Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madcitymike

A few words about Edmunds roses......

madcitymike
15 years ago

I know there have been a lot of questions about Edmunds since they were sold. When I reported earlier this year on the bare-roots I received from them I promised to report back later in the year with an update. So I'm here to tell you there is nothing wrong with these roses. Here's a shot of Honey Dijon at 3 1/2 ft tall planted this April.

{{gwi:322834}}

Comments (23)

• chuck_billie
    15 years ago

Glad to hear that.
    I think the next few years will tell the story.
    I've heard nothing about how they plan to handle the growing of the Roses, shipping, customer service, etc.
    Hopefully the quality tradition will continue.
    I sure hope so.

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

I ordered 2 Firefighter roses from them rather reluctantly this spring because they were the only place I could find them. The first order arrived with dead black stems that of course refused to grow at all over thenext several months. I contacted them and was quite firm about expecting green stems with active leaf buds on my roses, and recived the most incredible big strong green stemmed roses that quickly burst into full growth!

I say be firm with them about your expectations....it worked for me, though the woman who answered my phone call was very cranky.

• pwwwayne
    15 years ago

I did not know Edmunds had been sold. I have bought bushes from them for several years (~6) with never, even one problem.

This year I bought 5 plants and none of them grew! I sent pictures of all 5; they though 1 was viable. They replaced the other 4 with new plants of same varieties.

Wonderful, I thought! They have turned out to be puny dwarfs that have barely grown at all and produced few blossoms.

I had planned to buy new ones next spring but now having stumbled on this thread, I am at a serious loss!!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

I bought Falling in Love from them in early spring 2006. It was a large healthy bare root rose that continues to thrive for me. Just for informations sake could you please say what roses you bought from them that were not up to par. Maybe there is a pattern???

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

At one time, Edmunds propagated the roses they sold. Their growing fields were in Oregon.
    Then there was the time when their fall offerings were on multiflora and spring were on Dr. Huey. (And the roses in their show gardens were on multiflora even AFTER they stopped selling their roses on multiflora)
    And they stopped propagating roses, but farmed that out to other well known and respected growers. And many, many times, the stock we'd buy from Edmunds would be the creme de la creme of the harvest.
    Then the senior Edmunds died. And a year and several months later, the sale of Edmunds was announced with the junior Edmunds acting as advisor for a year.
    But the roses were no longer being stored in and shipped from Oregon. Because the roses are harvested in December, they are now being stored ...I'd guess in Wisconsin.....and there may be the problem. It's a lot harder to moderate storage temperatures in Wisconsin than in near coastal Oregon. And to keep them moderated for months until shipping times happen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jung buys Edmunds

• pwwwayne
    15 years ago

I have requested my last rose order information from Edmunds and will post when they respond.

• pwwwayne
    15 years ago

These are the 5 varieties of rose bushes I ordered from Edmunds that have been defective and have not performed well at all, very different from all previous orders:

Rose Dream Come True Grandif
    Rose Maria Shriver Grandiflo      Â
    Rose Mardi Gras Floribunda         Â
    Rose Melody Parfumee Grandif      Â
    Rose Sonia GrandifloraÂ

• athenainwi
    15 years ago

I bought Melody Parfumee and Falling in Love from Edmunds this spring. They've both done well. I think being in Wisconsin helps though as they didn't have a long travel time.

• Siri z8b San Juan Islands, WA
    7 years ago

Wondering if anyone has any more recent experience with roses from Edmund's? I was hoping to buy several plants from them for my smallscale flower farm, but the reviews on Dave's Garden are not all very positive. Any insight would be much appreciated!

• rosesmi5a
    7 years ago

I've ordered from them the past two years. Fine plants, great roots, easy to work with people on their phones.

Sunny, in cold snowy Michigan

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    7 years ago

I've ordered the last two years too. No problems, delivery on time, roses looked great and grew well for me.

• Siri z8b San Juan Islands, WA
    7 years ago

Thanks for responding, that's really good to know! Thinking I will go ahead and order from them, nowhere else has so many of the varieties I want and at such great prices. I will definitely update here with my own buying and growing experience.

• SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

Oh good. Cuz I just placed an order with them for 5 roses.

• Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    7 years ago

They are the only place I will buy any roses on Dr. Huey. I have always received great plants from them. My order for this year will be placed in about 10 days. I'm READY for spring but I know February will have some nasty weather. I just hope all the "nasty" weather will be gone by the end of Feb.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    7 years ago

Ken did you get the email with the discount code? (Code : ORDEREARLY ). It's good this weekend for 10% off if you spend $50. I think they still have free shipping if you spend $100 till the end of the month.

Has anyone ordered from Jung's recently? They had a couple I was interested in trying out.

Thanks!

Julie

• lisa more
    6 years ago

I ordered 3 Roses in April. 2 are fine, the 3rd one is Edith's Darling from the Downton Abbey collection and it is Blooming but the blooms are tiny only about 2" across. I called and the women I spoke to said they should be bigger next year. I have never had a rose bush with blooms that got much bigger the 2nd year, They were supposed to be 3 to 5" across. Anyone have experience with this? Thank you.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Lisa I have seen that rose in person at a nursery and the blooms were indeed small . It was pretty though !

• lisa more
    6 years ago

Thank you Lily, It is pretty but I wanted bigger blooms, the description said 3-5". not 1-2" Not sure what to do :(

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

I received a beautiful Dick Clark Rose from them and it took off immediately it's a beautiful full bush with lucious leaves super healthy loaded with blooms it has taken off faster than any of the ones I've gotten from David Austin or Palatine they all came the same week.

I order arrived package very nicely and it came quickly I would definitely recommend Edmunds

• Mary Apfel-vandeyacht
    6 years ago

Some roses will be smaller the first year or so. My st Patric has very tiny blooms that almost look mini size this year. Next year they will be larger. Also, could need a bit of fertilizer

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

It's true that rose blooms do get bigger in their second or third years so this may not be the final size. However, I wouldn't expect the blooms of this one to get huge. Edith's Delight is classed as a miniflora, and that usually means the blooms are supposed to be smaller than average rose bloom size.

I'd use this one at the foot of a larger rose that has "bare knees" and they can complement each other. Just a thought.
    Cynthia

• lisa more
    6 years ago

Thank you Cynthia! That was not in the description or I would not have purchased it:( Great idea for using it,t hough :)