Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Raspberry Cream Twirl

Kippy
10 years ago

Has anyone grown Raspberry Cream Twirl?

Any comments? Likes? Dislikes?

There is a beautiful one at the local nursery as a 5g staked climber for $23 end of the season sale.

Comments (37)

• shrey.jagma
    10 years ago

Hi Kippy,

I grown it...and it's awesome...but i think this Raspberry Cream Twirl Rose behaved well in Winter.

let me tell you about Raspberry Cream Twirl Rose.

-Raspberry Cream Twirl is the first striped climber with a classic rose exhibition type flower
    -The striping is consistent and the plant has better than average disease resistance for a striped rose.
    -Large, very full, cuplike blooms are deep pink splashed and striped with varying degrees of cool white. Robust vigorous plants filled with dark green, very glossy foliage flower abundantly throughout the season
    -Fragrance: Slight green apple.
    -The flowers have more than 100 petals each.
    -Raspberry Cream Twirl's color is a medium to deep pink streaked with white and light pink.
    -Thornless

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Oh wow, what a beautiful rose and thornless!

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

5g for $23? I'd say that's more than a bargain. That is a gorgeous rose!!! Did you get it Kippy?
    Susan

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

What a beauty! Does it repeat well?

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Not a good rose in my garden. Dunno why.

Btw, all of the info and the picture on the prior post came from Star Roses marketing blurb on that rose. I usually take all of that info with a grain (or maybe two) of salt.

Shrey.Jagma, do you grow this rose?

Here is a link that might be useful: Star Roses on Raspberry Cream Twirl

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got it and planted it!

This part of the ad is correct for what I see (have not cut open and counted the petals but the count is high)
    -Large, very full, cuplike blooms are deep pink splashed and striped with varying degrees of cool white. Robust vigorous plants filled with dark green, very glossy foliage flower abundantly throughout the season
    -Fragrance: Slight green apple.
    -The flowers have more than 100 petals each.
    -Raspberry Cream Twirl's color is a medium to deep pink streaked with white and light pink.
    -Thornless

Very green glossy, foliage and I can smell the apple scent. And other than the lowest sections of the main canes, smooth as a babies bottom. Smooooth.

Susan, they have rows of climbers for that price. If I did not already have one, I would have bought one of the CL Cecile Brunners because all of them were reblooming.

One of the guys that helps me regularly said that they have to close the field one day a week per the ag dept to spray should they need to. They do spray some times with fungicide but he said that this time of year they just close it to make the Ag dept happy as they are done spraying. Considering all the fog, some roses look horrible and some look happy (Colette came home too) The have a large back lot and roses not sold now will be held and grown for next year or potted up and sold for a higher rate.

KStrong, what is it doing or not doing in your yard? I put it in the spot (or near the spot) where we had removed the sickly RMV white rose. It is not a great match with Don Juan, but looks good with the rest of the roses right there and the buds are closer to the deep red of Don so I am pretending the clash does not bother me. It will get more morning-mid day sun and skip the end of the day sun also rather wind protected. Maybe that will help it?

• kstrong
    10 years ago

I'm spoiled by the other stripey climbers that are doing better than that one. I'm partial to Berries N Cream, CandyLand and Fourth of July, all of which are bloom-happy, grow-happy roses and this one is just sitting there, green, not growing much and not blooming.

However, RCT is only a two-year old for me, so I will give it time, whereas the others are established.

10 years ago

Kippy I'm so glad you got it. That is my kind of rose!
    It is just beautiful.
    The local rose choices are so pathetic here. It really is pitiful. I checked HMF and it shows no US mail order nurseries offering this rose.
    If you come across it online would you let me know?
    So pretty.
    Susan

• campv 8b AZ
    10 years ago

Bought one just a month ago.
    Mine cost a lot more- 5gl/$40.00. So it is a good deal. Did not have any trouble with it from the get go. Transplanted from pot went well. Likes a lot of water in the beginning.

• Alwayzbgrateful
    10 years ago

Hey just thought I'd chime in here , I bought a raspberry cream twirl rose (two actually; -) and both are doing so well I had to get another. I got mine from a trusted EBay seller Riobay roses. They sell star rose starting around 9.99 of course bids go up from there. I've found this buyer from someone else here on Gardenweb (sorry forgot who recommended them) but I've been ordering for a while now and haven't had any issue's. They look like bareroots just bigger, most everyone else sells @that price for bands, so I took a chance a boy am I glad I did! Anywhoo they also have Dark Knight for sale too in case someone else is looking. Good luck I hope u get one!

• Alwayzbgrateful
    10 years ago

Sorry I just realized I sound like I'm advertising Riobay, but I promise Im not. I just wanted to let yall know of a trustworthy ebay seller with some difficult to find roses. Hope it helps!

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Wow!!
    Looks fantastic!!!
    Carol

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Alwayz, is RCT own-root or grafted?

• Alwayzbgrateful
    10 years ago

The ones I got from ebay (riobay roses) are own root, they sell some grafted and some own root. All the roses are clearly noted so anyone looking can tell what's what. Hope that helps!!

• Alwayzbgrateful
    10 years ago

As a matter of fact I just bid on all american magic, julio inglesias, and Dark knight!

• Alwayzbgrateful
    10 years ago

Hey Poorbutroserich, I tried to send u an email so u can get one of these guys, but cant seem to send any messages. I hope u got one!!

