Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thorngrower

New to HT's As I haven't bought any yet..

Hi

I've been growing shrub roses for 12 yrs or so. Some old once bloomers some modern shrubs. I have a few spots where I'd like color all summer and since some of my favorite gallicas have been sending out runners I have moved my fav's to new locations. Now I have a few front and center places. I really would love to try a few HT's. I'm in Z5 hot and humid summers so Black spot is a big issue. Many roses have been placed to the curb for monday garbage pickup. I do not spray, thats the main reason I haven't tried any ht's.. I love all solid colours red the best. Any suggestions would be greatly appr.

Mark

Comments (14)

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    12 years ago

I'd suggest visiting other rose gardens in your climate to see if there are any varieties that meet your standards. By fall, the ones you want to avoid will show signs of the disease. An exception might be an exhibitor growing roses for fall shows--diligent spraying every week can keep those gardens completely free of BS. Sometimes it does take a year or two for BS to show up on newly developed varieties.

• michaelg
    12 years ago

Few if any HTs will keep their leaves all summer without spray. The most resistant for me is Elina. Naga Belle and The McCartney Rose are resistant in some gardens, depending on the races of blackspot present.

For good repeat bloom and HT-like flowers, I'd suggest you try Prairie Harvest, Earth Song, and Mother of Pearl.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

If you don't spray at all, I'm not sure you will be happy with HTs. They all tend to blackspot--some just a little, many very much.

Myself, I pick the most disease-resistant ones I can find, but I still have to spray a fungicide a couple times in the spring (at the height of BS season) and a couple times in the fall (when BS conditions return again). It is so hot here most of the summer that I don't really need to spray during that time period--as in a lot of triple-digit heat.

If it helps you, Elina may be my most resistant HT, like Michael says.

I also grow Elle, Valencia, Memoire, Chrysler Imperial, Double Delight, Love & Peace, and Peter Mayle. They will all have a little problem with BS, but are not devastated by it.

I believe Earth Song is technically called a hybrid tea or grandiflora, but it tends to look and grow more like a shrub. However, it has good disease-resistance.

If you decide to try some of these, I should warn you that even HTs have rest periods between blooming periods. In fact, some can be rather slow getting started with the re-bloom. You also need to check to see if the HT is hardy in your zone. A lot of them are Zone 6 or higher.

I grow mostly shrubs (modern, some older), but I do like having a few HTs--those big fat high-centered blooms can be irresistible. But if my garden gets a BS attack, it always shows up first on the HTs. They are my canary in the mine, so to speak--time to spray!

The only roses I have that do not need spraying are some of the shrubs--certain Austins, rugosas, some hybrid musks, etc.-- but I have eliminated all serious disease-magnates from the premises (well, except HT Gypsy Carnival--I like it too much).

Good luck in your search.

Kate

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

I grow Hybrid Teas in my organic garden, without spraying, and they do well in my garden setting. The repeat bloom is almost continuous, so they are nice all summer long.

Sheer Bliss and Pink Promise are fantastic in a cold zone. They don't have a lot of die back, grow to almost four feet tall here.

Queen Elizabeth is hardy as well.

I grow some others, Frederic Mistral is great as well.

New Zealand has wonderful fragrance, love the peachy pink blooms.

I recently added Perfume Delight to the garden, super fantastic bloomer here all summer. This is one beautiful, and showy, rose.

I'll enclose a link to some pics I posted of Pink Promise, on the Rose Gallery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Promise

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Most all the HTs will black spot to some degree. Depends on what you're willing to live with. I have spots from the beginning of July on and at the moment the ones with the most clean leaves are, Folklore, Dick Clark and Paradise. The rest are leafless at least half way up and some are completely bare. I rarely spray and have chosen to live with the spots. The roses continue to bloom all season long anyway. I have planted self seeding annuals around the bases, like moss rose, snap dragons and petunias, that hide the bare legs pretty well!

• thorngrower sw. ont. z5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thnx everyone!! I have one ht growing in the front bed my neighbour planted it. So its not really mine we share that bed. She didn't know the name and it does very well. It does get bs but not horribly and it blooms very nicely. I'll check into all your sug. I really don't know of any local rose gardens.I'll have to look into it. Thnx again.

Mark

• predfern
    12 years ago

How many of these HTs survive without protection in zone 4?

• roseseek
    12 years ago

I kind of hate to suggest it, but you might well be served by looking at public plantings and checking with your reliable local garden centers to inquire about Knock Out. It's rated to zone 4b and is an Earth Kind Rose, highly resistant to black spot in many areas. It isn't a cutting rose nor an HT, but it might be just the thing for providing you with the red color you want and a no spray decent performance. Not all resistant roses are resistant in all areas due to the variations in black spot around the country, but this one MAY be just the thing you're looking for. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Knock Out

• karenforroses
    12 years ago

For blackspot resistance and continuous bloom, you might want to also consider the hardy, disease-resistant floribundas Easy Does It and Day Breaker. They have been very clean for me and are almost in constant bloom and brighten up the garden with their apricot blend colors. The Buck rose Square Dancer is another heavy bloomer (bright fuschia) that is quite disease resistant and hardy. All stay a nice compact height as opposed to many shrubs. Royal Wedding is another - nice hybrid tea type blooms and a constant bloomer, but hard to get. Good luck - lots of wonderful choices out there. One hybrid tea that I really love to grow is Helen Naude - more disease resistant than many, extremely robust grower and a very quick rebloomer.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    12 years ago

One of my cleanest bushes and I do spray, is Tahitian Sunset. This is its second season.

• nastarana
    12 years ago

The book, Right Rose, Right Place, should be available from your library, or through interlibrary loan, is an invaluable resource for us zone 5ers. It includes, in the appendices, a lengthy list of HTs which the author has found to be hardy in his Ohio garden.

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

I put some protection on the roses, I mound mulch on the bases of the roses, some of them I wrap in burlap.

• TNY78
    12 years ago

I have 5 red HTs: Oklahoma, Christian Dior, Snowfire, Ink Spots, and 2 Rouge Royal. Out of the 5 types, the only one who has kept its leaves this hot, humid summer is Rouge Royal. I haven't been the best sprayer this summer and have only gotten out maybe once a month (been too busy focusing on my 50+ new roses)!

I would highly reccommend Rouge Royal! It is a beautiful Romantica released by Meilland and possibly my favorite of all 200 roses in my garden! It is almost a constant bloomer and has very full old fashioned blooms about 3-4 inches across. Absolutely stunning & rarely has fungal problems.

The picture below was taken last week in 95 degree weather...

{{gwi:321568}}

• predfern
    12 years ago

My Rouge Royal died. Romanticas aren't very hardy. Bolero is the only one to survive in my garden and it is a floribunda. Here is a list of HTs for zone 5.

Here is a link that might be useful: ROSES FOR THE INLAND NORTHWEST