Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

What sized blooms on Brothers Grimm rose?

Hi,

I was wondering what size are the blooms on the Brothers Grimm Fairy Tale rose bush (kordes)?

And what do you think of the rose bush in general.

Does it have Great Disease resistance?

Thank You in advance for any info...

Comments (12)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Also: Do the blooms stay a orange color a long time or
    do they fade to pink quickly?
    Do blooms last long on the bush or blow quickly?
    Thanks...

Original Author
    12 years ago

Anybody?

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    12 years ago

I have had this one for several years. It has reasonably good disease resistance, but I have to spray it along with everybody else in the garden. It is NOT a compact bush. It will throw long canes. The flowers are about 3 inches across and a little larger in cool weather. The color is bright orange with a yellow reverse, but they fade to pink and blow rather quickly. It is an okay variety for me. I have no plan to get rid of it, but I won't plant any more of it either. For an orange floribunda, Light My Fire and Impatient do quite well for me and have more flowers on a well-mannered bush.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Bustopher

• TNY78
    12 years ago

I planted mine as an own-root band in an existing flowerbed in full sun, back in April (maybe even March), and I've only gotten one bloom off of it all summer. Its very slow growing for me. I wonder if it does better as a grafted plant? Its the same for Lions Fairy Tale and Caramela Fairy Tale for me....verrrry slow to take off, I'm hopeing for a growth spurt in the spring! But the foliage has remained healthy....there's just not much growth.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hope they pick up in growth for you TNY78...
    Thanks for your input...

• gardenbug
    10 years ago

I am in British Columbia. My BG put out a lot of new growth, lots of blooms that fade to pink quickly. I find it is highly susceptible to PM. I have to spray constantly.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I since talked to a friend who tried some of the Kordes fairy tale roses. Sadly they do not do well around here with blackspot or PM.
    So those are off my list...

• Noni Morrison
    10 years ago

I have this on Multiflora from Palatine roses and it puts on quite a show! It is very multicolored when it blooms, full of pinky orange, cherry pink and yellow reverses. THe flowers have a mild "violet" fragrance that is very pleasing to me.It makes many many flowers. MIne grows quite huge and will be moving out of the container I was growing it in the fall. It throws 5 or 6' long canes then blooms heavily. No health issues here that I have seen. But Palatines Roses on muliflora really really like my soil!
    I like this rose a lot though it would not look great in a formal rose garden, but in my mixed flower garden it is very nice. I am glad I chose it.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

I'm surprised that the FT roses aren't doing well for your friend. Caramel FT is gangbusters here, no spray, fully foliated all season, no blackspot, no powdery mildew. Floral FT is now getting the late season cruds, but it was great for most of the season, also no powdery mildew. Mine are also from Palatine, grafted on R. multiflora.

• buford
    10 years ago

I have Caramella, it does get black spot and does throw out long canes. I wound up 'pegging' it into a round shape and it looked great. Of course that only lasts 2 years, this year I had to prune it a lot and repeg. This way, it gets covered in blooms. One other not so great thing about it, it is not self cleaning, and the spent blooms are ugly and ruin the look of the other fresh flowers around it. However, the blooms, from bud to open, are beautiful.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

I ordered BG for spring but my other FT roses have grown like gangbusters on multiflora. Not much bloom but I am hoping after spring pruning it will bloom.
    So healthy!!! And I am no spray. Like Diane, mine got the late season crud but lost maybe 2% of leaves and those were low and interior which I should've removed earlier in the season anyway to prevent BS.
    I highly recommend them!
    Susan