Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqmar

Very old rose bush

jacqmar
9 years ago

Where I live there is a large clump of red rose bushes, they have been very pretty for the past several years, they usually bloom a couple times a season. This year we have had a cool and wet summer. They now have yellowed leaves with dark spots and it has only bloomed once so far. Do I need to be concerned?

Comments (6)

• mzstitch
    9 years ago

There is a common fungal disease with roses called black spot. First the leaves get black spots on them, then turn yellow and fall off. Blackspot itself will not likely kill the plant, but it can make it pretty darn ugly for the season. The lesser blooms are likely weather related as well, or just entirely possible the plant is stressed out due to what is happening to its leaves. Without seeing the plant these are my first two guesses, but only guesses. It would be helpful if you could load a picture or two, especially a close up of the leaves so we can verify this is what is happening.

• jacqmar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I looked up a picture of a rose with black spot. Yep, that's what my bushes have. Can I do something for it now, or do I have to wait til spring? I'm new to roses but these are so pretty and have lived a long time.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

For blackspot, I recommend spraying a fungicide called Bayer Garden Disease Control for Roses, Flowers, and Shrubs--available at Lowe's or online. You will also need to buy a sprayer container--available at Home Depot (and maybe at Lowe's also) for about $20. Follow directions carefully for mixing up the fungicide and water.

It is best to spray on a windless (or nearly) day--like earlier in the morning--to avoid a face full of spray if the wind is blowing. You need to decide if you want to spray--read the warnings--and to do it carefully if you decide to.

I spray as little as possible, but I do spray a couple times in the spring and again in the fall. The rest of the time it is too hot for much BS to grow and I tolerate the occasional minor appearances of it, plucking off some of the offending leaves. Mid-summer there isn't much BS around here in my garden, thank goodness--too hot for much BS.

If you only have one or two roses, you can buy a ready-mix spray bottle of Daconil (fungicide available at Wal-Mart and other places) and use it instead --it will cover a handful of roses at most. The Bayer I recommended above covers many roses per batch you mix up. If you use Daconil, don't spray it on the rose Double Delight which hates Daconil.

Wash up afterwards--to protect yourself.

Kate

• mzstitch
    9 years ago

I too prefer the Bayer Disease control. I live in a very black spot prone area and haven't had as good luck with Daconil, and Daconil leaves white splotches on the roses too, where Bayer dries clear. Bayer will stop Blackspot now, the leaves that have it will still likely fall off but it will prevent the Blackspot from spreading. Like Kate, I don't spray as often as recommended, just because I don't like using chemicals more than I have to. As soon as I see some blackspot on my roses they get a good spray, then I just watch them, if I feel they need it again in another three weeks or so I do it again.

• jacqmar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I purchased the Bayer Garden Disease Control for Roses, but it is granules I sprinkle on the ground .

I don't have a Lowes, Home Depot, etc nearby (within 50miles) so I went to Walmart and this is the only product they had. Would this work? There are approximately 4 bushes and they grew together making a large group, very attractive.

I have a planter with Martha Washington geraniums nearby that have the black spot on them now.

Do you think these granules will work for me?

• jacqmar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I finally sprayed the roses and another large shrub. I had to use the Ortho product. Everyone seems to have Black Spot and Mildew on their flowers and shrubs. Thank you all for helping me, even though I couldn't find the Bayer product.