Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xyzdaylilydaddy

Hybrid Tea lateral stems gone rogue

xyzDaylilyDaddy
9 years ago

Let me preface this by saying, this is my first year growing roses so go gently on me. I planted 16 HTs and two Queen Elizabeths on either side of my front walkway. They are a grab bag of what I thought looked healthy for bare root roses I got at Aldi and Lowes.

One of them has decided he likes the space next to him and sent out 4-5 foot stems across the Queen Elizabeth.

Q: Should I cut him back or let him go?

I'm tempted to let him go, so that he can build up strength for the Winter, then cut him back Feb./March. Advice?

Comments (8)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Do you know which one it is? If not, what color is the bloom and what form?

• xyzDaylilyDaddy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry. At this point I have no idea what I'm dealing with. HT is all I know. I didn't pay too much attention when I planted them. It's not blooming right now, and I just don't remember.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

It's really difficult to say, if we don't know what the "rogue" rose is.

To complicate the issue, it is not at all uncommon for roses at such sources to be wildly mis-labeled.

And lest I be accused of snobbery, I've had odd things happen with roses from "good" sources.

I remember, for instance, a 'Marchesa Boccella' which -- instead of growing sturdily upright, grew as a lax groundcover, which wrapped itself around the ankles of unwary passers-by.

Jeri

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    9 years ago

My bet is that you have a CLIMBING rose, that was mis-labeled as a hybrid tea. I'd be surprised if it even blooms the color you thought you were getting. I doubt a HT sent out 5' canes its first year in the ground. Ah, the joys of gardening.

I'd recommend moving it next Spring, because you're not going to be able to control its ultimate size, and neither you, it, or its neighbors will be happy.

John

• michaelg
    9 years ago

If a cane grows 6' without setting a flower bud, it is not a hybrid tea. It could be a mislabeled climber or a rootstock takeover. The common rootstocks are climbers that bloom only in spring and do not give repeat bloom. If it is a mislabeled climber, the long canes will probably set flower buds at the end during the fall.

• xyzDaylilyDaddy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your quick responses!

I think I'll just give it a while and see what it does, and if it blooms again, maybe I can figure out what the name of the culprit. It's not life or death.

I'm really enjoying this experiment and the variety of personalities that are growing along the walkway.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

It could be any HT rose. They all grow differently. I have some that get 6 feet tall and only a foot wide like a column and others like to grow sideways instead of up. Veterans' Honor is always tall and narrow but my Hot Romance is never more than 2 feet tall but it can get 4 feet wide. Each variety has it's own growth habit and without knowing what varieties you have we can't say whether this growth you are experiencing is normal or not. If you want you can prune it back to shape but if it wants it may just grow right back!

• xyzDaylilyDaddy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the offender in action, A modest plant on the right with a cane shooting all the way across the plant on the left.

Yeah, it's hot and dry here. Pay no attention to the parched lawn.