Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

Who's doing best?

seil zone 6b MI
11 years ago

It's very humid, Very Hot and VERY DRY here right now. Which is why I'm in the A/C on the computer instead of outside with the roses. Most of my roses look dismal at best, black spot everywhere (no spraying in this kind of heat!), some of them buck naked of leaves already and small, distorted and/or washed out blooms if any at all. The worst of the lot would be Angel Face and Golden Celebration. I think they're vying for The Best Naked Rose Award. There are NO minis that look good and very few blooms on any of them. The OGRs are fairly healthy but refuse to bloom at all in the heat and Graham Thomas wilts every other minute for need of watering. (Big sigh) the dog days of summer!

However, there are a few exceptions. Julia Child is green and lush with leaves and blooms. So is Home Run. While English Sonnet and Folklore are not spot free it is confined to the very bottom and not showing any signs of climbing up over several weeks now. And both are blooming nicely. Oklahoma and Sedona have just given me an amazing flush of huge blooms even though they are both bare from about half way down. My new Eyeconic Pink Lemonade has only a handful of spotty leaves and just keeps blooming away.

So what's doing well for you? Anything standing out as greener than green amongst the leafless? Anything laughing at the heat and drought and blooming it's fool head off?

(Just so you know, I'm planning on shovel pruning a host of duds this fall to make way for some new ones next spring and all good suggestions are welcome, lol! :))

Comments (27)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Ditto on my two Julias, seil. In the hot, arid West, they are just amazing troupers. The three little Bernstein-Rose bushes down the slope in the center front bed look like the small children of Julia, same color and look of the blooms. I'm afraid the Forum members will send out a posse to string me up if I mention again that we don't have black spot here, so there are no nekkid rosies. It's actually better than a couple of weeks ago with most roses blooming ok.
    Again, I'm getting on my soapbox for Twilight Zone and Ascot, as well as Princess Alexandra of Kent and Young Lycidas. They have been wonderful for me so far.
    I hope things get better for you and all the other Forum members battling bs. In a few months we'll all be hating winter! Diane

• t_bred
    11 years ago

Big shout out for my Amazing Grace, planted as a band in June and is already setting it's second blooms! Big gorgeous flowers and not a spot of anything on it.... love this rose!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    11 years ago

Haven't trated for blackspot, haven't fertilized, watering has been erratic. Floral Fairy Tale, Caramel Fairy Tale and Blushing Knock Out have intact, spotless leaves. Rosenstadt Friesing, Baby Faurax, Marchesa Boccella and Excellenz von Schubert have leaves, but are showing signs of anthracnose. Everything else is pretty bare.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Belinda's Dream is a bloomin' machine! No disease, just keeps pumping out the roses!

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

The Romanticas like my alkaline clay soil and summer heat. My best performers are Meiland roses from France: Firefighter, 2007 Sweet Promise, Bolero Floribunda, Pink Peace, Liv Tyler.

Kim Rupert's creation Annie Laurie McDowell and Lynnie loves the summer heat - they both are drought-tolerant. All the above have zero diseases here.

• dove_song
    11 years ago

Hands down winner here is BRIGADOON! Onother winner is Daved Austin's BELLE STORY! Also TIFFANY! :~)

• wintercat_gw
    11 years ago

Iceberg.

Here too it's hot, humid, rainless, but Iceberg keeps pumping out round after round of snowy blooms. The blooms are slightly smaller than in spring, but the bush looks like a lovely mound of whipped cream most of the time. The intervals between blooming rounds are short (last one was about two and a half weeks).

The foliage is largely healthy, with very minor blackspot. In spring there was more so I sprayed, but in the past couple of months there was no need. I still give the bushes imidacloprid every 6 weeks via soil drench.

Great rose. Love it!

• rainbowrose
    11 years ago

Best roses are 'Spirit of Freedom',Belinda's Dream,Madame Isaac Pereire.Gallicas and most of the other old roses look good.50 or so others nothing.Very few HT's and other blooms that drop after a day.I'm no spray.I have been deep watering about once a week. We have had almost no rain since May with many days over 100.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Austin's Lady of Shalott and Molineux--each rested for about 1.5 weeks in mid-late July but are blooming again. Main effect of the heat--much smaller blooms. Same is true of Red Intuition.

Sweet Diana (yellow mini)--also rested for a couple weeks in mid-late July, and now is blooming (although not as heavily as earlier)--while cheerfully ignoring heat or any other stress. Leaves show no stress either.

