Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little green bugs

Posted by dreamrosered 3 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 7, 09 at 19:47

In the last couple days I have found itty bitty teeny tiny green bugs living on my roses, they seem to really like the buds. What could they be and what can I do to get rid of them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little green bugs

There are lots small green bugs, without pictures it will be very difficult to determine what they are. Try searching for 'garden insects' and see if you can find a website with pictures that match the bugs on your plants.

o

Sounds like aphids. Search for pic on google images. Something like "aphids on rose bud".

o

I just noticed little tiny green bugs all over the top ends of my rose stems as well. Mostly on the newly forming buds.

I sprayed them the next day with a Bayer Insect Killer...as dead and gone.

They where aphids...just like the ones in this link.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bugguide.net/images/cache/EQO04QC0UQUKIKPKIKCKSKWKKKC0RKNK5KVKWQAKNQY05KNK2QD05QNK5KVK1QBKMKTKMKF04KOKMKVK9Q30GQF0NQ.jpg&imgrefurl=http://bugguide.net/node/view/129688/bgimage&usg=__7ZNHIuYA1LLWnM0nyqcgPNS4R8w=&h=560&w=421&sz=47&hl=en&start=9&um=1&tbnid=3cIpLzyRgdtItM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=100&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgreen%2Bbugs%2Bon%2Broses%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

o

Just a thought here ...

Spraying with a chemical pesticide for aphids is something like using a sledge hammer to kill a fly in your living room.
Far, far too much destruction for the simple thing you wanted to accomplish.

Aphids are vulnerable, soft-bodied insects.
You can brush them off the buds with your fingers, or hose them off with water from a gardenhose.

Birds love to eat aphids.
If you avoided the pesticide, and left the aphids where they were, birds and predatory insects
would eliminate them with no action from you needed.

Only, when you spray with something like the Bayer Pesticides, you kill the beneficial
insects, and repel the birds.
:-( so when you need them next, they won't be there.

Jeri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here