Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Which roses do best in the heat?

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

My third flush has been kind of a mixed bag. When a bloom opens, I've had to catch it before the heat and sun get to it. I have had some pretty blooms, but they're not staying that way very long. From my observation, it does seem like Tiffany, Peace, Tropicana and a couple of others are holding up fairly well in the heat. When we have a period of decent summer weather, at some point we do pay for those unusually nice days with a heat wave, happens every time! For the most part I try to plant roses that are heat tolerant and I do know that every summer there will be a period when the roses don't look so great. The past few days the temps have been in the high 90's, probably hovering around 100 degrees at times.

Which varieties handle the heat and humidity the best? Any Class!

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 19:55

Comments (15)

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

My nacadoches and pink Don Juan are winners for me in the heat. The foliage has stayed healthy and both have bloomed non stop.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks boncrow for the suggestions. I've admired both of those roses.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brittie - Thanks so much for listing some of the better ones. You have several on that list I was wanting to try anyway, this will help with my decision making. BTW, I love your Grande Dame!

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

I love it too! Blooms her head off, smells great and is very vigorous. I haven't had big disease problems with that one. She'll come down with a little bs waaaayyy after everything else is already ravaged, and I don't recall her dropping a lot of leaves like some do. Her blooms do nod a bit, but I like that.

• bayourose
    9 years ago

Hi Sara-Ann, the roses that I have that are blooming right now are:

(in no particular order)
    Hot Cocoa
    Pope John Paul II
    Freckles
    Dream come true
    Valencia
    Mrs. B.R. Cant
    Monsieur Tillier
    Quietness
    Polonaise
    Frances Meilland
    Beverly
    Paradise
    Oklahoma
    Kardinal

kind of a mixed bunch, but the best ones are probably Pope John Paul (which never stops blooming and HUGE blooms!), and the buck roses Quietness, polonaise and freckles.

I love to see all your roses and wished my hybrid teas did as well as yours, but my heat and humidity just are too much for some. in the upcoming ordering season, I am trying to get the ones that are more heat/humidity tolerant.

thanks so much for all the sharing of your roses that you do!

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

I grow a few of the ones listed so far and have had good luck with them in the heat, too. Grande Dame, Pope John Paul II and Fragrant Cloud are all stellar here. The âÂÂEasy to Loveâ group of roses (Easy Going, Easy Does It, Livinâ Easy, Hot Cocoa, etc) all hold up well in the heat. A few others that come to mind are Voodoo, Love and Peace, Dolly Parton, Passionate Kisses, Bolero, Moondance and White Licorice.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

St. Patrick, Marilyn Monroe (friend has), PJPII, Randy Scott, Voluptuous, Europeana, Let Freedom Ring, Veteran's Honor, Sexy Rexy, Rose' (color fades), Grande Amore, Donna Martin, Mohana, Welcome Home, Black Magic (smaller flatter blooms), Tahitian Sunset, Whirlaway, Tineke, European Touch, Rainbow Niagra ( blooms fried 1st 2 yrs., 3rd yr. lasting much better & longer), Falling In Love (opens fast in heat, but open bloom lasts)

Scentimental fries in the heat...love the bloom in cooler temps;
    Beverly (1&2 yr. old plants) fries in the heat
    Snuffy nice bloom goes flat in heat
    Hot Princess fades and fewer petals
    Spellbound fades

Next week temps suppose to be in low 90's. I should be able to update this info. Rain is another factor that affects how well the plant tolerates the heat.

Thanks for starting this post!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much everyone, this is very helpful. There are some very good roses listed here. Pat, I think your Love and Peace is gorgeous, that's one I really want to try too. Bayourose -Thank you for your complimentary words. I need to do a lot with my roses to make them better, hopefully by next year I will be closer to having accomplished that. I do love to share and I love it when others share their roses too. Kentucky_rose, you are welcome.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Mine are a mix of older types and modern ones. The best in my hot and dry climate are:

Souvenir de la Malmaison
    La France
    Aunt Margy's Rose
    Mrs. B.R. Cant
    Mlle. de Sombreuil
    Bishop's Castle
    Sophy's Rose
    The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild
    Le Vesuve
    Young Lycidas
    Potter and Moore
    Belinda's Dream

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

You are going to get some improvement on heat resistance as the rose gets really established. How long have they been in the ground? And late afternoon shade is always a benefit.

That said, 'St. Patrick' which was developed by an amateur in inland Southern California (an oven in summer), and 'Belinda's Dream' seem to love heat here.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much Ingrid and hoovb. I think Mrs. B.R. Cant is beautiful and I am going to take my chances with a few tea roses. My SDLM just recently had a few blooms, but not during the terrible heat, I love that rose. St. Patrick a great rose, I had one several years ago. Most of my roses are in their first or second year, since I pretty much started over last year.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have noticed that my three year old Julia Child seems to handle the heat very well.

• buffington22
    9 years ago

Mrs. B.R Cant, Archduke Charles, Cramoisi Superior are old roses that bloom all summer. MBRC is the size of a VW, however! Easy Does It, Carefree Beauty, First Impression, all fairly new shrub roses are all excellent bloomers with impeccable foliage health. Look up 1st Impression. The blooms are as pretty in my garden as the pictures! Non stop in my garden since April!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Buffington - Thank you. First Impression is a beautiful rose. Appreciate all your suggestions.