• Alwayzbgrateful
    10 years ago

Hey Poorbutroserich, I tried to send u an email so u can get one of these guys, but cant seem to send any messages. I hope u got one!!

10 years ago

Thanks Alwayz! I will check them out.
    Susan

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    8 years ago

How did this rose end up doing for everybody? It sure is a beauty. Can it handle hot or humid weather?

~sjn

• jerijen
    8 years ago

Even though our climate is getting hotter and hotter, I still avoid anything with a petal count much over 45, because blooms with a petal count just don't open for me. 100 petals, I wouldn't touch. It will be interesting, Kippy, to see how it opens for you.

• bill14150
    8 years ago

I got one from Brushwood Nursery several weeks ago. It is doing well. Although, it came with a funny story. I was ordering clematis from Brushwood and got into an ordering 'Frenzy' with all sorts of wonderful varieties at the time. On the right hand side of the page, a beautifully full bi colored flower popped up and, thinking it were some kind of incredible bi colored Clem, called Rose Raspberry Cream Twirl, never realizing that the 'rose' in the title was for what it actually was and not part of the color scheme. When the boxes arrived and I was unpacking them, I saw the top of a rose plant and thought, oh my! There is a rose growing in one of the clematis. I was quite surprised to see it was actually a rose plant named 'Raspberry Cream Twirl' and not a clem, but have made a nice home for it and plan to build an 8 foot obelisk for it to inhabit. PS: When I was ordering from Brushwood, I wasn't drinking! :-)

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    8 years ago

Ha, ha, Bill. Glad you ended up liking it. Hope your obelisk turns out well and that you post pictures for us to see.

8 years ago

Mine is now 3 feet tall and started to put out a bud but one of the chickens (I think) bit it off grrrr. It is going gangbusters. It has been in the mid nineties F here and it hasn't even blinked. I think it likes it hot. I am planning to pair it with a Laguna rose that is about the same age and height (so far). I think I will need a really huge arbor lol.

• nle3
    7 years ago

Hi bill14150

How big is the "Raspberry Cream Twirl' rose from Brushwood Nursery? I am so tempted to get one. I bought roses from High Country Rose before and I was disappointed because each rose plant was 4 - 5 inches high, fragile looking. This is the 2nd year and they are still small about 12 inches high. Also, I am also tempted to get some of their clematis but I heard it takes years for clematis to flower and I am one those people who do not want to wait. So, can you tell me how long did it take for your "Raspberry Cream Twirl' rose and clematis you got from Brushwood Nursery to flowered? I really appreciate if you let me know. Thank you.

• bill14150
    7 years ago

Hi. The Raspberry Cream Twirl is just about to bloom now, end of June 2016. It was purchased in 2015 and is about 4 feet tall now. Was about 10" when received. I bought some low growing (3' - 4') clematis and several regular sized. All were about 10" - 12" tall when received in 2015. The low growing clems from 'the Boulevard' series all bloomed this year as I did no pruning on them this year, but did keep them to 12" last year. The regular sized growing clematis have not bloomed, as I pinched them back last year to promote root growth and did the same this year. I also pinched off any flower buds that formed so all strength went to the roots. This will make the plant just pop next year! It's very hard to do, but well worth it. Good luck.

• smithdale1z8pnw
    7 years ago

I planted 2 own-root RCTs last Nov & they're about 20" tall, the bloom is breathtaking as is the fragrance, but I am now dutifully removing all the buds, next year it should be stunning.

bill14150... Can you suggest a clematis to grow through them, I'm just starting to put a few clematis in the garden & would welcome your suggestions.

Jane

• nle3
    7 years ago

thank you Bill. I think I will get RCTs.

• nle3
    7 years ago

Bill4150, would you post a picture of your Raspberry Cream Twirl. Thanks

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

That is going to be so glorious!

4 years ago

I agree, it will be really beautiful! Are those solar lights on your step risers? So cool.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

Wow what a space !!!! Oh my goodness. I’m sure it has challenges but it’s very beautiful

• dianela7analabama
    4 years ago

cherylestes this is going to look amazing. I can't wait to see it! Your entire area there looks beautiful and the Raspberry Cream T was an amazing choice.

• cherylestes
    4 years ago

Hi sultry_jasmine_nights, those aren’t lights just metal brackets.... solar lights would have been beautiful! I’m in Silverado, Southern California so gardening year round here😊. Hopefully gophers won’t get them.... I put some wire screening in hole to help!

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago

What a creative and beautiful use of a steep incline, cherylestes. Please feel free to share more pics ;-)

• cherylestes
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! It was a bare dirt hill when I moved in 4 years ago..... it’s been a work in progress😉. I’m a retired teacher ,67 years old so it’s a slow go! Luckily I had a young family member who designed and built all the railroad tie stairs and terraced planters! He was a Godsend! I love to play in the dirt!

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    2 years ago

Thank you all for your info on RCT. I bought a used arbor/trellis from a neighbor moving back to Michigan...and now am thinking of what kind of rose to climb it. I'm attracted to RCT because of CoriAnn's glowing reviews a couple of years ago and the part it about it being nearly thornless -- the arbor would go over the path from the side of the house to the back of the house, and is well used. So I don't want random thorns catching people! Those of you who've grown it -- would you mind updating your photos? And I'd love to see howyour hillside is looking, @cherylestes!

Thanks!