Earth Song, Elina, Home Run, William Shakespeare 2000, Mystic Beauty--not blooming heavy but always seem to have a few blooms going. With the exception of my very green and well-leafed Mystic Beauty, the plants look a bit ratty, but not from BS--from sunburn (months of triple-digit heat!). The brown-tipped leaves don't look that attractive, needless to say.

The garden might be in shock right now. Yesterday, the temps suddenly zoomed up to 107 degrees. Then last night, it RAINED! Good steady rain--and it is almost cool this morning. My roses probably have no idea what is going on! (I think that might be the first decent rain all summer.)

Kate

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    11 years ago

My Julia is doing great. When I bought her in May she was really full and fat. Now she has grown taller and slimmed down (although I know I fed her well, just not pate).
    The floribundas I bought from Kmart (windmill nursery) are non stop bloom machines! My Oklahoma and Mr. Lincoln continue to bloom on in flushes.
    Double Delight is really doing well.
    The rose that started my addiction is "Peace" CL. Got it at Lowes last August near dead and $8. This spring I bet it had 100 blooms. Canes are now 8 ft high. No more repeat bloom but I guess it's like what I've heard about the Gallicas--they may only bloom once but boy when they do! So gorgeous and fragrant.
    I think it has BS and I defoliated the bad looking leaves and cleared out some nepeta growing around it hoping to improve circulation.
    We just had a downpour of several inches!
    sorry to ramble

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm glad to hear that Julia does well in a wide variety of climates! I think it could be the answer to replacing the ubiquitous Knock Outs. It's SOOO much prettier and it's fragrant too! And truthfully, for me anyway, it's healthier! My KO is almost completely leafless at the moment!

I'm writing a list of these names so I can check them all out and see which ones I might want to get for next spring.

I loved Annie Laurie McDowell when I briefly had her, Strawberry. The problem is I can only find her as a tiny band and those just don't get large enough in their first season to make it through my winters. Which is why I lost her the first time. Does anyone sell her in a bigger size?

Dove, I do lean a little toward the exhibition type roses so I like your two HT suggestions!

Wintercat, although I have Brilliant Pink Iceberg, and it does do fairly well for me, Iceberg seems to do much better in CA than it does in MI.

While I don't have Madame Isaac Perreire herself I do have several seedlings from her and they all spot like mad here, Rainbowrose.

I agree, Kate, that Red Intuition loves the heat and is blooming well, however, it's also pretty much leafless.

I'm really glad to hear that your new roses are doing so well, Susan! They'll well and truly hook you on your new passion, lol!

Well, we had "fierce" T-storms roll through last night...yeah, right...we got .16 inches of rain. That barely wet the pavement so I'm off to go out and water...again!

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Hi Seil: I got Annie L.M. as a band from Burlington in early March. She was exposed to frost down to 32 degrees, which stunted her growth. The first flush was 1 or 2 blooms. The 2nd and 3rd flush I jumped started her with alfalfa meal, and got at least 15 buds to pinch off. The 4th flush I get impatient with her not growing, so I gave her high nitrogen fertilizer NPK of 10-5-4 (chicken manure) plus alfalfa meal for growth boost. She sprouted lots of leaves, and gained 3" with mutiple branching. I have less buds to pinch off.

The key to getting Annie to grow is giving her high nitrogen fertilizer, and a good dose of alfalfa meal mixed with dirt prior to each flush. Now she's as big as Basyes Blueberry, which will ensure her winter-survival in zone 5a. I will winterize Annie in the garage just to be safe. TerryJean in zone 5b, a few hours south of me, grows Super Jane with just some oak leaves blown on top as winter protection. Super Jane is Renae x unknown, versus Annie is Renae x Renae.

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

In the midst of gopher replant hell, ELLE has completely captured my heart. Her multihued blooms are so stunning, and the fragrance so magnificant. My garden looks like a scene out of Mad Max, and there she is like a phoenix. Along with YOUNG LYCIDAS who continues to impress despite only 1/2 it's rootbase. Then for a few of my regular yearly stunners that haven't been ravaged yet - JUST JOEY - I just can't say enough about him. I'm lucky to have two, and always - all year long except for about 2 winter months, one of the two is pumping out his huge, gorgeous blooms (that don't shrink one bit in the peek of heat). Seil - were you every able to get one? PINK PROMISE and BRIDE'S DREAM show me in summer that they are absolute heat lovers. A relatively new addition CHERRY PARFAIT is a rock star - crazy blooming machine - takes a few week hiatus between cycles, then just explodes again. cl. CHOCOLATE SUNDAE is a climber on steroids. Purchased in a 5 gallon pot last fall, she's now about 7' tall. More focus into growing than blooming, but taking time to put out about 10-15 blooms at a time just to tease me and let me know how beautiful she'll be.

