Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Going to buy mirage and blushing nockout any idea?

Posted by Busybee010 Melbourne (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 5:06

I am going to buy mirage and blushing nock out rose. I saw than today in a nursary. Anyone grow them? Are they repeat flowering? I am looking for mass and repeat flowering floribunda rose. I need a help. New to rose plant. Any advice wiil be appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going to buy mirage and blushing nockout any idea?

I grow Blushing Knockout here in No Cal, where we have cool wet winters and warm dry summers. Mine is growing in partial shade. It is healthy, which I guess is the point, but it does not re-bloom much at all. Probably not enough sun. It is in a part of my garden with some old tea roses (Mme Joseph Schwartz, Safrano) and a lovely red china rose, and they re-bloom much more in the same amount of light.

What kind of climate is it where you are?

Jackie

o

Thanks jackie for your reply. I'm from melborne in Australia. Here weather is cold most of the time. We have the summer 3/4 months. But my roses get full sun the best is possible whole year.I put them into most sunny place in backyard. I have two tea manou melliland and Peter frankenfeld. I bough them in July.Not a single flower yet. When i bough them dont know anything about roses just go on their color pink.So I want to buy one or two repeat and mass flowering pink floribunda now. Tryin to find out yet. Thanks.

o

• Posted by curdle 9b, Australia (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 10:42

Hi Busybee - I know its a bit late to chime in, but I hadn't noticed the thread before this.
I'm a beginner rose grower, and in Melbourne too. I wouldn't be worried about your roses not blooming this early. If you bought yours in July, i am assuming they were bareroots? that is, pretty much just sticks, and not many leaves? They will need some time to grow and develop roots, then to leaf out a bit before flowering. I bought quite a few myself, and I am only just getting a few buds now.
You could take a look at the Victorian Rose society website

http://www.rosesocietyvic.org.au/

they have a list of roses they recommend (including floribundas), and a month by month calendar of what you should do to look after them. Although so far I have been doing without all the spraying they advise....

o

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 18:17

I don't know how blushing knockout will perform in australia but for midatlantic America, it does fantastic. I have two bushes and they grow very well for me. Big flush in the spring, big flush in fall, and flowers here and there during the summer despite the soil being poor and dry and even with no application of fertilizers. All I do to them is prune them to about 1/3 of the bush in early spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here