Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shellfleur

September Morn - early HT

shellfleur
10 years ago

Hi, does anyone grow this rose? HMF lists it as released in 1913. I am getting it from Rogue Valley Roses at the end of the week as my "free rose." It looks gorgeous but I can't seem to find much about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: September Morn on HMF

Comments (8)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Intensely fragrant. Gorgeous, very double pink flowers. Addicted to mildew, so put it where you can best accommodate treatments for it. I grew it as a budded plant on Huey from the old nursery which used to be in San Jose, the mention of whose name will get me banished to Disneyland. I know HMF states "disease resistant", and the person who provided that information found it so, but for me, for YEARS, it mildewed constantly. And, that was in a relatively arid, quite hot environment with regular, frequent irrigation and no reflected/radiated heat as it was grown in a bed of roses with no hardscape near it. Kim

• shellfleur
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Kim, I rarely ever see mildew here on my roses. Blackspot is usually our big problem. Its good to know that about September Morn. Any idea of how big she will get? HMF says up to 7 ft high and 4 ft wide. Here, I don't have any roses get that big except climbers. Is it definitely a 'back of the border' rose? I appreciate your comments! -shelley

• roseseek
    10 years ago

You're welcome Shelley. Mine grew in direct, hot, full sun, as did everything else in that garden. In winter, every rose received at least ten hours of sun. The "shade" was far enough away it altered how early or late the sun shined on them. In summer, it was sun up to sun down. September Morn never had to reach for light, which probably dwarfed a number of things due to the intensity of the light. I never remember seeing it more than four feet tall, by about as wide in that garden. I gave it to one of the HOA members when I dismantled the garden, and I see it each time I visit my sister who lives there. She keeps it about three by three feet. Kim

• shellfleur
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kim, four feet sounds good to me. I don't need a 7 ft HT for that space! Thanks again for your help. Enjoy the day!

• User
    10 years ago

The only specimens of 'September Morn' I ever saw that weren't crippled by disease were in SoCal. Mine dwindled and died once I stopped spraying. I never saw so much Mildew in my life.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I had the rose for quite a few yrs. I also got mine from the supplier Kim mentioned, many yrs ago. Unfortunately, I don't think his grafting abilities were very good. I lost almost all the roses I got from him. SEPTEMBER MORN was one of the few that lasted the longest. It wasn't a very good bloomer but when it did bloom, they were pretty. I bet you'll have better luck with an own-root one.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

From how own root plants of it performed here we propagated for Huntington sales, properly budded ones should do significantly better than own root in harsher conditions. The main issues with that supplier were chronic virus (often quite severe) and his shipping bare roots year round, including the high heat of summer, because he found it "worked". OK. Kim

• shellfleur
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You all have me wishing I had asked about September Morn before I selected it as my "free rose." It sounds like its going to "cost me" much aggravation. Hopefully not. Thanks everyone, for your input. I stand warned. :)