Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Intertwining Pillar Roses on One Pillar/Support

Posted by ArbutusOmnedo CA (Sunset 24) (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 21:09

Hey Y'all,

I was wondering if anyone has experience growing two pillar roses up the same support? I've definitely seen pictures of it, but it seems like one would need to pick very complimentary roses -in terms of appearance, growth habit, disease resistance, a once blooming rose with a remontant rose, et cet.-when attempting this.

The effect is incredibly striking and I would just like to hear your thoughts on the potential negatives (e.g. tangling, roses strangling each other, lack of airflow, ...) and positives of this growing strategy. I happen to be about a mile from the beach in very mild Santa Monica. I've been planning for a series of three pillar roses to go on the path towards the front door and this idea has really captivated me. If you have any recommendations for pillar roses (preferably around 10', but 12' or so is manageable) in this area I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thus far, Gloire des Rosomanes, Cornelia, and Setzer Noisette -if I can ever find it- seem like very fitting choices for pillars here. I would probably prefer OGRs, but I'm open to about anything. I'm also fairly open as regards color, but im generally looking for options that are pink, white/cream, yellow, and red.

Thanks for any and all help, everyone's experience here is truly priceless.

Cheers,
Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Intertwining Pillar Roses on One Pillar/Support

Jay -- I've usually seen 'Gloire des Rosomanes' grown as a BUSH. The canes seem to me not to be lax enough for winding on a pillar.

Setzer Noisette will definitely grow as a pillar rose, but it is itself dense enough that I don't see it "sharing" well with another rose.

I have it in mind to do this myself, with perhaps Cl. Cramoisi Superieur and Purple Skyliner. DH is not enchanted with the idea, but I'm hopeful.

Below see "Setzer Noisette" on an arbor. (It may not be in commerce.)

Jeri

o

Thanks again for important information Jeri. I'm glad you alerted me of that growth habit. Would you say Altissimo might be a good substitute as a red pillar for Gloire des Rosomanes?

Your Setzer Noisette is lovely. Indeed I can't spot it in commerce anywhere, but it's one to keep in mind nevertheless. Perhaps I'll plan to have a central dual trained pillar between two single rose pillars since most of the varieties I'm captivated by seem a bit vigorous.

Jay

o

Jay, the only place I know that Setzer might show up is the Sacramento City Cemetery, because we donated it to the garden, but you might check with Burlington Rose Nursery.

Altissimo is a true Pillar climber, in that it goes straight up and fans out manageably. It was never happy in my garden, but a friend grew it in La Conchita. It grew all the way up her 2-story home. I have envied it for years. It's a good coastal rose.

But for myself, I like 'Fourth of July' more. Personal preference. (See below)

Jeri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here