Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertcliff

EuroDesert Roses Closing

desertcliff
13 years ago

It saddens me greatly to share with you the following announcement that EuroDesert Roses is closing. I want to take this opportunity to express my sincere thanks to our many friends on GardenWeb who have supported us and I wish you happiness and success in all of your future endeavors.

Cliff Orent

EuroDesert Roses has been your source for rare and unusual

roses from around the world as well as the popular favorites.

www.EuroDesertRoses.com

To everything there is a season, turn, turn, turn

And a time for every purpose under heaven

A time to be born, a time to die

A time to plant, a time to reap

A time to kill, a time to heal

A time to laugh, a time to weep

A time to build up, a time to break down

A time to dance, a time to mourn

A time to cast away stones

A time to gather stones together....

(from Pete Seeger's adaptation of the Bibical verse)

It's been an incredible adventure, building up as we have for the past ten years, but now the time has come to break down much of what we've built. Words are inadequate to express my deepest appreciation to my friends and colleagues across the country and around the world who have offered steadfast support and encouragement. And very special thanks to our loyal customers who time and again have taken leaps of faith, ordering roses with strange names, often with precious little information available about them.

Although we might not go down in history for winning an award for longevity, I'll settle for the intensity award. I'm very proud of what we've managed to accomplish together, having introduced or reintroduced well over 200 roses into commerce in this country. I firmly believe that many of these incredible roses will be around for future generations to enjoy, and that after all was the overriding goal we set out to achieve.

But unless blessed with extremely deep pockets, a rose nursery must ultimately pay its way if it is to survive. And despite our best efforts, the challenges we faced proved to be too great, at least at this point in time.

Over the coming weeks we will provide details concerning the ongoing availability of our remaining nursery plants and the new varieties coming available for the fall. We will also provide information concerning the disposition of the roses in our garden.

Meanwhile, we have added a few new varieties to our website, and everything on the site is available for immediate shipping. We will continue to accept and ship orders until we have concluded an agreement with others to take our remaining inventory of nursery plants. We will not have another sale before closing and we regret that we are not able to hold new orders for later shipping.

Again, to all of you who have supported us over the past years, my profound thanks and every good wish for success, happiness and contentment in the future. And please continue to support your remaining independent rose nurseries; they need you now more than ever before.

Sincerely,

Cliff Orent

EuroDesert Roses

Comments (12)

• trishaw
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ah Cliff, you have no idea how this saddens me. You have always been in my corner my friend, and I want you to know that I am in yours! I wish you nothing but the best in your future.

Trish of Ashdown

• petaloid
    13 years ago

I don't want this to be true.

Even so, I just know that things will fall into place for you somehow, and that your future will be full of sunshine (and roses).

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

This is sad news. We cannot spare any good nurseries, especially those that offer unique selections.

The best of luck to you from this point on!

Paula

• maevesgarden
    13 years ago

I'm so very sorry to hear this. I just found you in mid-June when you had your sale, and was so glad I did. My bands are thriving and I already have a wish list in place.

On a less selfish note, it's obvious you put your heart and soul into your roses and such devotion WILL be rewarded - perhaps just not in the way you thought. Best wishes to you Cliff, and may your future be bright.

-Joan Maeve in Philadelphia

• hartwood
    13 years ago

I just got this announcement from Cliff in my email. This is so sad. I said this on another forum ... Roses have become a luxury (especially rare and unusual roses). This is not a time for luxuries because customers don't have the resources right now. Cliff has contributed so much to the world of roses in the US. We all owe him a serious debt.

I wonder which nursery will be the next to fall. Everyone is hurting, because no one is buying. Fortunately, my roses at my nursery don't have a creditors knocking on their doors. I'm not selling much, but my expenses are low and I'll keep the doors open for now.

Thank you, Cliff, for what you've done for roses ... and for the roses in my garden. I wish you the very, very best.

Connie

• dove_song
    13 years ago

Dear, Cliff, I admire the way you've stayed positive in the face of this very trying season in your life. Your attitude is what makes you the great man that you are. Wishing you all the best now, and always. :-)

Debbie

• mendocino_rose
    13 years ago

Cliff, This is so sad. I really respect and admire you for all you have done. My very best wishes go out to you for all future endeavours. Being who you are there will be future endeavours. These are tough times for so many people. It's a shame that it is for you also.

• rosesnpots
    13 years ago

Cliff

I just read your email and then saw the post here. I am sad to hear the news. I will always cherish the visit to your nursery last spring as well as the roses I have purchased and received from you. Thank you for bringing so many great roses into this country for us to enjoy.

R/
    Liz

• lagomorphmom
    13 years ago

Cliff, I too, am deeply saddened. I've sent you an email, if you need an extra pair of hands in the coming months, you only need to let me know.

God bless,
    Kerin

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

I am sorry and very sad to see this. I wish the best for you and whatever you wind up doing. This should not be happening to anyone.

• jeannie2009
    13 years ago

Thank you for the recent order of beautiful bands. They are thriving. I promise to give them extra care as a tribute to the hard work you have done to preserve the rare rose offerings in this country.
    Good luck in all you do and may peace be with you.
    Jeannie

• lookin4you2xist
    13 years ago

Cliff,

Terrible news! You have a collection that I could not even fathom having. I am like Hartwood, lucky enough not to have creditors knocking on my door. But,I have not went public with my collection from Nor East either.

A full year later, I am still building my stock of 225 or so Ralph Moore minis. Plus, with the kindness of others, I have added other Ralph Moore roses to my collection.

Even when the economy takes back off, I do not know if I could handle the heartache and backbreaking work. YOU really do have a treasure of roses.

I have been in NE Pennsylvania foraging old cemeteries for the better part of the month, but , I will be glad to be back home this weekend. My thoughts are with you, as are my sincere condolences!

Andrew Grover
    St.Pete Fl