Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadian_rose

Please help identify this rose - 2 choices

canadian_rose
9 years ago

Well, I have done it again.
I've lost the tags to two roses. AGAIN!!! Every year I say that I'll be more careful. Never learn.

Anyway - the two roses that I'm confused between are
- Dame de Coeur
- Baronne Edmond de Rothschild

BOTH have a silvery underside. It's hard to take a picture now - camera needs charging :) and it just rained - so everything's pretty soggy.

I'm thinking that because BOTH have a silvery backside that one of the roses was mislabelled, because I think that Dame de Coeur is one color.

Also one is quilled. So far (bare roots) the quilled one is half the height/width of the non-quilled one.

I HATE having roses that I don't know the names of. Darn. Darn. Darn.

Any ideas?
Thanks so much,
Carol

Comments (9)

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Dame de Coer is red. Rothschild is mauve. Look at the images on Help Me Find-Roses. You will easily see the difference. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Help Me Find-Roses

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, you'd think it would be easy. :)
    But I was still not sure.
    I'll look again.
    And I don't think that Dame de Coeur has a silver backing, making me think I have a mislabelled rose??
    I'll look again. :)
    Carol

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

All the Dame de Coeurs I've seen are a solid true red. Not huge flowers, and they are really "true" red. I don't recall ANY silvery reverse.

The Baronne d. R. I've seen (not near as many) have oversized, distinctly bi-colored blooms. The silvery back side of the petals is very obvious, & it's nothing like the saturated velvetly red of DdC.

Young plants often don't produce the flowers that are exactly characteristic of the mature ones, but if those 2 are looking at all similar, yes, I wonder if you have a real Dame de Coeur.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the rose I think is Baronne Edmonde d.Rothschild.

Carol

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the one that doesn't seem to match anything. Unless it's the Baron, and not the one above. The blooms are pretty much spent.

I think I agree with you, Bluegirl.
    Carol

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Carol, the first photo looks like the Rothschild I grew for twenty-plus years. The second photo is very similar in color but the form is way off for what Rothschild looked like here. That could be clmate, so it's not a positive ID. Are you certain the two roses are different? I'm wondering if they might be the same rose, and are both Rothschild. Kim

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kim - thanks for the I.D. on the first rose. Yay!!
    Second rose - you could be right. I certainly didn't order two of the same variety - but that stuff happens. I'll post another picture when a new bloom happens. Might not be for awhile.
    Thanks!!
    Carol

• roseseek
    9 years ago

You're welcome, Carol. Check the foliage, wood, prickles and scent of newly opened blooms. Weather, fertilizer, moisture levels and climate can affect bloom shape, but the coloring of the blooms appear very similar to me between the two. Are there other darker mauve HTs you've bought, or is Rothschild the darker one that's followed you home? Rothschild is quite fragrant, or was here. It always appeared to me that none of the major US producers picked it up because they had Silk Hat in the pipeline. In my garden and to my taste, Rothschild was the superior plant and bloom, but it boils down to economics. Had they pushed Rothschild, they would have owed Meilland the royalties. Waiting for Silk Hat, they got to keep all the royalties for themselves. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Silk Hat

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, Silk Hat and Baronne seem quite similar! Both have the silver reverse.

The 2nd rose has quilled petals. I think it could be anything. Don't think it's something I ordered.

I know it might sound weird/uneconomical etc. but if I don't know the name of it - I would just as soon as give it away as keep it. :(

Well, I'll keep you posted as new blooms come. Since it's a new rose (bare root) it might take a while. Whereas Baron EdR is twice the height and has many blooms. I agree with you. I love it!!
    Carol