Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
worknomore

pruning

worknomore
9 years ago

This old rose is getting about 10-12 foot tall and I think I kneed to prune it but don't know how. Can anyone give me some suggestions. Thanks, Rod

Comments (12)

• worknomore
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also my new cactus garden

• worknomore
    Original Author
    9 years ago

my backyard

• worknomore
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My Flower Bed

• worknomore
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have been trying to get the yard back in shape this year after neglect for years. Finally finished with most of it.

• cecily
    9 years ago

Wow! Your yard is gorgeous. Are you in Arizona or California? Before we can make rose pruning suggestions, could you take a close up photo of the base of the rose plant? It may be a rose tree or a one caned wonder and pruning methods would differ. I'm guessing that the tree in the background isn't yours so you can't limb it up.

• worknomore
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the response. Here are more photos of the rose. Also I live in Northern California by Chico. I have thought about getting two pieces of 8 foot tall lattice and building a frame around it and screwing it into the fence though. Regardless I have to think of something before the winter hits with it's heavy wind storms. (well if we have a winter this year in Cali.)

This post was edited by worknomore on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 13:31

• worknomore
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rose flower

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

I just love your cactus garden. You did some fantastic work, the whole yard looks great!

• worknomore
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Top of the rose

• michaelg
    9 years ago

It is a climbing variety that needs to have the long canes fanned out semi-horizontally and fastened to the fence. Then it will bloom all along the canes, and you would cut back the lateral (secondary flowering) shoots after each flush of bloom. Is that feasible? Roses with this habit of growth can be bullied into becoming well-branched large shrubs, but it looks like an espalier might go better with the formal style of the garden.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Michael is right. If those canes are flexible at all the you want to spread them out sideways to get more bloom. If not you can prune it back to fence height for winter and then as the new canes grow out train them sideways while they are still flexible. I don't think you want to take it down too far because it looks like you only have two thick old canes coming up at the bottom. That's not all that unusual for climbers.

• worknomore
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. Those tall canes all started out this year since I started using Rose Tone and put timed sprayers under the rose so there still flexible. The canes all want to go to the left because of the neighbors tree blocking the light on the right. I will get some hooks on the fence and fan them out using the green gardening tape.

This post was edited by worknomore on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 15:49