Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Spot roses

Posted by triniguy Z11 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 19:37

Hi,

I mostly lurk, but I saw this group of roses online and am a bit intrigued.

http://www.tesselaar.com/plants/sweet-spot-roses/

"the Sweet Spot� rose, will make rose history. And that�s because it is not a Tea Rose, not a Floribunda, and not a rose from any other existing rose category created during the last 200 years�

These new Sweet Spot roses are part of the new The Decorator Rose� category. They are a very distinct and different group of roses that are compact in shape and size, and are so very free flowering that we have not seen them without flowers in our trial gardens from spring till fall. These will be ultimately available in a whole kaleidoscope of different colors that you can use to readily decorate around your house."

- Quote from website.

Does anyone grow any of these cultivars? Info/pictures etc will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Spot roses

I have not heard of Sweet Spot roses so I can't comment but I'm interested in finding out about them.

o

They are Hulthemia persica hybrids bred by Interplant in the Netherlands and look similar to the Eyeconic series from rose hybridizer Jim Sproul.

Here is a link that might be useful: rose hybridizer Jim Sproul

o

Some info on Rosa Persica.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosa Persica on Wiki

o

Lots of folks jumping on the Hulthemia persica band wagon.

I'm really "taken" with 'Eyes For You,' (from Peter James, UK). The bloom purples as it ages, and it looks like it will be happy in my conditions.

o

Nice photo of EYES FOR YOU, Jeri. I like how it shows the color variations from bud to mature flower.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 18:46

I have had Jim Sproul's Eyeconic Pink Lemonade for 3 years now and I love it. It has great rebloom and is very healthy for me. It's also remarkably winter hardy. Which was in question early on because of the Rosa Persica in it's background.

Eyeconic Pink Lemonade photo epl2014_06120025_zps97e1345f.jpg

I got Bulls Eye late last season and it never bloomed for me so I was a little surprised that it came back after that bad winter. It's planted in the ground now and putting on a lot of growth and has bloomed a couple of times. It's been healthy so far. Of the two I still like EPL the best because BE fades out to almost white really fast.

Bulls Eye photo be2014_06150003_zps198f7d73.jpg

o

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a tropical garden blog if anyone is interested (shameless plug):

http://trinigarden.blogspot.com/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here