Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long does it take for RRD to kill a rose?

Posted by poorbutroserich Nashville 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 19:44

How would you inform someone their roses had RRD?Telegram? Email? In person? Note? Landshark?
There is a home not too far from me that has 30 or so Knockouts�most of which have been infected with RRD.
How long does it take for RRD to kill a rose?
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long does it take for RRD to kill a rose?

Did you ask whether a herbicide product was used?

http://home.roadrunner.com/~kuska/rose_rosette_disease_virus.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

o

I would talk to them in person, and give them a card listing the phone number of the nearest consulting rosarian or extension office.

Anyone who has left the roses more than likely is not aware of the effects of Round Up.

I would also be prepared for them to do nothing. No other disease that I know of is like RRD, and the listener will more than likely smile, but think you are rather hysterical.

Sammy

o

In Nashville Dr. Alan Windham who is a plant pathologist with the State Ag Department has been working with his brother, Dr. Mark Windham, on RRv on the grant sponsored by the American Rose Society. If they blow you off, suggest they contact him.

From what I've seen in and around Knoxville, the sickness gets worse on Knockouts, and the treatment/pruning that they get can accelerate death. With crappy care, the disease seems to survive for at least three years on KOs.

We did watch it on Nearly Wilds up in Harrogate Tennessee and it spread much more slowly in those bushes and they lasted five years before all canes were sick.

It will be interesting over in Asheville NC to see how long the mass plantings of KO along US 25 last. A few buildings' KOs weren't sick last summer, but most were.

o

I can't really say about the business-end of David Austin's business nor about any other company/business, but I can say that to me, Austin roses are NOT " those bloated and frilly monsters." They are still my favorite category of roses--though I like a lot of other kinds of roses also.

Kate

o

• Posted by subk3 7a/MidTn (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 15:48

Susan I think death takes a few years. The ones in downtown Franklin that I was watching were going on 3 years before they finally dug them out because they got so ugly. The multiflora seem to hang on for a least that long as well.

I've linked a story that was circulating locally last year. It might help you with your neighbor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mid Tn RRD story

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here