Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bart_2010

Karlsruhe risks extinction???

bart_2010
9 years ago

I'm sad to note that,here in Europe, this beautiful rose is becoming ever more rare and hard to find. It seems to be no longer available from Schultheis -and with their lack of communication skills, I don't see how I'd ever find out if they intend to change this in future. I went ahead and splurged, ordering from Peter Beales (it counts as splurging, because of the money lost with the exchange between euros and pounds); I ordered three. It's really a shame that such a rose should be lost; I sure hope that PB can send me my 3 plants...bart

Comments (15)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I know nothing about this rose but would love to see some photos when it blooms.

Good luck.

Kate

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

Bart-- are you looking for any other German roses? Let me know, I am finding many rose sellers are not on HMF, and often not online. Older kordes are harder to find because they are really want to be selling the newest and most healthy varieties. Germans are not big into nostalgia.. But I am going to try and find you a karlsruhe. many castles and public rose gardens make rooted cuttings of what they have and sell at souvenirs. I'm going to see if i can find one locally there has to be one not far from here. If there are any others let me know and I will do my best! Nin

• lynnette
    9 years ago

Karlsruhe is a beautiful climber in my garden but tends to be a stiff grower and poor repeat. However it has been replaced by Rosarium Uetersen which is very similar in looks but has more vigour plus bloom better. Here is Karlsruhe.

• bart_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is very kind of you, Ninkasi,I will keep your offer in mind.Do let me know what other roses you find around in gardens and castles in Germany,in any case!!! This is interesting stuff... I have already paid for my Peter Beales order, just hope they won't run out of Karlsruhe before they get to me. This stuff about the german rose nurseries...hmmm...This was discussed before, on another thread,the difficulty some of us non-Germans have had in trying to communicate with some of these german nurseries who appear to have interesting and fine collections,but have zero to no communication skills. A couple of years ago, I tried to order from Martin Weingart,but recieved no response to my e-mail. I ended up finding the rose that I wanted at another site and ordered it from this other company. Now, the same sort of thing has happened with Schultheis. I wrote a couple of times to them, and recieved no reply.I was going to try ordering on-line, through their site, but when I saw that Karlsruhe was out of stock,I decided to forget it,and ordered from Beales instead; after all, apart from Karlsruhe, the only others I really wanted to try from Scultheis were Schultheis Rose Millenium, Souvenir de J. Mermet,and perhaps Katherina Von Bora and Rosendorf Steinfurth. Souv. de J. Mermet is offered elsewhere, as is R. Steinfurth,so, sorry guys, but I just don't feel motivavated enough to try to deal with people who don't seem to want to meet me half way.
    Lynette, years ago i did have a plant of Karlsruhe (also from P. Beales). I lost it due to my own errors. I now have Laguna: a glorious rose indeed; it's only slight defect for me is that the colour is often too reddish,rather than what to my eye registers as a true "deep pink" . Instead, I remember Karlsruhe as being this "true deep pink" colour. I have always stayed away from Rosarium Uetersen because of this colour issue: I have always seen R.U. described as being more a deep CORAL type pink;i.e.,a very warm, orangey tone that doesn't really float my boat. I do plan to add a couple other Lagunas to my garden, in places where I need something very vigorous, with perfect foliage and good re-bloom

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

I've been looking for this rose forever. I read about years ago when it was featured in a gardening magazine. I wish I could find it. It's a beautiful rose and yet I wonder why it's not readily available.

• mariannese
    9 years ago

No response from Martin Weingart! I am surprised. He once called me at work and although I was then (retired now) fairly used to receive calls from Germany, it was a shock to get a call from him. He wanted to make sure I understood that I had to winter protect some of the roses I'd ordered. I've always found German nurseries to be very friendly to customers, especially the smaller ones in the former DDR.

• bart_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mariannese, do you speak German, by any chance? because in the discussion about Schultheis,it was posited that the language issue might be pertinent. I speak no German at all; if I did I would try phoning these nurseries that don't respond to e-mails. The thing with the e-mailing is that, I always figure that if the person who recieves the e-mail isn't too fluent with English, they can find someone to help them out, but if I telephone, and the person answering doesn't know English, then what do In do?

• mariannese
    9 years ago

I speak German and French but not well any more and I have even greater trouble writing correctly. But that doesn't bother me as long as I am being understood. Both Germans and French are usually quite tolerant with foreigners (even Parisians nowadays!). I use Google translate a lot when writing.

Martin Weingart is an elderly man, brought up in a small town in the former DDR when Russian was the only foreign language taught in most schools. I think his business must be quite small for him to call a customer in person so he probably doesn't have any English speaking employees.

• bart_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I bet it is a language thing-at least for Mr. Weingart's nursery! after all, English has only become the "international" language recently,now that the Digital Age is in full swing...

• User
    9 years ago

Bellarosa, as far as I know Karlsruhe is, sadly, no longer available in the US. Vintage was the only nursery that carried it - I got mine from them a number of years ago. If I have time this fall, I hope to try some burrito cuttings, and I'll see if I can get one of Karlsruhe to take for you (but sorry to say I'm not all that great at cuttings, so don't get you hopes up too much!)

I have seen Rosarium Uetersen at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, and while its a pretty rose it is quite different from Karlsruhe. Bart, you are right that RU is a deep coral; Karlsruhe, at least to my eye, is a pure deep cool rose pink. Such a shame to see this rose disappearing! It may not have the best rebloom of all roses, but its beautiful and deserving, imho!

• bart_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I think it's a real shame, too. Maybe the Kordes people feel that it's been "improved upon" or "superseded" by Laguna and RU,because of vigour and re-bloom issues...but the colour? I remember karlsruhe as being, indeed,a "pure deep cool rose pink",as frances describes it,whereas Laguna is, to me,less perfectly pleasing, since it veers too close to what I call "red"...not that I don't like Laguna; I'll probably get a couple others, for places in my large landscape where I want a big,VERY vigourous dark green and dark red-pink splash that will maintain this aspect all season, since my Laguna, at least, has had perfect foliage and some flowers (without dead-heading) all season. So, sure, it's a fine rose,but it can't take the place of Karlsruhe...

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Karlsruhe exists in The Friends of Vintage Roses collection and will be protected there. I'm glad you got one(2?) Bart. I think it's beautiful. Right now it is covered in blooms.

• nastarana
    9 years ago

I have a Karlsruhe I bought from VG about 3 years ago. It is one of my better shrubs. Climbers don't really climb in my climate except for the amazing Cl. Sunflare which is doing its' reach for the roofs thing. I hope it will survive the winter.

My Karlsruhe blooms steadily throughout the season, and is mostly cane hardy. I wonder if I would have any luck propagating with hardwood cuttings? I don't keep the house warm enough for soft wood cuttings to take, because the heating bills here are horrendous.

• bart_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have ordered THREE Karlsruhes, mendocino. I am so glad that Friends of Vintage Roses is helping to conserve these living treasures. I can't say anything to help about cuttings, nastrana,having little to no experience,but was wondering: could you try layering one of your Karlruhe's branches? (not sure if I've used the right term, but what I mean is burying part of a branch of the plant that includes bud eyes ,weighing it down if necessary,and letting the end of it stick up out of the soil,then keeping it watered and waiting patiently to see if it roots) I seem to remember that it's habit would permit this. I have had luck in reproducing roses this way,though am not at all sure if all kinds will do this...bart

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

Is this rose still available? Wish I could get one. It's a beauty.