Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nastarana

E. M. Mills Rose Garden

nastarana
10 years ago

In this report about the E M Mills rose garden, I want to share the names of the standout roses I saw. I live in Utica, NY. in a frost pocket, not far from the Mohawk river. So, my yard must be considered as being solidly in zone 5a for the time being. The E M Mills rose garden, in Syracuse, occupies a lovely hilltop site which is about 100 miles or so closer to Lake Ontario than my yard. I would imagine the zone is likely 5b/6a.

I saw a very nice and healthy plant of Zephrine Drouhin, a cultivar I would not think of trying in my yard.

I saw several HTs which were, large, vigorous and free from BS., Headliner is one of the most beautiful HTs I have seen. It is similar to Double Delight in color changing properties, but, IMO, far more beautiful. Alas. no discernible fragrance. McCartney Rose looked fabulous; a large bush with completely healthy and clean foliage. Almost as outstanding was Sunset Celebration. I also noticed an HT called Stokes and Elina, also vigorous cultivars with clean or nearly clean foliage. There really does seem to be a distinct improvement in vigor and disease resistance in at least some newer cultivars over many in the past.

OTOH, an early cultivar which also looked almost as good as the above named was Lady Ursula, from 1908.

I have already decided I must have Headliner, and probably The McCartney Rose as well.

Comment (1)