Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buck roses and fragrance

Posted by dregae In,6a (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 1:47

I was wondering if anyone who has buck roses could give me some insight into their fragrance. I tend to stick with ogr's and Austin's because fragrance is very important to me, but after reading about the buck rose "honey sweet" and that is smells good I got to wondering if there are any other buck roses that have wonderful fragrances.

Grace e

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buck roses and fragrance

I bought Quietness because I've read in various places that the fragrance is outstanding. It sure is pretty...mine hasn't bloomed yet, though...and really is kind of wimpy so far.

o

I, too, have heard Quietness is good, tho I don't have it. I do have a few other Bucks, but, as another OGR grower, I am disappointed in them for bloom, fragrance and shape of bush. I try to grow a few of every kind of rose and maybe I've just made bad selections.

o

'Quietness' is not strongly fragrant to me, but it is an outstanding rose.

'Distant Drums' has a strong myrrh fragrance, but is not as tough as some of the Bucks. 'Prairie Valor' ha a strong damask fragrance, but it is very susceptible to blackspot and died out in a no-spray garden here. 'Winter Sunset' has an interesting dark fragrance to me. The other 8 or 10 that I've grown either have only a slight fragrance or slightly unpleasant chemical or beery notes. I don't know 'Honey Sweet'.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 17:27

I have 5 Buck roses. While I love the blooms on all of them some are much better growers than others.

The best by far is Quietness. It's a beautiful, HEALTHY, 4 X 4 ft. shrub for me that blooms frequently. It's very winter hardy too. It does have a good fragrance but not as strong as say something like Double Delight.

Next best is Winter Sunset. This one also blooms a lot but is not quite as healthy. It is hardy though. Some fragrance but not a lot.

Iobelle is one of the few HTs from Buck. It's a gorgeous bloom but has a much slower repeat like you would expect with an HT. Very hardy but not great health. NO fragrance that I can detect and it does not have exhibition form.

Rural Rhythm is not a very vigorous grower at all. It has continued to come back each year but it's only about 2 ft tall after about 6 years. It is very fragrant though, which is what attracted me to it in the first place. I just wish it would grow better.

Country Music is even weaker than RR. Blooms very little, usually only once in the spring. It does have some fragrance but not very strong. I'm thinking of shovel pruning it.

o

Thanks for the insight folks. I had several buck roses on my 'want' list for spring. I might have to 'backspace' prune them. 'Prairie sunrise' and 'Winter sunset' were on the list.

SCG

o

I've got both Quietness and Honesweet on order for next spring. Had a posting about Honeysweet a bit ago as I was asking about overall attributes.

Predfern (Chicago z5) stated, "Honeysweet blooms her heart out for me. Not much fragrance though. Color looks like an explosion in a lipstick factory." Everyone else seemed happy with disease resistance though no other comments on fragrance.

o

I just got Prairie Harvest as a present for a friend's weekend garden. Prairie Harvest is reputedly "moderately fragrant". Perhaps that means slightly. Anyway, I hope it is hardy and has has at least some fragrance. It does look very fetching. I was sold on it by attached link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: rave for

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here