Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
behlgarden

Roses Shot, very sad, replacing all with new

behlgarden
9 years ago

A while back I had decent roses two years ago, 40 of them. Then last year things went downhill and this year I found bugs eating the inside of Rose stems, found white larva and worms. Yikes. I think these all were diseased where branches died, growth stalled. So I pulled out all and just ordered the following:

Deep Secret
Mme Isaac Pereire
Tahitian Sunset
Bride's Dream
Sweet Afton
Scent-sation
Souvenir du President Lincoln
Black Lady
Iowa Belle
Honorine de Brabant
Sunita
Alec's Red
Fragrant Cloud
Memorial Day
French Perfume

Most these are extremely fragrant roses per heirloom roses, got them for 50% discount per special request.

What are your thoughts of these varieties?
How do you think these would do for me in Southern California inland empire area?

Comments (16)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I don't grow or know about many of these roses, but do think that Mme. Isaac Pereire might not like the heat and at best has most of its blooms in the spring. It can be a disease magnet, although your dry heat may prevent that.

Honorine de Brabant has pretty blooms but is also a poor repeater, having much more foliage than flowers. There are modern striped roses that may do better for you.

A rose I would strongly recommend if you have a position with morning sun and late afternoon shade is Souvenir de la Malmaison, which is my best rose in a climate similar to yours, and is a very spectacular bush. Placement is important since a second bush of it that had morning shade and afternoon sun never did well at all. You will never regret having this rose.

Have you considered the old tea roses (not hybrid teas)? Rosette Delizy is one I can definitely recommend. I have a current thread of pictures on the antique roses forum where you can see it as a peachy rose in the fourth and last pictures. There are others I can recommend if you're interested.

I'm so sorry you lost your previous roses.

Ingrid

• behlgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The correct term for majority of my problem was stem / cane borers. Weather although it does get hot in summer months, only two month in Aug and Sep is when we see temps over 90 degrees and it still cools down to below 65 at nights. My yard gets full sun from sunrise to sunset.

The varities I got was all from Heirloomroses.com and I focussed on fragrance, although I got few that were striped roses. There were other kinds I would have preferred but most were sold out due to outgoing season this year.

What would be your recommendations so I can be on the lookout for them.

Also, as far as stem / cane borers, I still have one side of the yard not puled, but will be pulled tomorrow. I am trying to save as many as possible, I read online that I could remove all bad stems and canes down to the bud at the very bottom. But how about treating the soil with something like Bayer Advanced systemic? Because I will have no growth left in any rose bushes, I dont think I will harm anything in the short term (bees), but will it kill the worms in the soil? Has anyone tried bayer advanced 12-month systemic granules Or concentrate liquid?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Yes, Bayer systemic kills earthworms.

Foster a garden as a sanctuary for birds and avoid insecticides completely--birds and beneficial insects will take care of the borers for you far better than Bayer.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I am going to second Ingrid's suggestion of Souvenir da la malmaisson. I planted it this year in SE TX where it is very hot and humid and it quickly became my favorite rose. It is very fragrant to my nose and has the most beautiful light pink blooms. It has had a very small amount of BS but that is normal for most of my roses in my climate. Right now it is lush and full of blooms. Can you tell I love this rose?? Ingrid enabled me to SDLM and I have not regretted planting her. If I was forced to plant only one rose it would be SDLM.

• behlgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Out of all the roses I got, only Mme Isaac Pereire appears to be shade tolerant, so I might find better shady spot for it. All others are good in full sun. My focus was mix of colors but fragrance was top priority.

I will take your advise and stay away from the Bayer crap.

Should I try to save few that I still have intact by cutting all its growth down to the very bottom globe base? Will it help OR do I have problem that already has infected the soil?

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

I have deadly cane borers that go all the way down to the base of the rose, but they are green caterpillar-looking things. It does help to prune them out, and take a coat hanger or similar to make sure to poke any that are farther down than you can prune. I also squirt spinosad down the holes if I can't prune all of it out.

The holes that drill down into the actual base of the rose are the worst, so now I also try not to prune off any non-drilled canes very close to the base unless absolutely necessary. That way I can see the holes when there is still room to kill them before they get too far.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I don't think we have the same type cane borers on this coast Or so that is what I was told

• cecily
    9 years ago

Meredith has raspberry crown borers. I get them too except... I stopped growing roses with stout canes (HTs) and switched to twiggy roses (antique teas -- eventually the canes get stout after a few years but anything a borer could access is too thin to interest them). Now no more borers. If you love HTs, do like Meredith.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

A very very famous Southern California rosarian pointed out that cane borers (at least, the Southern CA variety) eat aphids. I quit worrying about them, after that.

Inland empire may be a different kettle of fish, but we found 'Mme. Isaac Pereire' inconsistent with a spray-free garden. She either mildewed, or rusted, or mildewed AND rusted, and she is long gone from here.

In fact, I don't think I've ever found a Bourbon that flourished here -- and it's not like we didn't try. Even Hybrid Perpetuals fare better here than most Bourbons.

We honestly do best with Tea Roses and Chinas, and your inland temperatures should be good for Tea Noisettes.

• Jeannie Cochell
    9 years ago

Here in the low desert we have at least two different types of cane borers. One is a little bee that drill the perfect holes in the cut ends of the canes. I still swear that any cheap nail polish used as a pruning sealant can keep them out of the roses. The other type of cane borer is a flat-headed side borer. It's an ugly little creep that can kill a cane all the way down to the graft within very little time. The leaves are still hanging on the cane and the borer is all curled up at the bottom sucking the life out of the graft, I guess. Nasty, nasty things. We find them in the public garden, too and cut the whole cane off to the graft. I don't know any way to keep them out. I suppose a systemic might make the cane toxic to them. I don't use chemical controls at home or in the public garden.

• behlgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Even I didnt spray any chemicals on my roses for past 3 years and I saw them decline to death. Now that I am getting new roses that are small and may not bloom until Spring, I will treat the planter with chemical, I am sure good things will return back to normal within a year but I have to do this, just spent a lot of money on 40 new plants and it gets too expensive. I was under the impression that nature will create battle against these critters but I only saw these take over nature and kill everything.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    9 years ago

Rather than keeping those nasty borers out, can you trick them to bore into something else? I've had borers infest bamboo poles used for staking rose canes.

• cleangeek
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I realize this is an old thread but I just planted Scent-sation and will report next year how it's doing.

As for cane borers: I put Elmer's wood glue on the tip of cut canes, it keeps insects and disease out.

10 Pruning Tips

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The well known exhibitor in our rose garden says he doesn't do anything about cane borers in his garden--he considers them beneficials because they eat aphids. I've not done anything about them for at least two years.

• sharon2079
    8 years ago

Several years ago I lost 10 rose plants all from cane bores. I am not sure what kind they were but they also took out a citrus tree. I tried to use wood glue over a cut, then I tried orange shellac, nothing worked. The borers found or created their own pinpoint hole in the sides of the green cane, even though from what I read they were not supposed to do this. But when I tried to cut the borer out I could go above the worm and find good cane, but they kept finding their way back inside the cane and not from the top or the cut. Eventually, they ate the rose down to the graft killing the rose. Since then I started using the Bayer systemic when I replaced the roses - so far I haven't had any cane borers.

I have also started using spinosad because now I have chilli thrips