Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickjoseph

Mosiac virus?

Hi, I've had this (sorry for the lousy pictures) what appears to be mosaic virus on about 3 rose bushes that are anywhere from about 15 years old to over 20 years old. All these bushes are very prolific. Lots of roses every year. This year with the hard winter, cooler, rainy summer hasn't been real kind to my bushes. All of them have lots of buds, but not warm enough to get them opening in a faster basis. New Love Song is a disappointment to me (3 weeks of not one sign of a bud). Anyway, I've dealt with this what appears to be mosaic for 15-22 years on these bushes (just seems to be maybe a little more so this Summer). Mosiac?? Thanks!

Comments (13)

• nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another pic. I really need to invest in a Smart phone instead of trying to take a pic on the computer camera.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I doubt this is virus. You know the pictures aren't clear, but I haven't seen virus look like that.

Turn the leaves over, and see if there are bright orange spots of rust on the underside.

If you have a flatbed scanner, you can scan the leaves, top and underside, to give us a good image.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

From those images it does look like rust instead of RMV. Your flowering issue is most likely the lack of heat. I've seen Love Song locally at a great nursery down the Boulevard and it is spectacular. Loaded with flowers in the high heat and healthy as it can be with no spray. Of course the climates are totally different, but Love Song definitely appears to enjoy the heat. Kim

Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, we don't have a scanner. These are basically lots of yellow streaks or dots on the leaves. NO orange or rust color on the any part of the leaves. I know it's not blackspot because we get that too, but more so in Fall.

• steve_gw
    9 years ago

Looks to be like inch worm damage, check the undersides of the leaves for small green worms that skeletonize the foliage from the undersides of the leaves.. Definately not mosaic...

Steve....

Original Author
    9 years ago

The leaves are not skeletonized at all, and no sign of any worms or bugs. I always thought (from pictures) that the mosaic virus had streaks of yellow through the leaves, no?

• henry_kuska
    9 years ago

There are now around 20 or so known viruses that infect roses. Perhaps one of the Universities that are looking for new rose viruses would be interested in looking at a few leaves.

In Wisconsin possibly Professor David Zlesak would be able to tell you if they are of interest and where to send them.

http://www.uwrf.edu/FacultyStaff/1840024.cfm

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

Original Author
    9 years ago

jerijen, I did turn some leaves over & do see some reddish-orangeish spots. Rust? Arghhhhh

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Nick, are you growing this inside or did you just bring it inside for the photo?

Original Author
    9 years ago

seil, all my bushes are outside. I cut that off & brought it in so I could take a picture (albeit, a lousy picture) of it from my computer camera.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Nick -- if what you saw underneath looked like rust -- yea, they're likely RUST.

Let me just say -- I REALLY HATE RUST.

I can live with a rose that mildews some -- particularly when it's immature.

I can live with a rose that rusts on old foliage, whose time to go has come.

I cannot live with a rose that rusts on new leaves.

We do not spray. So, when a little rust turns up, particularly on older leaves, I remove those, and put them in the trash can. The plant grows new leaves, and everyone is happy. But when I encounter a rose that just rusts all the time -- that rose, I remove. There are so many roses that don't do that, why live with those that do?

(JERI)

Original Author
    9 years ago

I've lived with it on the two red rose bushes (maybe Lincoln?) that are about 15 years or older because they give such luscious, gorgeous, florist style red roses. Usually, I get tons of red roses despite this problem. That's why I'm not ready to dig them out if it is indeed rust or whatever it is. I think the Wisconsin winter was harder on all my bushes, although they all rallied back.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Well, sure. We all just have to decide what our own tolerance level is.

Shoot, I've pulled ALL the leaves off some blooms, and made bouquets using ferns for green. Worked for me. :-)