Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockyrose_gw

Information on Biostimulant - Cytokinin

rockyrose
10 years ago

Living in the Northeast with record-breaking amounts of rain for June and July, along with extreme heat temperatures, has created havoc on my roses. I normally mix the Saltwater Farms brand of seaweed plant food and rose fertilizer as a foliar spray with my Bayer for blackspot. I am interested in trying their product of SeaCom-PGR....

"SeaCom-PGR (0-4-4)

SeaCom-PGR is a liquid plant growth regulator formulated to provide a high concentration (400 ppm) of the natural plant growth hormone, cytokinin. Cytokinin, combined with the diverse micronutrients in seaweed, leads to enhanced crop growth, increased yields, and healthier, more productive plants.

SeaCom is mixed at a rate of 1 tsp. per gallon of water"

In googling more information on Cytokinin, I came across a website from PAN Pesticides Database. I find it hard to believe Saltwater Farms would have a product that is not environmentally safe. Could someone please educate me ....perhaps Henry or michaelg... regarding the toxicity of Cytokinin?

Thanks!

Rose

Here is a link that might be useful: PAN Pesticides Database

Comments (5)

• AndrewBarocco
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Rose, You may or may not know this but cytokinins are a plant hormones that tell any plant, not just roses, to stimulate foliar growth instead of root growth. Plants use hormones just as animals use muscles, for every hormone there is another hormone that does thr opposite thing. In plants the opposite of cytokinins are auxins, which stimulate root growth instead of top foliar growth. This is the reason people use powdered IBA as rooting hormone, because IBA is an auxin. The reason I am telling you all of this is because if you apply cytokinins all over roses, your plants may grow more branches and leaves than the root system can support. After that mother nature will try and balance things out, for roses that means dieback. So any gain you achieve MAY only be temporary. I will say that as a rose breeder I usually spray only my rose hips with cytokinins as it does help fruit ripen a little bit faster, and rose hips are definitely fruit. I hope this helps out.
    -Andrew

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

Click on link below & open the link "Seaweed extracts" for some more reading on this topic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horticultural Myths link

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

PAN seems to be mainly saying that very little testing has been done.

Some seeweed probably is contaminated with heavy metals so I would not recommend using it in beds used to grow food. I used to buy Cytokinin sprays sold for apples. It was relatively inexpensive.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~kuska/sprayingthehip.htm

---------------------------------------------
    The Horticultural Myths link is not documented.

I suggest that rather than accept undocumented information that each reader do a Google Scholar search.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Here are some results of a quick one that I did.

"PROMOTION OF "BOTTOM BREAKS" IN ROSES BY SPRAY TREATMENT WITH A CYTOKININ-RICH SEAWEED CONCENTRATE
    Author: M. Raviv
    Abstract:
    Application of "Seamac 600", a cytokinin-rich seaweed concentrate, on roses of CVS. "Mercedes", "Jaguar", and "Gabriella", produced 14%��"47% more "bottom breaks". The higher rates of increase were obtained when foliage was comparatively sparse and more light penetrated to the graft area, and the lower rates of increase corresponded to denser foliage and lower light intensities."

http://www.actahort.org/books/189/189_25.htm
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Title: Efficiency and selectivity of four natural products against powdery mildew of rose.

Authors: Pommelet, A.; Stapel, O.
    Book Association Française de Protection des Plantes, 9ème conférence international sur les maladies des plantes, Tours, France, 8 et 9 Décembre 2009 2009 pp. 601-610

Abstract: In this study we evaluate the efficiency and the selectivity of several biological and chemical products against powdery mildew. The products tested are a product C containing seaweed extracts, amino acids and fertilizing elements NPK, a product B containing dark seaweed extracts, a product C containing peel citrus fruit extracts, a product A containing fermented plant extracts and an alternated application of product C and product D. A treatment with water and a chemical control allow an adequate comparison to verify product effectiveness. The products B, C, D and the alternated application of C/D, presented a partial efficiency against the powdery mildew. However, the efficacy of these products was inferior to that of the alternated chemical treatment. The three natural products B, C, D may nevertheless offer a solution to reduce the use of chemical products in potted rose cultures."

http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/20103037096.html;jsessionid=05F359BB0083FFD8D008AC0552F1B7F0
    -------------------------------------------------

Full 1999 scientific paper (for some reason it would not cut and paste for me).

http://docsdrive.com/pdfs/ansinet/pjbs/1999/1274-1277.pdf
    ---------------------------------------
    "After three applications of compost tea, both drenching to the soil and leaf spraying, there were some improvements including reduced water use for irrigation. The vegetation appeared greener than plants in the surrounding area, the presence of beneficial insects in the garden was noted, and black spot was suppressed. Problems that persist are the presence of black spot and fungus in the garden and population levels of beneficial bacteria and fungus in compost tea is lower than expected. Improving the quality of the compost tea has been studied. Removing synthetic chemicals from the Rose Garden is going to be a challenge and it is not going to happen in a year. Justin expects that it will take at least a few years of an organic approach before we start to really see a truly healthy rose garden."

H.Kuska comment: The compost tea included seaweed.

http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/arboretum/pdf/Rose_and_Flower_Book2012.pdf

------------------------------------------

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 straberry study

• rockyrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all for responding!!

Anthony... The website info on SeaCom does not specify if it is to be used as a foliar spray or added to the roots. Your response would then make me question if the results would make a difference in how it is applied. As a foliar spray, I was considering using it once or twice most. I was looking for the results of more leaves. I should also add that I use RoseTone as a soil fertilizer. I do add alfalfa pellets to the soil every spring to encourage basal breaks.

Henry...OK....so some seaweed can have heavy metals in it...I am using this strictly for roses....no vegetables. But, I also do not use any e.g. pesticides, etc. for fear of hurting my dogs, wildlife, etc. Took soil samples today as a "just in case" I may be low in magnesium.... and am very PROUD that there were many earthworms in the soil. I am relieved to hear from you that your interpretation of what PAN is stating "very little testing has been done". If anyone on this site would have read anything regarding toxicity, it would have been you or michaelg!

Thanks!

Rose

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

Regarding the use of too much cytokinin. In tissue cultures the cytokinin/auxin ratios are critical. In grown plant applications I could not find any references to problems due to high cytokinin usage. Of course theoretically it is possible (if the plant does not have built in self regulating protections). Does anyone know of any published problems?