher-eaten don't count.

I've had a few malingerers--are those not worse? You try and try and nurture and nurture, and you give all the TLC you can, and the rose just never quite gets going. At least when they quickly drop (droop?) dead, you have a new space open up and you can try something new.

o

Too true!

o

I have never had a rose die...knock on wood, well except for a Golden Celebration that was not receiving any water one summer, so it was not its fault. Some go dormant and do strange things in July, but by late August, early September they bounce back.

I have grown roses that were clearly unhappy. Abraham Darby could not take the heat, and Angel Face never looked like Angel Face once it was planted in my garden.

Right now, I have an Iceberg in a pot, and if I didn't realize that I am horrible at growing roses in pots, and have grown very healthy Icebergs, it would be a goner. Instead, it s going in the ground sometime during October.

Lynn

o

Well, Lynn and sandandsun, congratulations on never losing more than one rose, which obviously means you need to plant more roses (smile). Sooner or later, you'll find a perfectly finicky one that you just HAVE to have (like Bluegirl and rosa primula).

That is SO true, hoovb, about the malingers that won't die but won't thrive either. I have a category on my rose death record list of "gradual fade in 2-3 years but never robust", and it's all too long. The record surviving malinger is a 6 year old Valentine that has never been above 6 inches tall, but stalwartly puts out one or two blooms a year on wimpy limpy little canes. It's exactly like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree, so I admit to a grudging fondness for the thing. What I wish is that if they're not going to survive my winters they will just go ahead and croak, and not linger with a few leaves all spring and wimp out later in the summer. I just finished culling the final list of winter kill roses this week and it's considerably longer than it was in even late spring. It's frustrating when you put off buying a stronger cultivar of a given rose because the one you have is sort of hanging onto life, but only just.

Cynthia

o

In my terrible heat, young roses often die during the summer. I can rarely get a rose planted after January to live through the summer, except for some grafted hybrid teas, which are not my preference.

I've rarely been able to keep a body bag rose alive during the summer, even though I seem to succumb to buying a couple of these each winter.

Particularly, the following have not survived for me:

Julia Child: I just cannot keep it alive during the summer
Angel Face: all have died
Some Austin roses such as The Pilgrim, Golden Celebration
Some polyanthas dont' survive, can't remember the particulars but I've noted my difficulty with this class.
Some Chinas don't survive while others do fine.

The big thing for me is the planting time, I think. Just like a very cold climate, only in reverse.

o

"Sooner or later, you'll find a perfectly finicky one that you just HAVE to have..."

Oh no! I will not!

To paraphrase my statement in the thread linked below, I have given up finicky, weak, and/or disease prone roses. I will not return to them. That divorce is also final.

Thank you for congratulating me on my loss, lol.

But I'm by no means bragging. As I tell the nice neighbors: "the plants do all the work." Well, most of it actually.

What DO I do?
I give them a pampered potted start up to 4 months; I kill beetles, fire ants, and aphids for them, and I replace the mulch when it decomposes - I've always found and it was true here too that after the second year of weeding, mulched beds are easily and quickly weeded, and require very little weeding. I prune for shape, deadhead, distribute compost (these three only if time permits and motivation occurs), and I top dress with composted manure in winter. Lastly, I make sure they get regular water (twice a week) if rain is inadequate - year round because I live in a subtropical zone.

Most of my gardening chores don't involve the roses. And since this is a rose forum, we will all be spared from any possible moaning I could do on the topic of the requirements of the supporting cast of characters.

Here is a link that might be useful: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

This post was edited by sandandsun on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 19:39

o

As the summer winds down, I'm beginning to think my whole garden is getting ready to commit suicide! No sun the first half of the summer, every leaf disease possible as a result, and now that summer is almost over, temps have soared back up to their usual 93 degrees or higher--with the sun boiling directly down on those poor stressed out plants that have either lost their leaves or are so spotted with various fungal diseases that they'll probably lose all their leaves in the next couple weeks!

It really is discouraging!

Kate

o

Ah, these last few threads have reminded me of more reasons for rose suicide that don't exactly have to do with me (phew!) Yes Jasper, planting time and conditions makes a huge difference for survival, and I keep records of those tricky late summer plantings (for cold zones) or hot weather plantings (for hot zones), so I know not to blame the rose and try again if it croaks.

Sandandsun is of course right that we don't really HAVE to keep wanting those roses that don't survive for us, and we'll put in a lot less work if we pick roses that actually suit our zone and yard and conditions. I figure I'm not a gambler or risk taker in other aspects of my life (never bought a lottery ticket even), so I'm OK about gambling on roses that probably won't like me much. I figure as long as I keep buying from our small independent rose companies , I'm doing my part to keep them in business by replacing some roses three and four times. Besides, I WAAAANT Angel Face...

Kate, I know what you mean about the garden being totally confused this year and showing it by sulking. At least up here north of you, we had such a lovely cool July that the roses started gearing up for their fall flush thinking this was the beginning of the end. Now that we have this relatively normal but consistently high and dry temperature swing for most of mid-to-late August (102 expected today and "high humidity" of 41%), those lovely buds are drying up or blowing as the roses pack up and move outta Dodge. That is, presuming Dodge is even worse than here - don't know what part of KS you're in. Hang in there - cooler temps (and hopefully the rain that comes with them) can't be too far off.

Cynthia

o

Now y'all can go ahead and buy all those good-for-nothings you want to buy, but I figure I'm still doing my part by mail ordering them those that wants to play nice. I tell you I've done went and had 'nuf of them ornery types. And when they offed themselves, I tell ya, I h'ain't never missed 'em one bit. Good riddence, I says.

If'n when y'all figure out how high oneriness is on your list, please post and share it with all the rest of us on the thread linked below:

Here is a link that might be useful: So What do you Look for in Roses?

o

I fervently believed it was simply not possible to kill a rose in the UK so I was horrified to find Paul's Scarlet Climber (practically a weed) growing backwards and finally vanishing, leaving a smidgeon of dried stick. Less horrified (or just getting immunity) by the sad (but rapid) demise of Hot Chocolate. Finally, although Summer Song is not actually dead, it may as well be (and no doubt will be in a season or 2) as it is a 2 cane nuisance with a few puny blooms right at the very ends of long thorny whips. Oh yeah, the Renaissance roses - unfortunately immortal....but horrible - will deliver the coup de grace when I feel particularly peed off with Mr.Campanula or any of the ingrates (offspring) and I have a suitable weapon to hand..

o

My iceberg is half way there and the knockout is almost there! I am almost done with killing the unkillables! What a waste of Florida sunshine.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here