Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Spots on my rose bush leaves

Posted by k2laser Florida (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 22:28

How do I treat these spots? What is it? What causes it?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Spots on my rose bush leaves

• Posted by jim1961 z 5/6 central pa (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 23:47

Once the leaves get the spots (Bs fungus), they will sooner or later turn yellow and fall off the bush. Nothing you can do to rid the leaves of the spots (fungus) or to save those infected leaves. Blackspot is a rose fungal disease.
Prevention is the key to stopping Blackspot.
Blackspot info below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackspot

o

Thanks Jim!!!

o

• Posted by jim1961 z 5/6 central pa (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 21, 10 at 18:30

k2laser,

Your zone is completely different than our zone. So, if you have anymore specific questions about your area and roses, try making a new thread with the word "Florida" in the
"Subject of Posting" box to target Florida rose growers.
Take care ;-)

o

K2laser,
I live in South Carolina and we have the hot humid summers, not as long as you, but we sure get hot during the summer and the humidity is so thick you can hardly breathe.
There are some hybrid teas that are very black spot resistant, I would research that onine and ask in this forum for some names of some of them.
You really can't ever get rid of black spot on a rose.
You can spray all kinds of expensive sprays dilligently on the rose bush and canes, constantly keep the rose bush real clean, don't let the infected leaves blow into other roses, and they will always have it.
I bought for the first time this spring a knock out rose, double red.
It is the only rose in my garden that doesn't have black spot. It is absolutley gorgeous! Clean foliage, and grows fast.
When I get tired of all the nonsense for my hybrid tea rose trees and black spot, I will buy another knock out.
All you ahve to do is water them, don't even dead head them.
Low maintance, it is a beautiful thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here