Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

Crimson Glory in Full Calif Sun?

andreark
10 years ago

I need a rose for a beautiful Planter that I would like to place on my deck. It would get full calif sun for over 6 hours. Would Crimson Glory put up with this?

andrea

Comments (5)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I'm sorry Andrea, I don't remember where in California you live. What kind of planter is it? Crimson Glory needs arid heat to remain black spot and mildew free, but the flowers are sufficiently deeply colored they can fry pretty easily. Hopefully, the planter is insulated (like wood, fiberglass, plastic, foam, concrete, etc.) to keep the root/soil ball cooler. And, hopefully, it can be kept sufficiently away from any walls or other heat reflecting surfaces. It's a gorgeous rose when it's happy, but really dark, particularly intensely scented dark, blooms crisp pretty easily, especially in SoCal conditions. Kim

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Kim is right andrea - it depends on what part of CA you live in. I am 6 blocks from SF Bay, so not the really hot dry area such as the one where Kim lives. I have Cl Crimson Glory which gets at least 6 hours of sun, and it can be quite hot here occasionally, and is in the 90s frequently. Mine is not in a pot, but is in a flower bed next to a patio, so that makes a difference too. It does not burn or crisp at all, and it is so fragrant - I love it. Here is a pic.

If you try this in a planter, I think the planter would have to be very large, and also take Kim's advice about it being insulated.

Jackie

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Jackie! I wish it could be that here! Kim

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    10 years ago

I don't have Crimson Glory, but here in Livermore I site the dark reds so that they are in shade from about 2 - 3 p.m. on and, fortunately, I have such spots. That includes Francis Dubreuil (Barcelona), Oklahoma, Mirandy, Purple Buttons, etc. Above 100 degrees, they are going to fry anyway, but this strategy at least gets them through the low to mid 90s in decent condition.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I certainly wish these website folks were as diligent as they are where I work. The site crashes or otherwise 'acts up' too often.

I have just replaced my dead mouse. Thank you all for your input.

I will have to think of another rose for that location.
    I wonder if any of the miniatures can take the heat or sun a little better.

andrea

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH