Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sean57

Can anyone identify the insect from the eggs?

sean57
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Please feel free to speculate on what kind of insect might have laid the eggs pictured in the photograph. My rosebush had two leaves with these eggs on them.

{{gwi:320995}}

Many thanks for your ideas!

Sean

Comments (14)

• york_rose
    13 years ago

As a general rule of thumb insects lay their eggs on, or very near, their babies' food. Predatory insects usually lay their eggs such that when the eggs hatch the babies will have live insects to eat as soon as they hatch from the eggs.

Likewise insects whose babies eat plants lay them on the plant.

My advice is that you either crush the eggs, or remove those two leaves and either compost them or put them in the garbage.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    13 years ago

Contact Baldo Villegas.His website is below. He's an entomologist for the state of California and volunteers as the bug man for the ARS. He willingly answers question regarding insects. His e-mail address is on the website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baldo's buggy website

• phil_schorr
    13 years ago

If you do contact Baldo and he can identify them, please let us all know so we'll know what we have if we get them.

• sean57
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Many thanks for the info and helpful advice York, Karl and Phil. I'll contact Mr. Villegas and post his reply here later.

Sean

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I think those are caterpillar eggs- something like armyworms, maybe. It's possible they are green stinkbug eggs too, but I would bet on caterpillars of some sort.
    Renee

• kstrong
    13 years ago

Or, just put the leaf and some others of the same variety in a jar with an escape-proof lid on it (but which allows some air in) and see what hatches.

• greenhaven
    13 years ago

My guess is saltmarsh caterpillars. I put a leaf in a jar and let them hatch; yours look very much like mine did. On the other hand many insect eggs look like all the rest. :o)

Here are pics of mine:

{{gwi:298527}}

{{gwi:320996}}

{{gwi:320997}}

• sage_co
    13 years ago

Wow, one individual bug can lay so much. There must be 500 eggs. I know the lady bug eggs. So, by just reading your title, I thought I could be proud of answering to this question, emphasizing not to destroy them. But, I give up.

• luvblueroses
    13 years ago

There are but seeing that not even half will live to make it to adult hood and have their own babies. Thats why they have a lot. Look forward to hearing the verdict.

• greenhaven
    13 years ago

Can you imagine the energy it must have taken that one little bug to lay all those eggs? It's really astounding, if you think about it.

• caroline1
    13 years ago

Greenhaven, all that energy came from eating an awful lot! lol
    I'm in Lake County, IL, BTW.

• greenhaven
    13 years ago

caroline, oh yeah, lol! I am in Ogle County...out in the sticks!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Did anyone find out what insect could have laid these eggs by any chance?

I just discovered this on the top of a hosta leaf. Not sure whether a beneficial bug/insect or not. Would anyone know please? I googled but could not find identical eggs except for this thread.

Thank you.
    Jo.

• Ki
    6 years ago

found this bug coming out of the eggs the were on my hot pepper plants