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

I have to say that in my garden the floribunda Valentine is the rose that is performing best. It is never out of bloom and the blooms fade/shrink to a very small degree, particularly compared to the other roses in the garden.
    Molly

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

Unlike you poor people with triple digit heat, it's lately been a little cooler than our normal summer temperatures. I had a lot more disease earlier in the year and now everything seems to be coming back. Charles Darwin hasn't done well for the past few years and is somewhat defoliated, ditto Leonie's Appoline. My best performers are the SdlM clan, Belinda's Dream, Mrs. B.R. Cant, Sophie's Rose, Pretty Jessica, The Dark Lady, Aunt Margie's Rose (growing huge and lush against a house wall), Le Vesuve and Miss Atwood. Burgundy Iceberg has gorgeous foliage and is having another heavy flush. I'm taking note of the heat lovers that some of you have mentioned above. I can never have enough!

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tips, Strawberry! I am thinking about trying her again next spring.

Maryl, stay inside! The roses will survive and so will you then.

Harmony, I have Elle as well and while it is a pretty vigorous grower and bloomer for me it's also been ravaged all summer with pests and diseases. I've yet to have seen a decent bloom on her. Maybe with her fall flush?

No, unfortunately the Just Joey I picked up at Walmart this spring turned out to be a mislabeled rose that I've tentatively IDed as Vavoom. I do love JJ but in truth it wasn't particularly healthy or vigorous. I was hoping that maybe a different plant would behave better.

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

Have rocky alkaline soil, high temps. No spray & I'm deep watering ~once weekly.

The stars: Iceberg has lots of blooms, brilliant pink Iceberg has over 30 (got tired of counting) with good pink flush to them.
    La Marne has bloomed nonstop & is still at it, same with "Caldwell Pink".
    A big-box store Chrysler Imperial & Love have also thrown blooms steadily. All these are in full unrelenting sun.

Peach Belle has lush foliage & about a dozen blooms tho they are smaller. I quit fertilizing late June because it's so dang hot & dry. A couple of Tropicanas have been steady, too, but their blooms are small right now. These guys have some early shade but full blast sun the rest of the day.

A baby Talisman & a bigger Nasturana from Greenmantle. have bloomed since I got them this spring. Nasturana stays covered in bloom. They are in pots.

• lothlin
    11 years ago

Of everything I've planted this year, Zephirine Drouhin is doing the best - once we got some rain it decided to really get to shooting out canes.

Dick Clark, Elle, and Ebb Tide are all doing great, considering the drought - all three of them are popping out blooms right now (though Elle's are looking holy thanks to japanese beetles deciding that they are tasty,) and Elle is straight heavy with buds at the moment.

Scentimental is.... small. Its put on a decent amount of leaves but hasn't really gotten any length to the canes and has only managed to put on one weak bud recently that resulted in an equally week flower.

Snowfire was planted latest and a good portion of leaves are showing a lot of browning, but it seems to have recovered and is putting out a few leaves here and there. Fingers crossed it does well.

Worst off is Joseph's Coat. I don't know what happened with it, but it got planted fairly early, right after the zephirine drouhin, but is doing absolutely the worst of all my rose bushes. Whereas the other climber is absolutely lush, this one has just NOW, within the last week, finally put out a few tiny leaves. I think it came down with some sort of disease and had to fight it off, there's no other real explanation for how bad its been doing - I do hope it perks up, I simply adore the blooms. :(

And all the bands are doing just dandy :D.

• bonny46
    11 years ago

Lady Elsie May has been my one bright spot all summer. It has been blooming its head off, as you said! Bonica has also been a work horse. Fourth of July was going strong until mid July, and now it's just resting, I guess. Everything else is in a holding pattern - just a few blooms here and there in this heat. Hope everyone is gearing up for a nice fall flush.

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Who is doing best today?

I would say Iceberg....but that is cause there are so many of them one has too be doing good...lol

Of the Austins my maybe Princess Alexandra of Kent is getting ready to burst with blooms again.

