Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Rose Sale in Modesto, CA

Posted by john_ca CA US9/SSZ14 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 22:04

For those in the Modesto, CA area: there is an unusually good rose sale at Four Seasons Farms nursery in Modesto, CA. They have a huge selection of David Austin roses, including some new releases for 2010. The roses are growing in fiber pots and are for the most part healthy and in excellent shape. The sale price for these, is $10 to $12.50 plus tax. I found Claire Austin Munstead Woods, Windemere, Lichtfield Angel, Tea Clipper, Hyde Hall, Strawberry Fields, The Squire, Young Lycidss, Sir John Betjamin, Brother Cadfael, and many more. There were also roses from the Romantica group (Polka, Full Moon Rising, Colette, Lunar Mist, and others as well as many of the Jackson and Perkins roses. I don't remember ever seeing a sale quite like this one before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Rose Sale in Modesto, CA

Are they going out of business?

Jeri

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 12:02

Great deal! Which ones did you get?

o

Jeri: No, not going out of business. They are the only nursery in the area marketing Austins. They say then need someone to address their gardening group to explain what they are and see if they can increase their popularity. I have grown around 120 different Austins over a period of over 20 years so I may do this for them.

hoovb: I got 22! Some of them are: Claire Austin Munstead Woods, Windemere, Lichtfield Angel, Tea Clipper, Hyde Hall, Strawberry Fields, The Squire, Young Lycidss, Sir John Betjamin, Brother Cadfael, Lunar Mist, Colette, Classic Woman, A Shropeshire Lad, Souv. de la Malmaison, Seduction, The Alnwich Rose, St. Swithun, and 3 more I can't remember right now. I moved into a new unlandscaped house in December on an acre and needed to add a few roses.

o

Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 21:16

Wow john_ca, you got some good ones. I would be interested in hearing your comments on 'Claire Austin', 'Munstead Woods', in fact all of them in a few months (please?).

...on an acre and needed to add a few roses...

More than "a few", we hope! :)
Congrats on your new home--a whole acre--I can only envy. No water restrictions?

o

hoovb

These 22 are joining around 80 that are already there, so not to worry. We are planting large planters of cottage garden mixes of annuals, perennials and English roses. Lots of fun but lots of work!

As for water, we have new well with a larger pump than I think was necessary-but the folks who built (and lost the house) kind of overdid everything in the house-appliances, cabinetry, etc. We are very close to the Stanislaus River, so we should be in good shape, even in drought years. Life is good!!!!

o

Fri, Aug 13, 10 at 16:26

Sounds like you found a great spot, but now we want to see pictures of that beautiful garden! :)

o

I will try to take some photoes AFTER we clear away some weeds. It is amazing how fast they (weeds) grow. We just got all the roses, other shrubs and trees in these borders on drip, but are still sprinkling the annuals & perennials.

I will report of the perfomance of these new ones. Went back Saturday and got Polka, Full Moon Rising (pale yellow color sport of Polka), Black Baccarole (sp?),White Meidiland, and The Generous Gardener. Still lots of inventory left for those in the area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here