Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdwoman_gw

Kordes Winter Sun, Fiji, Pink Enchantment

birdwoman
9 years ago

I am considering purchasing this rose named Winter Sun. Can anyone offer me an evaluation of this rose. Does it fade etc? I am trying to decide which rose to purchase - Winter Sun, Fiji or Pink enchantment. I am leaning towards Winter Sun because I could use another good yellow.
Thanks in advance for your time - Margie

Comments (9)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Have you looked on Help Me Find/roses? There is a description and lots of pictures of it on there.

Jackie

• michaelg
    9 years ago

I have Pink Enchantment ('Souvenir de Baden Baden') coming along. It has strong fragrance and apparently some blackspot resistance, long stems and upright habit. The flower form is not classic HT. Looks worthwhile so far.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I have both Winter Sun and Pink Enchantment, and they've both overwintered well for me and are healthy plants. I can't comment much on their blooms since I pinch off blooms in the first year (Pink Enchantment), and Winter Sun had to rebuild so much cane after the last winter that I haven't seen much bloom on that one as well. Still, it appears to be an easy-care rose and if you're looking for a yellow it would be a good option.

Cynthia

• birdwoman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you to Cynthia and michaelg for your imput. I ordered winter and am still considering pink enchantment. Thanks again for your time

• sandandsun
    9 years ago

More reports about 'Pink Enchantment' nee 'Souvenir de Baden Baden' are available in the thread linked below.

(I cannot report because first, I grow own root and own roots are not available in commerce as quickly as grafted plants, and second I try to adhere to a rule that I won't comment on them before their 3rd year ).

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Souvenir de Baden-Baden' / Pink Enchantment

• oldrosarian
    7 years ago

Winter Sun is very vigorous in my PNW garden, tends to grow upright to 6 feet. The flowers are a soft butter yellow and the shape is perfect. I have had a love hate relationship with Baden Baden. It throw up canes that you could pole vault with. It tends to grow upright to 6 feet and the thorns are the best. The flowers were a bit of a disappointment to me. They are a creamy white with a soft pink shading. Another rose whose flowers have a bad hair day look to them.

• barbarag_happy
    7 years ago

Always a bit of a gamble to try new roses that are relatively new.

If Pink Enchantment (Baden Baden) decides to get 6 feet I'll be okay with that, it's next to G Nabonnand which is not petite. My first season blooms were like oldrosarian's, more creme-colored; lots of petals and an intricate form. I'm not sure I love it but darn sure there's nothing I've even seen remotely like it. The bush is tall HT but the blooms have an antique form so I put her next to Mystic Beauty, which is a sport of a sport of Souv. de la Malmaison.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    7 years ago

Your Fiji looks great dianela7bal! I planted a one gallon own root Fiji last July but it hasn't grown much yet. It did come back from winter so hopefully it starts taking off this year...