But my favorite for doing best, is one of the two collections of sticks I saved from the gopher/mole attack and moved to the lower garden. Both have sat with 2L water bottle spikes on them for the past 2-3 weeks. The one that was doing the best and had the most root left, is busting out all over with new growth. The other is still a collection of sticks, but not dying (yet) so I have hope. It is our busy bloomer pink that I have no idea what rose it is or when in was planted. Grew next to the garage with the horse stall in it :)

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

Oh, I did forget to mention Lady Elsie May. She is wonderful--totally healthy and continuous bloom!
    Molly

• User
    11 years ago

A horrible non-summer here, horrid late freezes which destroyed blossom on tons of fruit, drought till March then it rained.......and rained....and rained some more. It is raining now. Roses have all put out loads of vegetative growth, not so many blooms and fungal nightmares are lurking everywhere.
    Absolute rubbish- ZEPHIRINE DROUHIN, PHILIPPA RENAISSANCE, LILIANA RENAISSANCE, SUMMER SONG, HOT CHOCOLATE
    Struggling, but surviving- FALSTAFF, JUDE and PAT AUSTIN, my troika of Austins, planted in the same garden area, and all looking a bit ropy. JAQUES CARTIER/MARQUESA BOCCHELLA- doing itS usual collapse and continual dieback from every bud. CARDINAL HUME- a blackspotter, but so lovely. Completely naked - MUTABILIS, also struggling and looking dread - WILD EDRIC
    Looking unexpectedly chipper - NASTARANA and ICEBERG, in my rose hedge, look promising and co-operative - somewhat worried about the endless snaky growth of AYRESHIRE SPLENDENS.
    Top of the class - a bunch of Lens hybrid musks - JACQUELINE HUMERY, MATCHBALL, SIBELIUS, PLEINE DE GRACE - completely free of disease. DARLOWS ENIGMA - I believe this is going to thrive in East Anglia, PENNY LANE, a little Harkness climber completely pristine, as is another Harkness climber, PERPETUALLY YOURS. Also (and I was warned otherwise, MEG is doing really well and so is NAHEMA - a very refined rose (for me) but surprisingly healthy. Also, another Kordes rose, JASMINA, vigorous and healthy - just the odd spotty leaf. Finally, spotless AIMEE VIBERT, R.POMIFERA DUPLEX, HELENAE HYBRID, LEONTINE GERVAISE and all the pimpinellas and early spring species are weathering the lack of any real summer sun.

• jktx55
    11 years ago

My New Day, Pascalia, and Broadway are blooming like crazy, the blooms are a little smaller in size but the bushs haven't lost any leaves. I can't say that for rest of them.

• organicgardendreams
    11 years ago

In my neck of the woods temperatures have been in the upper 80. I see a big difference between the roses that have been watered and fertilized well and the once that I didn't get too. I garden organically and don't spray.

Roses that look good in my garden right now are 'Pope John Paul II', this roses is just producing a new flush and seem to shrug of the heat. The same goes for 'Sweetness'. Both roses are completely healthy.

Also my two 'Pierre de Ronsard' roses are blooming and are unfazed by the temperatures. They had some rust earlier, but seemed to be over it by now. 'Our Lady of Guadalupe' and the 'Iceberg' roses have the most blooms even though both show some mild signs of powdery mildew.

'Baronne Edmond de Rothschild' is a new HT in my garden. I grow it own root and it is still in a container but so far it has been very healthy and is pumping out blooms. It is too earlier to make a valid evaluation, but the first impression is good.

The DA rose 'Charles Darwin' is my favorite in the moment. I have two of them planted in 21 inch containers and they are churning out flush after flush. In comparison to other DA's that I grow this rose holds on to her petals, which I consider a huge advantage.

Christina

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    11 years ago

I second POPE JOHN PAUL II. He came from Roses Unlimited this spring and I have been pinching off new buds every week, way more than any other new rose. ROSE DE RESCHT has survived spidermites and sill has just about all her leaves. HOME RUN is in her second year and produces a good number of blooms, and LYDA ROSE always has a "spray" or more blooming.

• nitric_acid
    11 years ago

Fragrant Plum is having the best year it's ever had.

Marijke Koopman is outstanding as always. Winter hardy, disease resistant and vigorous. What more could one want?

Julia Child is amazing. Very healthy, and always loaded with flowers. This has got to be one of the all around best roses in recent years.

Artistry is doing very well. Perhaps my favorite coral orange hybrid tea.

Love and Peace seems to be indestructible. I'm not a big fan of the flowers, but this rose grows too well to get rid of it.

Now for my number 1 dud: Chris Evert. Beautiful melon colored blooms with nice form. The only problem is you only get them once a year. Then it spends the whole summer just sitting there doing nothing. What a tease!