Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jardineratx

Quietness Pruning

jardineratx
10 years ago

I have two young Quietness roses that I have transplanted to improved locations in my flower beds, but I have planted them in areas where they will need to be maintained at no larger than approximately 4 feet wide. I normally do very light pruning on my roses since the majority of them are teas, chinas, noisettes and hybrid musks that generally don't take kindly to heaving pruning. I am under the impression that Buck roses have been bred for colder climates and I assume that means that they are good candidates for pruning relatively hard each spring. Is this assumption correct?
Thanks,
Molly

Comments (6)

• Terry Crawford
    10 years ago

Molly, I prune 'Quietness' to shape as with any shrub rose here in Zone 5. Each Buck rose has different winter cane hardiness properties; some die back to the ground, while some are hardier. 'Quietness' is one that has proven to be hardier, requiring minimal Spring pruning but a more vigorous Summer pruning to shape up the bush. 'Quietness' has proven to be a very healthy, reliable, and fragrant bloomer...a beautiful rose.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Mine also hasn't required much spring pruning. It's usually pretty hardy to the tips for me. I have cut it back for size though. It doesn't seem to bother it much. It just grows back bigger, lol!

• jardineratx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to you both for the information. I'm afraid I was not clear on my question, however. I am in southeast Texas and have very mild winters, so cold-hardiness is never a problem for my roses. My concern is that I may have to prune Quietness down quite a bit to keep it in the space allotted to it and since gardeners with harsh winters are forced to cut their roses down pretty hard, I wonder if that treatment of Quietness would work for me here in the South.
    Thanks again,

Molly

• Terry Crawford
    10 years ago

The only problem I foresee is that if you have to continually prune 'Quietness' to keep it in a space that is way too small for of a shrub of that size is that you will sacrifice bloom. It takes about 6 weeks after severe pruning for shrubs to rebloom. 'Quietness' has about 3 or 4 good flushes per season here. Pruning to shape a shrub is necessary, but continually pruning to fit a shrub into a small, cramped space that it was never meant to grow in is not a good fit for a big rose shrub. I've planted many a rose and learned that lesson the hard way and had to dig and replant...and the rose was much happier. Just my thoughts...Seil, what do you think?

• jardineratx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I am so glad to hear that Quietness will not sulk when pruned. I really didn't want to move the two bushes, but the deer munching on them was absolutely constant. It appears that they were in their path, or they are particularly tasty to the deer, so I found a couple of spots for them to go to. The first one to be transplanted (to a deer-free zone) is already fully foliated and has several bloom buds on it. I agree a crowded Quietness is much better than no Quietness at all. In both locations they can grow as tall as they wish, but I will prune them occasionally to keep them in their more narrow space.
    Molly